• Omni Guard

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • High/Low Discretion

Votes: 32 91.4%

• Total voters

Drakogy

[08] Mercenary
Reversal Edge
Reversal Edge is a new defensive option that puts the fighter into a defensive charge state seen in both trailers (Sophita's shield deflect [T#1 @0:48] and Mitsurugi's above shoulder guard stance [T#2 @1:11]).​

Reverse edge parries highs, mids and lows.

Looses defensive guard property during the reversal attack once the button is released.​

While in this state players are able to build up a counter attack by blocking successive attacks visually charging up the defenders sword. [T#1 @0:40]​

The Parry state cannot block Lightning Guard Break Attacks. [T#2 @1:13]​

You can transition standard guard into the parry state. [T#2 @1:09]​

Reduces the guard gauge with each use. [GP @4:15]​

Landing a Reversal edge deals damage and initiates a showdown state. [GP @5:10]

The only action that occurs automatically post counter strike is the dash in, even that can be negated by back stepping. Blocking is also an option.

On hit, the Critical meter goes up about 1/4 of a Critcial gauge bar [from
hwang24]

On succesful landing of Reversal Edge, the Timer Clock freezes during the showdown state
[from hwang24]

The sequence will repeat if the attacks clash. [GP @5:13]

Reversal edges can be blocked with an opponents reversal edge.​

Soul Charge [T#2@1:08]
Install/Power State seems to give frame advantage and enhanced attacks while active.

Costs 1 bar that drains over time.

Soul Burst/activation causes a knock back attack. Unkown as to whether the burst attack can be GI'd. [GP @3:01]​

Enhanced attacks may include more guard break variants to strings. [T#2@1:10]

Guard break attacks deal chip damage. [GP @3:04]

Lethal Hit [GP @2:02]
Performed with certain moves that under the right circumstances trigger a slow motion effect and send the opponent flying leading into strong combos. [From Famitsu transcribed by Ryokuta2089]

Has a chance of clothing destruction.

Guard Impacts [GP @4:35]
Reversal edge does not replace traditional guard impacts.

No longer costs meter to perform but now subtracts from the guard gauge.​

References
Trailer # 1

Trailer #2

Gameplay Preview

Soul Calibur 6.png

scvi.png

Last edited:
We can only assume that this is because of the great impact focus attacks (SF) and power crush (TEKKEN) moves had on their respective player base. It provides a clear yomi path for new players that they can use to learn the rest of the game from. In Tekken,power crush moves absorbs mid and highs and are only susceptible to throws and lows, with some of the power crush moves being punishable on block or duck-able. It eases players into a learning process while at the same time don't affect high level so much.

I think guard impacts cost guard meter, not Brave Edge/Critical Edge meter, to perform.

@4:29 in the ~10:00 gameplay preview Mitsu is in the yellow and performs a GI that whiffs and his guard meter goes from yellow to red.

After seeing how the Reversal Edge plays out from the PSX interview, it looks like there are a fair amount of options to counter act the omni guard. I would assume grabbing overrides it along with guard breaks but seeing as how the player is forced to perform the counter attack afterwards side stepping is a great option to deal with it. Also Reversal Edges and GI's cost some guard gauge.

I may have spotted a few additional aspects of some of the features (if I may politely be bold to add):

Reversal Edge
- On hit, the Critical meter goes up about 1/4 of a Critcial gauge bar (Gameplay Tralier)
- On successful landing of Reversal Edge, the Timer Clock freezes during the showdown state (Gameplay Trailer)
- Not sure if the opponent can be victorious if she or he was not the fighter who first activated the Reversal Edge

Last edited:
More stuff I found out about some of the mechanics...

Soul Charge:

- Soul Charge state also freezes the time clock.
- During Soul Charge, when being hit, your Soul Charge timer is penalized per hit.
- During Soul Charge, whether on hit stun or block stun animation, the Soul Charge timer pauses during the stun.

Reversal Edge:

- Not sure if the opponent can be victorious if she or he was not the fighter who first activated the Reversal Edge
- It is confirmed that the certain fighter indeed may become the victor under such a condition.

