Darkwings13 Artworks

darkwings13

[14] Master
Well, I've been drawing for a long time and I thought I would just share some of my artworks here on 8wayrun, since most of them is about Soul Calibur anyway (>^.^)
Please, if you have tips or critiques, tell me. I would love to hear your opinions and I know that I have areas I need to improve on as well. Anyway, here we go =)

Materials:
Wacom Bamboo tablet
Photoshop CS5 and CS6
Lead Pencil
Thin Permanent Marker
The Sacred Eraser
My creativity (which is often hindered by artist block)
Xianghua and Lexia
delightful_gift_by_darkwings13-d63d4aj.jpg
This was drawn for Lissoya so please don't use it lol. Anyway, I did the lineart while waiting for my copper to get electroplated in my chem lab. Each trial took 45 mins so I had plenty of time to do this. Coloring was longer but I liked the shiny look of this piece.
Zwei and Viola
together_under_the_moon_by_darkwings13-d5vbhor.jpg
Best thing in this picture is probably the transparent part of Viola's dress lol. The hardest part of the picture was actually Zwei's pants. I couldn't get those zigzags right and the color looks weird :/
Talim
talim_full_scv_concept__fanart__by_darkwings13-d5pt27y.jpg

I messed up the legs unfortunately (>T^T)
Talim and Raphael
cat_meets_bat_by_darkwings13-d48bvg9.jpg

This was my first attempt at drawing chibis. Lo and behold, I missed the few white spots. But strangely enough, it foreshadows the smoke coming from Raph's feet for his SCV render. (>O.O) scary...
Talim and Raphael
the_moon_and_the_sun_by_darkwings13-d3jfa2v.jpg

I'm sure it's obvious by now how I feel about these two. (>-*u*-) This was actually a recolored version. The first one was done like two years ago and it was super hideous since it was my first time using photoshop. If you guys want, you can ask me to put the old one up so you can see how I've improved with using photoshop.
Talim
2lt1oua.jpg

My lastest artwork. Lilies in the background because they represent purity (>^.*)
Talim's hair and eyes are what I'm most proud of in this pic. Especially since they both took over twenty layers. Cuz I couldn't decide on how they should be colored and all lol. Is this pic too bright by the way? Should I darken it? Or add more shadows to her face? Did I go overboard with the eyelashes? *.*
Zwei
35ix8v4.jpg

Currently working on this one. I've only got his eyes colored so it's still a long way to go. Especially since there's like 3 colors in his hair. That's going to be like ten or so layers. (>-__-)
Penguin candle holder
One of my traditional styled art done in pencil. I found the pic in a magazine and sketced it for practice :D
sleeping_penguins_by_darkwings13-d3h114l.jpg
A Traditional Piece
This is probably my best traditional work. It's the size of like half my dining table and it was a gift for a friend of mine. I took her pic off facebook and drew it but I did it in this style.
2mrb1w3.jpg
Edit:Added titles to the spoilers. I should have done that a long time ago! (>*O*)

Last edited:
Here's two more
Dumas/Nightmare and Talim
fighting_against_fate_by_darkwings13-d5iodhb.png

Probably my most favorite piece :)
While vacationing in the U.S with my family, we went to Disneyland and stuff. During the super long waiting line, I doodle in this one small sketching book that I like to carry around with me. So that's how this lineart got created. The fireworks were influenced by the ones in Disneyland while I saw them (>^_^)
BT
bt_by_darkwings13-d3h0yvk.jpg

One of my favorite artist, Brian Transeau who's usually known as BT. I sketched it from this picture.
interview2010.05.17-briantranseau.jpg
Edit: Thank you very much Fendante (>-^.^-)
I still have a long way to go but it's one of my favorite hobby and I'm happy to keep practicing and working at it. Lol, if my family didn't pressure me into chemistry, I would really want to go into art xD
Course, I do love doing labs in chem so I'm happy lol.

