Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate

LOL Gym teacher Christie costume.... xDDD I feel weird playing as her in it. Sucks people who haven't bought the DLC online won't be able to view it when I fight them though... >_>

LOL Gym teacher Christie costume.... xDDD I feel weird playing as her in it. Sucks people who haven't bought the DLC online won't be able to view it when I fight them though... >_>

Are you sure of that?

Also, I think that Christie is supposed to look like Sue Sylvester, which is a very weird fetish to have.

I went and did the spacing and combo check topics for Leon today, if anyone's interested in him.

That's the only thing I don't really like about DOA land... Information is hard to find, and there's not a lot of standardization. Our wiki is filled to the brim, FSD's... not so much.

I understand the frame data is in the game, but sometimes it's just nice to look at something on another screen. Team Ninja hasn't done what they did with DOA4 (frame data .pdfs on the website) and it still irks me that they decided to initially put it in a Prima guide... Now with DOA5U I don't even know what's going on.

DOAWorld is a barren wasteland. :|

Well, when people want to fill it out they are more than welcome to. It's a wiki for a reason.

Jacky looks like a beast. (Shame the VF cast couldn't get new VAs...)

I bet there will be a lot of complaining about that axe kick...

I don't understand how to change the music for stages. I know there is an option that says "stage/character", but when I go scroll the music it's still characters only. Help this casual please?

I don't understand how to change the music for stages. I know there is an option that says "stage/character", but when I go scroll the music it's still characters only. Help this casual please?
You think you can do like SCV and change music that plays on individual stages, right?

Yeah. ._.

When you select Stage, it plays the default DOA5 stage music (for that particular stage). Only when you select Character can you customize your music.

Pick a good one for your main, you will be hearing it a lot on 2P side.

http://www.freestepdodge.com/threads/crouching-or-why-the-cant-i-duck-that-goddamn-dragon-kick.3457/

Because of this (not being able to test Lisa's OH directly bugged the %^&* outta me) I caved and bought the game. F2P has officially taken all of my monies. I'm an EA Activision freemium sucker. Lord have mercy.

But really though, no more bar 'n grill arcade ignorance mode for me. I gotta have my lab...

I find it interesting that the full game download consists of Core Fighters and an unlock download. That's pretty cool... Maybe more games should be doing this.

I think this is what was happening to me back in Vanilla, though. It wasn't the lag... it was a crouch that takes more than 1 frame to activate.

Sigh.

If I woulda come out to a tournament for this and got hit with that offline... ohhh man, I would've raged so hard...

http://www.freestepdodge.com/threads/crouching-or-why-the-cant-i-duck-that-goddamn-dragon-kick.3457/

Because of this (not being able to test Lisa's OH directly bugged the %^&* outta me) I caved and bought the game. F2P has officially taken all of my monies. I'm an EA Activision freemium sucker. Lord have mercy.

But really though, no more bar 'n grill arcade ignorance mode for me. I gotta have my lab...

I find it interesting that the full game download consists of Core Fighters and an unlock download. That's pretty cool... Maybe more games should be doing this.

I think this is what was happening to me back in Vanilla, though. It wasn't the lag... it was a crouch that takes more than 1 frame to activate.

Sigh.

If I woulda come out to a tournament for this and got hit with that offline... ohhh man, I would've raged so hard...
i've had this issue for a while. except i noticed it back when vanilla first came out. coming into this game right from Soul Calibur really had this issue bugging me because in SC you duck immediately. i have a friend that likes to come up and throw a lot. the thing is, i see it coming. the bad thing is that ducking in the game takes to long so he gets it off anyway. it annoys me that i can't duck throws effectively from some characters (aka players who i know like to grab at certain times) on reaction but have to guess. the same goes for some character combos like Helena's 66KPP. some don't finish the string and go for a grab. i like to stay ducking just in case and wait for the animation of the final P to stand back up. also Hayate's 3 string move. the cartwheel, low sweep, then elbow. i find it harder to block that based on reaction as well because of these "ducking frames". i don't know what the purpose of putting startup frames to a simple movement and other 3D fighters don't have this (that i know of). if someone could explain to me why this is then that'd be cool, otherwise i will continue to be baffled at this weird mechanic.

