Dampierre Tournament Status Update: LEGAL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ooofmatic

World Warrior
As of now Dampierre is currently a pre-order exclusive character only.

That means that not everyone will have equal access to train against him. Because of this, and for the same reason as any console exclusive characters, he will be banned at all major North American tournaments until he becomes available to everyone via DLC.

Feel free to discuss the ban here.

Ban Dampierre and Ezio.........

But seriously, if he does become a DLC he should be legal. However, Pre-Order DOES NOT mean you buy the game Day 1. Just put down 5 Dollars and you get him whenever you buy the game.

IMO Just Ban Oof from using him.

From an accessibility point of view, I say Dampierre and the other console-exclusive character remain banned from tournament play until a few weeks after they become available to everyone.

From an accessibility point of view, I say Dampierre and the other console-exclusive character remain banned from tournament play until a few weeks after they become available to everyone.

I could see the logic in that. That being said, I don't expect any major tournaments to happen until such characters are readily available.

Also, what about new characters coming in to dominate *cough* Skarlett *cough* ?

Oof don't even sweat it, I can't wait to see what you do with him as your main. I agree keep him banned until he is open to everyone, but I doubt that will take long at all.

You know, Oof, I thought your friend on Facebook was wrong when he said it took a year and a half for Yoda/Vader to become DLC on their opposing consoles. I just couldn't remember well enough to be sure

As long as we're not constantly running into tournaments that don't have all the characters, we shouldn't have any problems here. So far, nobody's been announced as console exclusive. This dev team at least APPEARS to have a good head on their collective shoulders, and I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt here in assuming they know how badly console exclusives fuck with a tournament scene.

Not all of you were around for "Why is Link banned? Fuck this I'm not playing!" but for those of us that were, we need more of that shit like we need a hole in the head.

Some guy getting salty at a tournament because he lost to some weird character that he couldn't go into training mode with seems like an awkward hypothetical reason to ban a character that people might be interested in playing. I'd rather have all characters be allowed. I guess it doesn't really matter though cause he'll probably be available after a short time.

Weren't we allowing Darth Vader? This is certainly less radical than that.

My stance is everyone should be playable on the condition that the game remains balanced for their inclusion. Shura is not cool because apparently she could get better reach than Cervantes could, for instance. That's justifiable.

I don't really see why Dampierre violates the balance of the game (though, it's not in our hands either so...we'll see when we can purchase him).

Some guy getting salty at a tournament because he lost to some weird character that he couldn't go into training mode with seems like an awkward hypothetical reason to ban a character that people might be interested in playing. I'd rather have all characters be allowed. I guess it doesn't really matter though cause he'll probably be available after a short time.
yeah but what about groups of players that didn't get the tournament edition and have no practice at all fighting him? You're at a severe disadvantage if you've never fought a character before, you'll easy die to weak gimmicky setups. Adding insult to injury, Dampierre is likely full of gimmicks.

At launch party tournaments he obviously should be legal since nobody has experience against anybody anyway. Other than that though, we should wait until the character is released as DLC before unbanning.

The whole point of Ezio not being console exclusive is so that he doesn't get banned from tournaments, so the people who do want to use him can do so. I'm glad that Namco took that feedback because I wanted to avoid banning a character because he's exclusive to a console or because he did not fit into the setting somehow.

I also can't wait to try out Dampierre, but obviously he would be banned until everyone is able to access him. Hopefully he won't be exclusive for too long. Plus you know way ahead of time that this will be the case, so plan accordingly.

That part right there. The reason dumb gimmicks, tricks and online mixup bullshit doesn't win tournaments past the first few weeks or so is because we have the opportunity to study the characters and how they work. If Dampierre isn't available to everyone, and you lose to him in tourney because you weren't able to see what he's got, you've got every right to be salty about him being allowed in the first place.

Most of the people whining about Link not being allowed never understood this, they just wanted what they wanted. Not to say that we weren't willing to play them on the side, which we did on the few occasions that they showed up. As far as I can remember, no player bought SC2 because of Link, and then became any kind of factor in the tournament scene. Them not being able to understand why Link was banned played hand in hand with them not understanding how to improve at fighting games.

As far as I can remember, no player bought SC2 because of Link, and then became any kind of factor in the tournament scene.
lolo told me that he would never have gotten into SC if it weren't for Link. And I believe that was also the case for LinkRKC.

And just for the record, I created this thread knowing full well that he would be banned, I just figured I would play devil's advocate in the first post just for the sake of starting this discussion. It will give new players a heads up instead of surprising them come tournament announcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back