I think what he's basically saying is that, if you're soul charging and you hit stun or block stun your oponent, your soul charge meter ceases to decrease during those longer animations. But I aint gonna speak for the man he might 66K,K, A+B+K, B+G me in the face.

A few more things about the GI that I gathered from watching this video:

At about 4:00 in you can see Sophitia land a GI on Mitsu's high which knocks him into a sit-down state and looks similar to a late throw break. Then at 5:36 Sophitia GIs Mitsu's low, but this time it does not knock him down. The first GI happens on nearly the last frame of the active GI frames so I wonder if the sit-down could have been a timing thing? Maybe you can't re-GI from that state?

Or it could just be another animation. But I don't know, it seems a little too exaggerated for a normal happening.

Also this confirms GIs work on lows like SC5 again. Is it confirmed whether they affect throws or not? I'm guessing not.

@Gojira Thank you for the link....

I swore that I saw Sophitia {4:35} gain a little critical meter when Mitsurugi tried to hit her with 1K when she deflected it with her Reversal Edge, then gain more when the RE landed. (Are there any real disadvantages with Reversal Edges?)

I guess there were no meter gained for Rugi when he RE tied with a weapon clash with Sophie. He DID gain some during RE state around {1:43} for (?)

@3:21 - 3:22 -- Does anyone now know how the input for "Break Attack" (Sophitia) is done?

@3:29 - Hey, I guess you can gain meter from doing an Ukemi. (Mitsurugi)

...At about 4:00 in you can see Sophitia land a GI on Mitsu's high which knocks him into a sit-down state and looks similar to a late throw break...
Yeah, and it looks like he recovers standing up since Soph can hit him with high attacks right after that GI.

The condition for that Guard Break to happen at 4:41 --> (?), I couldn't tell.

...Then at 5:36 Sophitia GIs Mitsu's low...
Whoa, I just caught when she GI'd, her life bar glowed yellow when she executed the GI for an instant, and then when she successfully GI'd Rugi, I guess she gets a reward by her guard meter being replenished (maybe) by the yellow glow instantly going away immediately afterwards! That's nice!

Yeah I remember seeing that it replenished guard in another video. So you're punished for whiffing GI and on success there's less (or no) cost.

I knew there was a video with a lot more GI in it than that one but couldn't remember which one it was. Here it is:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6bups6

So it's even more evident here that the GI has several different-looking animations when it's successful. At least once you see that Sophie is able to re-GI from the sit-down state, so that's not an issue. Plus they all happen with different timings so that doesn't seem to be a trigger either. Maybe they really are just random reactions with only cosmetic differences.

The person who made this video must have answered maybe 3 of 4 questions I had above; granted that the Guard Break condition is on point. Check it:

is it just me, or does RE seem like a cheap 'get out of jail free' card? Of course no one really knows until they play the game but theory calibur is still fun sometimes.

We can only speculate how are these super-solid defensive options gonna affect high level gameplay. Remember that it is sometimes the most OP mechanic that makes the game really exciting. And these changes are definitely something we haven't seen in SC so far. In this regard I'm trying to be positive - I like that someone is trying to change the neverchanging FG formula with some controversial stuff. So before bashing, let's wait and see how the game performs at EVO when played by seasoned gamers...

That being said I just can't understand what lead them to include two different defensive mechanics that cover almost all the options. It is understandable that RE covers most of the attacks including lows, since it can always turn against the initiator. Changes to GI though don't make much sense to me. Would make sense if GI required educated guess (but was more reliable) and RE beat mostly everything without guessing (but could turn against you - thus making it much riskier choice in certain situations). But what do I know...

? Examples please
- like parry in the third strike. That is complete game changer and for me personally reason why it is probably my favourite FG to watch and play (out of 2D games).
- step G in SCII may not be the most popular thing ever in the community, but it definitely balanced the game and made it one of the most popular in competitive scene. And if nothing, it's a nice example of a game that can prosper off of an unintentional bug that on paper was gamebreaking, yet worked out in the end.

Last edited:
-- step G in SCII may not be the most popular thing ever in the community,
You said "exciting" in the first post and I don't see you mention that further.

My point is that I can't see OP mechanics being "exciting" to the viewers. /audience. Maybe to the players executing such an OP mechanic.

Back