Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate

Yeah, that's it. I'm donning the swimsuit and just saying screw it all. There's no point in trying to play well, when opponents don't wanna bother. They wanna spam, I'll give them spam.

Welcome to online Ranked. I hope you enjoy your stay!

Do lobby matches instead though. Much less stressful. Hell, add me and I'll play some matches with you! I'll warn you however that I have random tendencies to spam bullshit though.

By the way, not using mids is a bad idea. If you did that to me, I'd spam low holds in response.

That's generally the idea on low level players. I had a math the other day where I was forced to do nothing but Bass' 6KP over and over and over and... again.

OK,
May be I can try and help out.
One of the toughest things in getting into DOA is trying to understand the triangle system and get around it.
The first thing you should try and convince yourself (pls dont take this the wrong way), is that theres no such thing as "everything is random", not in DOA and not in ANY game. With the correct understanding of the game you can have more focused approach in dealing pressure and dealing WITH pressure.

Kokoro is arguably one of the best characters in DOA5. The reason for this is that unlike most characters, she kinda forces you to commit. I will elaborate:
- 66P+K causes a faint stun (a faint stun is a type of stun that the opponent cannot hold or stagger escape out of). This means that your follow-up is guaranteed. In Kokoro's case, it can guarantee the following: 66P+K P+K 2P. if successfully landed, this will put the opponent in critical threshold, meaning any lancher after this would give you max height. This also means that you can instantly BURST. giving the opponent only one chance to guess from this set up and allowing you to go for a max damage combo or even a powerblow if you have one.

- 236H+P into P+K, another setup leading directly to threshold (allowing max height launch or BURST). the opponent only has one guess. What makes this more deadly is that you can land it from a blocked PP which is a TRUE BLOCK STRING (the opponent cannot hold you on block of the first P)

- another thing you need to bare in mind is that if you are being held alot that means you are obviously doing something wrong (you mentioned that you are being held by mids alot). if an opponent holds, this gives you an opportunity for a free throw with a "HI COUNTER" (+50% damage reward) as a throw punish to a hold. Kokoro's 214H+P,6H+P,46H+P is an extremely painful combo throw that mess up an opponent bad on high counter.

- once you get a counter hit of any kind, if you're not so good at conditioning your opponent, go for a launcher! Kokoro has every launch option when the opponent is in stun:
7K is MID K
2P+K ground bounce is MID P
4P+K is a HIGH launch
Kokoro is one of the characters blessed with the ability to do great damage on juggles ( i suggest practicing her 9P free cancel juggle which I will get into later)

- another thing worth noting is that 4P+K is a normal hit launcher. meaning if you land it, thats an instant guaranteed combo.

- If you're struggling againts spammers and mashers, try and learn kokoros CRUSHES. if you do not know what a crush is, check out my STRIKES tutorial on my youtube channel (link below).

- Kokoro's 9P juggle may seem hard at first, but with free canceling its actually easy. all you need to do is hold the (9) direction and press PHPHPHPH.. and this will allow you to land it 100% of the time. it is also her key to her max damage juggles.

- try and make use of her P+K cancel mixup. she can choose to hit high by pressing P, mid by ressing P+K or low by pressing 2P after. This is pretty deadly and frustrating to the opponent (especially if they were in stun) .. another option is to cancel then press nothing. you would be surprized how vulnerable that purs opponents.

- sitdowns, sitdowns SITDOWNS. Kokoro's 8P6P is one of the longest frame advantage sitdown stuns in the game guaranteeing any mid launcher after it and with the right setup even a burst (to a degree). (sitdown stuns prevent the opponent from being able to hold for a short period)

I made a Kokoro combo vid which can be found here. it might give you a few ideas :

Also, if you are new to the game and need a better understanding of how the game flows. Please watch the tutorial series I've made. Its a work in progress and new volumes are still being added regularly. you can see volumes 1-4 here:
(vol. 05 is coming real soon so keep looking back. I think it will help you alot and answer some of your questions)

If you have any more questions or need any more help, do not hesitate to contact me on Freestepdodge.com or my youtube channel inbox :)

I hope this advice helps you.

OK,
May be I can try and help out.
One of the toughest things in getting into DOA is trying to understand the triangle system and get around it.
The first thing you should try and convince yourself (pls dont take this the wrong way), is that theres no such thing as "everything is random", not in DOA and not in ANY game. With the correct understanding of the game you can have more focused approach in dealing pressure and dealing WITH pressure.