I completely agree that DOA's crouching mechanics are awful. The lack of any sort of "insta-duck" like in other 3D fighters is aggravating especially when fighting a jumping OH whore like Lisa. Personally, I feel that jumping OHs are dumb in general because you can't grab them on reaction like standing OHs.

The two things I'd preferably like TN to tweak are crouching speed and side-step effectiveness (i.e. lose the freaking tracking on linear strings *coughschristiecoughs*).

hey guys, help me out.
the only fighter I understand is SC5 (and smash bros 64?), and I have no idea how the fuck DOA5 game plan works.
what do you recommend I should do? I mean yeah the game has that tutorial thing, but it doesn't teach me anything beyond the basics.

What you should be asking is what game plan you want your character to follow. DOA has a pretty open ended system, and every character abuses it pretty differently.

So lets get a basic format for what you see yourself doing and we can work from there.

What type of characters interest you? Striker, Grappler, Spacer?

What type of offense do you prefer once you get in? Guaranteed damage all at once, constant vortex resets, or something inbetween?

Are you the type of guy who uses technical characters with a potentially big payoff attached, or prefers more simple ones with a basic game plan?

I only have a list of characters that I want to try, but I'd prefer to use easier characters if possible.
how about I list the characters base on my interest level, and you order them base on ease of use?

helena
lisa
christie
rachel
sarah
momiji
alpha

I am sure the list covers all 3 types, but I don't know which one is easiest to use.

Easiest from top to bottom.

Rachel (easy, mindless vortex, medium damage potential)
Alpha (mash buttons, get stupid amounts of damage. very fast, best throw in game. TERRIBLE DEFENSE)
Momiji (hit buttons, cool shit happens)
Helena (incredibly good crushes, good lows, good throw resets, great vortex, medium damage potential)
Christie (very fast, best sidestep evasion in the game, medium to high damage potential)
Lisa (slower attack speed but extremely good movement, good crushes, high juggle and throw damage potential)
Sarah (fast, frame advantage beast, technical, medium to high damage potential, no vortex but incredibly difficult to stop regardless)

Momiji would probably be a good choice. Medium speed, and her 6PKK double jump allows her to get damage in combos when she really shouldn't be O_o

She has some difficult inputs but from what I can see if you don't choose to use them you're only missing out on 10-20 damage.

Rachel is also easy but you're going to have to learn about holding real quick if you can't land that blender.

Proper use of the triangle system is the most important, I think. Land a critical stun, then throw (because a majority of players will panic when stunned and hold immediately and repeatedly). When your throw starts whiffing because they're not holding, then you can start using combos, whether it's a quick launch or carrying them all the way to Critical Burst. If they start holding your combos to get out of them then start throwing again. etc., etc.

Other than that everything is pretty much the same, any fundamentals you learned from SCV should carry over.

Lot more strings though.

Easiest from top to bottom.

Rachel (easy, mindless vortex, medium damage potential)
Alpha (mash buttons, get stupid amounts of damage. very fast, best throw in game. TERRIBLE DEFENSE)
Momiji (hit buttons, cool shit happens)
Helena (incredibly good crushes, good lows, good throw resets, great vortex, medium damage potential)
Christie (very fast, best sidestep evasion in the game, medium to high damage potential)
Lisa (slower attack speed but extremely good movement, good crushes, high juggle and throw damage potential)
Sarah (fast, frame advantage beast, technical, medium to high damage potential, no vortex but incredibly difficult to stop regardless)
Over at free step dodge all the Helena players, including mamba, seemed to be having a pity party over Helena's current state. I'm not trying to contradict you man, I'm totally noobish and poorly informed about this game so don't get the wrong idea when I ask you this, you're saying that she still has a great vortex?

Back