Last edited:
Yep. I used to use photosho CS5 but I upgraded to CS6. The auto save feature alone made me ecstatic about it since the old one sometimes crashes and you lose all your work. CS6 has an autosave feature that saves every 5 or ten minutes. Though, I don't know if it's me or my tablet but the zoom in button is changed. In CS5 I can just sort of scroll my pen acoss the tablet and it zooms in. Now when I do that, it zooms in like 3ooo times so I have to use the magnify buttons lol

Hair is one of fav things to do. But overall, it takes the most layers and time. You have the base, then you do light shadows, hard shardows, strands/lines, light light, bright light. Luminosity works well for the light layers or you can use the dodge tool. =)

Oh boy, critique thread!

One thing I like about your work is your attention to hair. Considering that you say hair is one of your favourite things to do, it's understandable that you have an eye for it.
The way you presented the body language in the full body drawings are easily understandable, which is good.
Regarding your portrait work, you have an eye for the likeness of the person. Sometimes it isn't about getting everything perfect. Your portrait drawings show that you are able to recognize key parts of the face and where they are. If I knew who Brian Transeau was and saw your drawing of him, I would be able to see that it was Brian, even though every tiny detail wasn't in or some things are a bit off.
A thing I must note is proportions. Learning proper proportions, form and structure can really boost a drawing's presentation and will make your drawing skills better overall. It isn't easy to learn all that in one sitting, so you'll have to practice.

Do you start off drawings with process like understructure or any kind of rough base?

Oh boy, critique thread!

One thing I like about your work is your attention to hair. Considering that you say hair is one of your favourite things to do, it's understandable that you have an eye for it.
The way you presented the body language in the full body drawings are easily understandable, which is good.
Regarding your portrait work, you have an eye for the likeness of the person. Sometimes it isn't about getting everything perfect. Your portrait drawings show that you are able to recognize key parts of the face and where they are. If I knew who Brian Transeau was and saw your drawing of him, I would be able to see that it was Brian, even though every tiny detail wasn't in or some things are a bit off.
A thing I must note is proportions. Learning proper proportions, form and structure can really boost a drawing's presentation and will make your drawing skills better overall. It isn't easy to learn all that in one sitting, so you'll have to practice.

Do you start off drawings with process like understructure or any kind of rough base?

Yes! I really need more practice with the anatomy and proportions lol. It's probably a million times now but alot of the times, when I'm nearly done drawing something, I'll notice that things are off. Such as the head being too big, the legs to small, etc. That's why I've always like to stick to the upper body only but I'm working on overcome that =)

I bought one of those little mannequin things to try and study how the body is positions and how the proportions would look. It helps but not very much. If I have to do something with the body, I need to search the internet and find someone in a certain pose I like.

I start off drawing without any rough sketch or croqui and I know that's not a good thing =(
It's strange, but expressions are the first things that come to mind so I always have to start with just the head. That's probably why I'm so fond of portrait style stuff. It comes really easy to me and I just continue off from there. But I need to change that lol. I just find it so difficult to do an under structure thing before I get into the main artwork (>T.T)

I think a handful of aspiring artists have the mindset of wanting the finished product without having to do all the underlying structure and planning. I was like that once. A rough gesture/croqui/sketch/whatever you want to call it is always a good idea because it allows you to see mistakes earlier so that you don't see it later when your drawing is almost complete.
It's great that you know that some things are off. It allows you to correct your mistakes and always improve. Like I said, planning will greatly reduce "errors" in your drawing. I think to truly get a further understanding of the human body and form is to go study and draw models in life (in drawing studios or wherever). This will allow you to see proportions, how the body moves, the rhythm in the form and more. Those little mannequins can only go so far, and drawing from life is a huge difference than drawing from a photograph.

I also seem to notice that many artists go draw the head first. Some kind of deep instinctual thing I suppose. Usually in a full body drawing, going for the head first is not really a good idea (I think it's a matter of preference, but I noticed improvements in my own skill when I didn't draw from the head first). I tend to draw larger masses of the body first and then to smaller parts so I have a better point-of-reference for proportions. This will also allow you to crop your drawings better on the page.
The point of the rough is to not look good (duh). If we get so caught up in having everything look perfect in the beginning, it will take forever to draw because we will always keep correcting and correcting and correcting... Instead, be free with a rough sketch and get the general idea. You'll save a lot of time and probably reach a better result in shorter time (I may suggest using a non-repro blue colour pencil. It's a popular choice amongst some because it isn't too distracting and it is visible enough to use as understructure. And I believe amongst 2D animators, the blue doesn't show up during the photo process).

