Dead or Alive 6

I remember I used to play the earlier games in the series. Last Round has completely turned me away from Dead or Alive because of all the DLC and remakes they did for the game...if I pick up the new dead or alive it will be in 5 years when they release a slightly more complete version...maybe.

Yeah I'm really not feeling Dead or Alive 6 this time around. Nothing I've seen of the game has been able to hype me up for it yet. Not sure if it's because I'm much more looking forward to Soul Calibur or if I'm still annoyed by Dead or Alive 5 and all of its re-releases (and thousands of dollars of DLC) or if I just don't care for a few of the new changes in direction for the game but nothing is selling me on it yet.

Helena at least is in the game so if I ever do pick it up at least I have one of my mains.

Last edited:
I like the direction DOA6 is going; they're making their fighters look more like actual "fighters" competing in a tournament which is what dead or alive is and not just some fan service. The tone seems more comparable to vf. Obviously the fan service will still be there but I appreciate them taking the effort of controlling how they want the game to be presented. I can almost guarantee someone's going to be crying and asking why Lei Fang is fighting in a Kung Fu outfit and not her heels and traditional Chinese dress -rolls eyes-.

I like the direction DOA6 is going; they're making their fighters look more like actual "fighters" competing in a tournament which is what dead or alive is and not just some fan service. The tone seems more comparable to vf. Obviously the fan service will still be there but I appreciate them taking the effort of controlling how they want the game to be presented. I can almost guarantee someone's going to be crying and asking why Lei Fang is fighting in a Kung Fu outfit and not her heels and traditional Chinese dress -rolls eyes-.
For the record the usual outfits all the characters wear (Lei Fang's chinese dress, kasumi's blue, etc...) have all been confirmed. I don't think anyone will be crying about characters alt costumes when they confirmed them already.

As far as the change of direction I don't mind the toned down fanservice (that's what the inevitable dlc bullshit will be for) no my main issue is that I'm not a fan of the 'realistic' damage or the stages in which I feel way too much is happening. I couldn't really tell you why I dislike it but something is off about it and I can't quite place what.

Very concerned for the enormous amounts of DLC the game may eventually have though...as mentioned it's kind of what turned me away from the series. They create a final version and then keep adding costumes and characters...bought the prior game 3 times which only had minor variances. As I said above if I pick up the game it will likely be years from release in a version 2 or 3.

There is also a part of me that doesn't see a whole lot of improvement from the last game yet...even in that IGN interview they said the mechanics remain pretty much the same as the previous game.

That said unless people are still annoyed with the fact they never released beach volleyball 3 in the west I don't fully understand the hate. I do believe that the game is alienating people but I'm not sure if the lack of fanservice is the reason why. They could easily just make all the first player costumes tame and have a bunch of more alt or unlockable costumes. It's the face that needs to be represented well not necessarily the extras.

That said is there anyone else that thinks Kasumi's first costume this time around is actually one of her sexier outfits? Just me?

Perhaps as the release gets closer I'll have more interest in the game but with soulcalibur VI right around the bend I don't really have an eye on any other fighting game.

For the record the usual outfits all the characters wear (Lei Fang's chinese dress, kasumi's blue, etc...) have all been confirmed. I don't think anyone will be crying about characters alt costumes when they confirmed them already.

As far as the change of direction I don't mind the toned down fanservice (that's what the inevitable dlc bullshit will be for) no my main issue is that I'm not a fan of the 'realistic' damage or the stages in which I feel way too much is happening. I couldn't really tell you why I dislike it but something is off about it and I can't quite place what.

Very concerned for the enormous amounts of DLC the game may eventually have though...as mentioned it's kind of what turned me away from the series. They create a final version and then keep adding costumes and characters...bought the prior game 3 times which only had minor variances. As I said above if I pick up the game it will likely be years from release in a version 2 or 3.

There is also a part of me that doesn't see a whole lot of improvement from the last game yet...even in that IGN interview they said the mechanics remain pretty much the same as the previous game.

That said unless people are still annoyed with the fact they never released beach volleyball 3 in the west I don't fully understand the hate. I do believe that the game is alienating people but I'm not sure if the lack of fanservice is the reason why. They could easily just make all the first player costumes tame and have a bunch of more alt or unlockable costumes. It's the face that needs to be represented well not necessarily the extras.

That said is there anyone else that thinks Kasumi's first costume this time around is actually one of her sexier outfits? Just me?

Perhaps as the release gets closer I'll have more interest in the game but with soulcalibur VI right around the bend I don't really have an eye on any other fighting game.

I never really cared much for the DLC costumes; they don't really take anything from the game and are optional as supposed to a game like Destiny where if you don't purchase dlc and expansions you're locked out of certain content, but completely different genres. I'd say out of the 6 years of DOA's lifespan I probably purchased less than 10 dlc costumes.

In terms of a change in mechanics. It's core mechanics have always stayed the same in terms of the triangle system, and stun system. But most fighters stay true to the core. Never trust a ign interview. There have be some changes to the meta of the game. Slow escaping has been reduced or removed (the ability to stagger from certain stuns, which has pros/cons), bounds can now be done from a juggle state similar to VF5FS, the launch system has changed; you no longer have to play the stun guess game and reach max thresh hold to achieve max launch height from a launcher. The mechanics from DOA5 have been removed/replaced (power launcher, power blow, and critical burst). New mechanics utilize meter management. So it's false that not much hasn't changed; a lot has changed and there is much still being tweaked. Kind of excited for the new property changes for my characters.

Until then, I'll be busy with playing Soul Calibur VI, excited because this will be the first time I'll try Soul Calibur offline competitively.

I love the realistic and subtle fanservice they are taking with this game. It's about time.

But I wished for a different system than the "power" system. Something more innovative. The cinematics are great though.

Lei Fang wearing the Bruce Lee color scheme!

I've been bitching about how DOA6 just looks like a DOA5 expansion pack which is because they're using the same engine, but apparently they've developed a new engine for DOA6 and they will showcase it at TGS. Guess we can expect some character reworks. Similar to Soul Calibur VI, some characters will be axed in DOA6 which is unusual for DOA. Normally they keep in all the characters but due to development issues some will be cut. My guess is all the DLC characters from 5, the VF characters (obviously, even though they fit so nice in the game), and some base characters.

I've been bitching about how DOA6 just looks like a DOA5 expansion pack which is because they're using the same engine, but apparently they've developed a new engine for DOA6 and they will showcase it at TGS. Guess we can expect some character reworks. Similar to Soul Calibur VI, some characters will be axed in DOA6 which is unusual for DOA. Normally they keep in all the characters but due to development issues some will be cut. My guess is all the DLC characters from 5, the VF characters (obviously, even though they fit so nice in the game), and some base characters.
Yep. I'm guessing Ein's getting axed.

https://www.psu.com/news/dead-or-alive-6-interview-with-yohei-shimbori/

Huh... well, that would be kind of weird to see Ein getting the boot (he'll most likely come up as DLC/ the 2nd or 3rd version of this game). But a new male & female character? Sounds promising (somewhat).

Overall, expectations are low (personally) for DOA6.

If I pick up Dead or Alive 6 at all it will be after they re-release the game for the second or third time. It looks decent (not enough from 5 though) but it's obvious this one is being made similar to 5 and they have plans to have dlc and re-releases. It's not like they don't have the money to do a decent game after the way they did DLC in 5 but they want to rush it out the door for some reason...

Back