Kokoro is arguably one of the best characters in DOA5. The reason for this is that unlike most characters, she kinda forces you to commit. I will elaborate:
- 66P+K causes a faint stun (a faint stun is a type of stun that the opponent cannot hold or stagger escape out of). This means that your follow-up is guaranteed. In Kokoro's case, it can guarantee the following: 66P+K P+K 2P. if successfully landed, this will put the opponent in critical threshold, meaning any lancher after this would give you max height. This also means that you can instantly BURST. giving the opponent only one chance to guess from this set up and allowing you to go for a max damage combo or even a powerblow if you have one.

- 236H+P into P+K, another setup leading directly to threshold (allowing max height launch or BURST). the opponent only has one guess. What makes this more deadly is that you can land it from a blocked PP which is a TRUE BLOCK STRING (the opponent cannot hold you on block of the first P)

- another thing you need to bare in mind is that if you are being held alot that means you are obviously doing something wrong (you mentioned that you are being held by mids alot). if an opponent holds, this gives you an opportunity for a free throw with a "HI COUNTER" (+50% damage reward) as a throw punish to a hold. Kokoro's 214H+P,6H+P,46H+P is an extremely painful combo throw that mess up an opponent bad on high counter.

- once you get a counter hit of any kind, if you're not so good at conditioning your opponent, go for a launcher! Kokoro has every launch option when the opponent is in stun:
7K is MID K
2P+K ground bounce is MID P
4P+K is a HIGH launch
Kokoro is one of the characters blessed with the ability to do great damage on juggles ( i suggest practicing her 9P free cancel juggle which I will get into later)

- another thing worth noting is that 4P+K is a normal hit launcher. meaning if you land it, thats an instant guaranteed combo.

- If you're struggling againts spammers and mashers, try and learn kokoros CRUSHES. if you do not know what a crush is, check out my STRIKES tutorial on my youtube channel (link below).

- Kokoro's 9P juggle may seem hard at first, but with free canceling its actually easy. all you need to do is hold the (9) direction and press PHPHPHPH.. and this will allow you to land it 100% of the time. it is also her key to her max damage juggles.

- try and make use of her P+K cancel mixup. she can choose to hit high by pressing P, mid by ressing P+K or low by pressing 2P after. This is pretty deadly and frustrating to the opponent (especially if they were in stun) .. another option is to cancel then press nothing. you would be surprized how vulnerable that purs opponents.

- sitdowns, sitdowns SITDOWNS. Kokoro's 8P6P is one of the longest frame advantage sitdown stuns in the game guaranteeing any mid launcher after it and with the right setup even a burst (to a degree). (sitdown stuns prevent the opponent from being able to hold for a short period)

I made a Kokoro combo vid which can be found here. it might give you a few ideas :

Also, if you are new to the game and need a better understanding of how the game flows. Please watch the tutorial series I've made. Its a work in progress and new volumes are still being added regularly. you can see volumes 1-4 here:
(vol. 05 is coming real soon so keep looking back. I think it will help you alot and answer some of your questions)

If you have any more questions or need any more help, do not hesitate to contact me on Freestepdodge.com or my youtube channel inbox :)

I hope this advice helps you.

Thank you for the advice, but I already know this.

Here's how an opponent deals with me...

PPT - The opponent immediately follows up with PPPP spam before the T comes out. This applies to every Heichu throw, Heichu cancel (8P P+K, 2H+KP+K, 3PPP+K, PP2KP+K) that I use.

66P+K - is not a true crush move, so the only time I have to apply this is after whiff punishing with 236P. 236P tends to be rather selective in what it will punish on whiff. Factor in lag, etc. and you get the idea.

236H+P - I never get this off because opponents love to keep swinging.

I know Kokoro's 9P combo. Heck I told Vincent and showed Vincent a video about this combo. Outside of a certain Japanese player from earlier in this thread, I was using this before the combo got popular. Lag, etc. however, does make it difficult for me to perform this combo all the time.

8P6P - gets held out of often. Lately I go for BT P+K into 66P+K

7K - I use this launcher all the time. It's a essentially a useful frame trap after 2H+KK CH because it forces the opponent into a defensive guessing game. They can still (and often do) hold out of it. Once they start doing that, I go for throw mix-ups. Doesn't always work.

214T4T46T - I can't do this throw accurately in live matches. I'm still practicing it, but I often don't get the chance to get this move off, because it is rare that my opponent(s) actually blocks, or whiffs a hold. I'm not quite sure how I can properly set this up.