Thank you very much for your advice! (>^.^)
I'll go looking for a non-repro blue pencil and the next time I draw something, I'll definitely work on the base and hopefully improve. I hate spending time doing corrections on the main work so it's time I start learning this. The legs are the hardest part for me so I'll try and challenge myself with a piece that involves legs in my next artwork. Thank you again Defiance! (>^-^)>

That Leixia pic is so cute it hurts
Thank you! (>-^_^-) I don't draw chibis very often but I do enjoy the process. Little Leixia is so shiny and adorable, and I was quite happy with the way Xianghua looked as well.

Eep, yay! Finally, you put up a thread for this stuff so I can stalk it easier XD
That recent Talim pic is fantabulous. I love what you've done with her hair, girl!

Eep, yay! Finally, you put up a thread for this stuff so I can stalk it easier XD
That recent Talim pic is fantabulous. I love what you've done with her hair, girl!
Thanks Kira! The hair took about twelve layers so I was happy with the way it turned out =)

They are all beautiful. Great job darkwings :)
Thank you Lisso! (>-^^-) I hope to further improve in the future and make another drawing for you! *hug*
Oooh, I really like the Talim/Raph one that says 'the sun and moon'! Hadn't seen that one yet.
Thanks Habast, that one was actually a recolored attempt from one of my first photoshop project. I used the exact same lineart but the coloring was much better since I actually know how to use photoshop now =D

(>X__X) Omg I don't know why I'm up at this time of night... Couldn't sleep so I finished my Zwei picture and touched up my Talim one. I hope it looks alright cuz at this time of night, I could be hallucinating lol.
Zwei
2rohjf7.jpg

Does his eyes look girly? I think I put alittle too much effort into making them pretty (>O.O)
This one actually didn't take very long. It's probably because his clothes are kinda simple though I did dramatize the collar. The tattoo was done as close as possible to his real one but I think I messed something up. I think I really like the hair, wolf thing and his tattoo best in this one lol.

I know...
Talim
15ese1.jpg

I don't know how many times I've edited this... @__@
I keep seeing, "Oh, this can look better. Oh, I think this part needs to be darker. Omg, the nose!" Yes, the nose took forever(ten layers) but I think it's finally ok xD
To close friends of mine who've I shown this pic, I know you're probably like "Wings, why you keep changing that pic?"
I also reallyyyyy wanted to do a sunset but that failed spectacularly so I had to do a night scene since I prefer drawing night backgrounds. But still... I want my sunset (>T__T) Oh well.... time for bed
I love these two characters <3

Next up... Zwei's Girlfriend. It's gonna be awhile though x)

Last edited:
(>X__X) Omg I don't know why I'm up at this time of night... Couldn't sleep so I finished my Zwei picture and touched up my Talim one. I hope it looks alright cuz at this time of night, I could be hallucinating lol.
2rohjf7.jpg

Does his eyes look girly? I think I put alittle too much effort into making them pretty (>O.O)
This one actually didn't take very long. It's probably because his clothes are kinda simple though I did dramatize the collar. The tattoo was done as close as possible to his real one but I think I messed something up. I think I really like the hair, wolf thing and his tattoo best in this one lol.
very nice:)

I know...
15ese1.jpg

I don't know how many times I've edited this... @__@
I keep seeing, "Oh, this can look better. Oh, I think this part needs to be darker. Omg, the nose!" Yes, the nose took forever(ten layers) but I think it's finally ok xD
To close friends of mine who've I shown this pic, I know you're probably like "Wings, why you keep changing that pic?"
I also reallyyyyy wanted to do a sunset but that failed spectacularly so I had to do a night scene since I prefer drawing night backgrounds. But still... I want my sunset (>T__T) Oh well.... time for bed
I love these two characters <3

Next up... Zwei's Girlfriend. It's gonna be awhile though x)

Viola
wandering_seer_by_darkwings13-d6d6q6e.jpg
I'm quite proud of the claws for Viola :D
To ninja, thanks for giving me critiques and such for this pic! I could fix the lopsided pearls on her head and the frills cuz I had accidentally converted the file from psd to jpg and could only do minor edits. (>T.T)
*Pst, does anyone know how to tag a spoiler? (>*.*)

Last edited:
Back