Look, today I fought an S- Ranked Christie player. Loved to whiff strings. Constantly does PPP2P. I punished this whiffing with 236P, 66P+K, P+K, 2P, 7P, 4P+K, 9P, 9P, 9P, 9P, 2KP > Danger Zone launch > P+K, 4PPPP. I took my opponent's life from max health to 25% left. This moment the opponent stands right back up, he starts spamming PPP again. KKK. 2PPP, and many more whiff combos. He didn't care that I just took 75% of his health, didn't bat an eye. Just kept doing what he always did.

I lost that round, and all subsequent rounds. I lost the match. And I have yet to win against this player.

It doesn't matter what I do, no matter how hard I punish them. No matter what setups, or crushes, or spam I use against the player, they still keep pushing the same crap. And whether it be my weak defense (the back button simply won't guard online), lag, or otherwise, they keep doing the same crap and I end up losing.

I've had matches where I've done nothing but 2H+KK and hit counter hit on opponents every time. And in many cases, they whiff a hold high. And I've never even struck them with a high move, it doesn't get anymore random than that.

If can't intimidate the opponent, if I can't get into their head, I can't do much. I'm extremely limited. Most of time, I'm playing passive aggressive, trying read my opponent and appropriately counter then with crushes and a variety of moves. Sometimes it works, most of the time it doesn't. I stuck using 2H+KK. I can't go fighting higher skilled opponents often because A) I can't find lobbies of 4 bars or greater B) When I create a lobby no one comes C) I get kicked out because I'm playing too rough on players.

So I end up going easy. I stay blindingly obvious, and I keep the pressure minimal. I want to improve, but either I'm facing opponents way too strong for me, or I'm fighting... idiots... I don't really like using that word.

I've ended up fighting so many lesser skilled players, that I have developed bad habits. Something I was trying very hard to avoid. Most of the time, I'm just going for launcher combos with 7K or 4P+K. I'm not trying to do anything overly flashy or complicated. I stun my opponent, fully aware that I could use 1KK to put my opponent in red critical for a CB. Or 8PP+KP+K. Or PK. Plenty of varied options there, that I normally don't use. Instead, the moment I stun the opponent, I go straight into a launch and combo from there. If I try to go for anything else, I'm usually held out of it. It's extremely rare that I will be held out of 7K (but it happens) and less likely 4P+K. But 8P, P, 1K, 2P+K, 6P+K, are far more likely to be held out by my opponent, even when I've never attempted to go for a critical burst.

The opponents I face are guessing. And they win those guesses often. It means that I can't use those options against them, which puts me in a position where I don't use them against other players. Its why I don't use 2H+KP, or 6KP, or most Heichu setups. They simply don't care.

stuff part 2 .

Everything u said is an indication of lack of experience. Its not a flaw in the game.

If you're losing rediculously to simple PPP or KKK spam then:
- DO A HIGH HOLD ! punish the hell out of that shit every time!
- You can also do 7P which has Sabaki property vs high strikes ..
- You can mix up your combos by doing your string variations PP2KK or PP2KP would stuff everything..
- SIDESTEP! if you're a VF player this should come to you as a no brainer. Especially with offensive SS and kokoro is one of the only characters with Strings from SS.

If you're getting held alot in the MID area then:
- don't you think you might not be doing enough Highs and lows ..?
- Don't finish your strings, Bait that shit out, and THROW !
- Free cancel into an unpredictable variant, or make use of her strings that can be canceled with her P+K stance.

You need to practice that combo Throw. Its extremely good damage and inescapable. also helps in triggering dangerzones.

PPT is not her only annoying string, 3PT is also extremely annoying and very hard to read, 1PT is annoying as hell too. .. etc. Look deeper into kokoros arsenal of moves. When I learn a new character I start off with the command training every day I pick them up, and try and utilize a new move I'm not using.

6KP is nasty (and quick) and if used correctly can be unpredictable.

If you're trying too hard to play the game with the logic of another game then you're never going to win.

Take a step back and think of something ? Why is the PPPP beating you ?
-is the string you're doing putting you at negative frames ?
-a standing P is usually an opponents fastest move. HOWEVER, it can be crushed, whiffed , sidestepped , or Held. Are you considering these options ? (sadly kokoro has no OHs ptherwise that would have been another option)

Also, Defense! sometimes vs faster characters the best option is to walk back while guarding, whiff out their strings and stuff them. Faster characters tend to be more unsafe and easier to whiff punish.

Maximize your guaranteed situations:
-environment (many players overlook this). do you know how to do max daamge follow-up from every danger zone in the game ?
- juggles short combos with short juggles are supper effective. (including ground bounce)
- Stuns that mess up the opponent's hold timing( either temporarily or completely). Sit downs, Faint, and turn around (kokoross KK or H+K or PKK is nasty as it guarantees 66P after in closed stance and that guarantees a launcher example in my vid)

Also I forgot to mention that her 236T and (mid combo variants) are great baits. because they send kokoro back quickly to a reasonably safe distane most of the time. do it, then crush or low strike .. etc.

Finally, String delay, If you're a VF player then you would know how effective this actually is. in DOA its even more effective as it turns some strings almost to into a frametrap, and even helps in hitting someone at the recovery frames of a hold.

You're over complicating things. Keep it simple.
I hope this helps.

These to post are pretty helpful thanks. I'm trying to get into the game and have been looking for sites that offer help. These stuff is pretty good thanks

OK i dont have a problem to help people out or post some news.
But it would be...really reallly really nice if i can get a response to my questions sometimes/somehow...

Everything u said is an indication of lack of experience. Its not a flaw in the game.

You're over complicating things. Keep it simple.
I hope this helps.

Never said it was a flaw of the game. Anything and everything I do and every loss is my fault. I've never considered it otherwise. More importantly, I'm not blaming anyone else, but myself for my losses.

And as I said before, I am being as simplistic as I can be.

3PT - It never works. Ever. I've been using this move a ton. But every time I've used it, its always hit on CH and left the opponent in a stun where the throw catch whiffs. Every time.

1PT - This one fairs better, probably because its slower. But because its slower, its also prone to being beaten out before I get the chance to use it. One thing I do like about it is that at max range, you can hit with the tip of Kokoro's fist and still gain ground on the throw catch. So its actually got really good throw range too. The problem is that it has the same weaknesses as other throw catches; its easily beaten by mashing and it doesn't guarantee anything.

6KP and 3K both have the same execution frames. 3K has longer reach and leads to better mix-ups and combos. 6KP doesn't crush, and the P is holdable.

PPT - Today I fought an A+ ranked Kasumi player. Every time I used PPT (which was about two or three times), I'd be interrupted the moment I pressed the throw. I'd vary the PPT catch with PP2KP+K and PPKP. The opponent ate PPK, mashed out of PPT, and mashed out of PP2KP+K. The opponent also mashed out of every Heichu stance cancel I tried or attempted. So I ended up just doing 2H+KK on counter hit and winning the match. If I tried to mix it up, the opponent would just mash out of anything else I tried.

236T - Kokoro actually moves in a little bit before stepping backwards then returning back to where she stood before the beginning frames of 236T if she inputted a move (except 2P). Its a nice move, but its not that effective at baiting since the opponents are generally immune to throws if they're attacking. And if you're trying to get your opponent to whiff, I tend to find 1P, and 214P better options. 66P also works well, and 6P+K has some great range too (but can be held high or low). 236T works well as a throw punisher, but it doesn't lead to anything guaranteed, and if you're going to throw punish, it might be better to try T, 6T, 66T or 214T depending on the frame disadvantage as these lead to guaranteed damage. 33PT on the other hand is really good and one of the reasons why it got tweaked in the patch was because it was too good. Block 33P at max range led to safe Heichu mix-ups.

String delay doesn't help me against mashers I'm afraid, but I've used it to some good effect against more skilled players. 3KP, 3K2P, 3KK, 3K4K, 1KK are all really great options to delay because of all the heights and rewards you get for getting successful hits.

Typical scenarios today: I decided to put my opponent in red critical stun as often as possible. As soon as they hit that level, I would launch them with 4P+K or 7K. They fell for it every time. Worried that I might end up being held, I decided to mix it up and attempt using 7P to critical burst. Each and every player - after being trained on and struck by 4P+K, would hold mid against my 7P. So, my assumption is they're just guessing or doing mid holds out of habit. They're not really reading me. In fact they only reading they seem to do is when I hit them with 2H+KK (and I would normally only do 2H+KK as a punish when my opponent is at negative frames). So there were some occasions where I would stun up my opponent with highs and mids, and they would hold low and spam the low hold. Kind of annoying as I was trying to train them the other way. So I would assume that many of the players I fought against have no lick or clue as to which moves of Kokoro's hits high or mid, only that they know that 2H+KK hits low, and I use it to punish them.

I also spent the day using 66P+K 2P as an advancing move. Works well enough, but opponents would often hold mid after being struck by 2P. So I hit them with 66T. This would continue three or four times a round or match. Never got a chance to strike anyone with a CB. I also only got 1 successful 3-part Throw of Doom (ala Akira's SPOD) today. All the other attempts were failures.

EDIT: Oh yeah fun facts:

Kokoro's 66T used to be an offensive hold. Caught mids.
Kokoro's "Mada mada" taunt where she dusts herself off actually cleans off all the dirt she may have accumulated during the match. A clean Kokoro is a happy Kokoro.

OK i dont have a problem to help people out or post some news.
But it would be...really reallly really nice if i can get a response to my questions sometimes/somehow...

What kind of questions do you have?

I like the stuff you post such as the various match or demonstration vids.

Windstar said:
Kokoro's "Mada mada" taunt where she dusts herself off actually cleans off all the dirt she may have accumulated during the match. A clean Kokoro is a happy Kokoro.

LOL

Emperor Cow, you're awesome. Can I request a similar breakdown of Lei Fang?

PPT - Today I fought an A+ ranked Kasumi player. Every time I used PPT (which was about two or three times), I'd be interrupted the moment I pressed the throw. I'd vary the PPT catch with PP2KP+K and PPKP. The opponent ate PPK, mashed out of PPT, and mashed out of PP2KP+K. The opponent also mashed out of every Heichu stance cancel I tried or attempted. So I ended up just doing 2H+KK on counter hit and winning the match. If I tried to mix it up, the opponent would just mash out of anything else I tried.

Typical scenarios today: I decided to put my opponent in red critical stun as often as possible. As soon as they hit that level, I would launch them with 4P+K or 7K. They fell for it every time. Worried that I might end up being held, I decided to mix it up and attempt using 7P to critical burst. Each and every player - after being trained on and struck by 4P+K, would hold mid against my 7P. So, my assumption is they're just guessing or doing mid holds out of habit. They're not really reading me.
My soul dies a little when I lose to people like this especially when they're a high rank. I don't even bother trying to burst any more. I get mid held EVERY SINGLE TIME. All the people I play just mash 4H like the world is going to end throughout my entire combo. I miss seeing my power blow, but ending a combo with a chain throw is almost as good. Except then the idiots start mashing their face on the throw escape button. Need to brush up on my throw timing.

That is so cute!

Netcode is netcode. It's not going to replace offline play. That said, it's easier to find people you have better connections with and to lock off the room from people entering with a certain bar level.

How is the netcode after the patch?
The same?
Worse?
Still the same?

The Netcode after the patch feels the same as ver. 1.02. In all honesty it probably won't get any better, but I give Team Ninja points for attempting to improve it. The best that can be done is to ensure that our own internet connection is optimal.

5 bar matches are quite excellent for the most part and are suitable for character training matches. There's only a very slight quantity of lag compared to offline. When I'm fully warmed up, the lag rarely affects me in 5 bar matches. 4 bar matches are also adequate for character matches and attempting to discern legit tactics vs. gimmicks. For 3 bars and below, I probably wouldn't bother trying to play seriously since the lag essentially corrupts reaction times and disturbs input timings.

Hit me up for some matches if you'd like to see if we get a decent connection. Mr. Wah is right, the added feature of the "Connection" filter is great for seeking out opponents with good connections.

@UnseenWombat

Let's try and get in some matches again this weekend, I don't know what happened last time we played (Slideshow Central...! -_-). I remembered us having an alright connection before that.

Sure. Maybe tomorrow. I'm going to a water park with my family tonight, and the Internet at the hotel will probably be ass. But I'll be home tomorrow night.

The Netcode after the patch feels the same as ver. 1.02. In all honesty it probably won't get any better, but I give Team Ninja points for attempting to improve it. The best that can be done is to ensure that our own internet connection is optimal.

5 bar matches are quite excellent for the most part and are suitable for character training matches. There's only a very slight quantity of lag compared to offline. When I'm fully warmed up, the lag rarely affects me in 5 bar matches. 4 bar matches are also adequate for character matches and attempting to discern legit tactics vs. gimmicks. For 3 bars and below, I probably wouldn't bother trying to play seriously since the lag essentially corrupts reaction times and disturbs input timings.

Hit me up for some matches if you'd like to see if we get a decent connection. Mr. Wah is right, the added feature of the "Connection" filter is great for seeking out opponents with good connections.

@UnseenWombat

Let's try and get in some matches again this weekend, I don't know what happened last time we played (Slideshow Central...! -_-). I remembered us having an alright connection before that.

Thx for the response =)
Yeah sure im gonna hit ya up, as soon as i get the new patch on XBL

Back