Developer Q&A Results (No it was not very good)

ZDamned

The cake is a Lie!!!
Q/A with Katsutoshi Sakasi

Q: Were there any Star Wars characters that you wish you had been able to use but didn't for whatever reason and if so who were they?
-Karri

A: I originally wanted to have Darth Vader and Yoda as guest characters, so I am very satisfied with how everything turned out. I personally like Chewbacca, but it’s too bad that he doesn’t have a lightsaber.

Q: Was there a scene or character that didn't turn out as well as you had hoped or turned out better than you had hoped?
-Karri

A: To be honest, everything went beyond my expectations. However as we unveiled the character roster, some of the fans said that Astaroth looked too “monster-ish”. We actually designed him as a rugged rocky character. In terms of scenes, I personally like the “Distant Wetland” area. It’s an interesting stage that has a lush environment and animals.

Q: The arcade market has slowly been in the decline for a number of years now. How has the focus on console development differed in contrast to working with arcades in the past? Are there features in the arcade that can't be replicated on consoles?
-Eelcire

A: The arcade market may be slowly declining, but we are still doing our best to develop high quality products for both arcades and home console players. Interestingly enough, there has been a recent trend in Japan where the arcade market has shifted to providing bigger machines that offer prizes and medals; something that you can’t experience at home. It’s becoming an exciting place to have fun with friends, your girlfriend/ boyfriend and family.

Q: What was the most important thing to achieve when developing the fourth game of the franchise?
-Tranceplant

A: The important things we wanted to achieve in the fourth installment was to develop and offer new guest characters and bring online gameplay to the franchise for the first time.

Q: Soul Calibur IV provides another dimension to the game by adding the option for online battles. What problems did the development team run into while trying to get the online modes working properly?
-Wiimo

A: Adding online functionality was a bit challenging. It required almost twice as much effort to develop the online gameplay for two different platforms because they each had their own specifications.

Q: Now that the game is completed and has been out for some time, how happy are you with the end product?
-Lestat

A: I am truly happy with the end product and appreciate the fact that so many people are enjoying the game. If you have not played it yet, don’t miss this opportunity!

Q: How large is the team that worked together to bring us Soul Calibur IV?
-Nasanieru

A: At first, we started with about 70 people and then ramped up to 120. But if you take into consideration worldwide staff including testers, marketing and sales it totaled to about 300 people.

Q: What were you able to achieve on the PS3 and Xbox 360 that you really wanted to do with the previous Soulcalibur games on the PS2, but were not able to?
-Hilde

A: I would have to say online gameplay. We considered it for Soulcalibur III, but it was too early to implement because of the infrastructure aspect.

Q: What were your goals when you created the character's costumes and move lists?
-Shadowstalker

A: Our goals were to freshen and revamp their design to take advantage of the next-gen hardware and bring them to the HD era.

Q: What made you decide that you wanted to have a guest character designed by a famous artist? (Such as Angol Fear designed by Mine Yoshizaki of Keroro Gunso fame.)
-kurmankuro

A: It was an idea from some our team members. We have been implementing bonus characters in this franchise and we thought including original characters designed by famous artists could be a big service for fans.

Q: How did you come up with Astaroth's new look? It’s such a change from the past titles.
-Broly

A: This time, we designed Astaroth to look like a golem with a rocky appearance.

Q: I'm studying Computer Science right now, hoping to become a videogame programmer so is great to have the opportunity to ask you (the team) a series of questions. When making a game, one of the most important things is to gain the gamer’s attention, I think. There sure are a lot of ways of doing that, and here is the question: In Soul Calibur IV, which things were the ones that the team thought that will gain that attention in gamers? Like when you sit down and think about a great idea and say "gamers will get excited with this".
-GRSCeric

A: I think the biggest attention grabber for Soulcalibur IV would have to be the guest characters.

Q: Who can play the game the best in your development team?
-jal1l

A: The members from the level editing group are all good. I really can’t rank them in order because it will vary depending on which character they use. But for me, all of them are “gods” of fighting games.

Q: for director Katsutoshi Sasaki, How long have you wanted to direct. I mean, did you always dream of this
kind of work. And did you ever imagine you would direct something like soul calibur
-Sharingan_eyes

A: I originally thought about being a movie director, but my interest in the gaming industry started right after the original PlayStation was released. I remember that I was so amazed by the 3D technology and at the time I couldn’t even imagine being the director of Soulcalibur. But I had my sights on becoming a game director when I started to pursue a career in gaming.

Q: What was the most daunting task in this latest installment?
-SuicideKyd

A: I would say the worldwide simultaneous release on multi-platforms. Not only did we make the game for all territories, but we also had to promote it globally as well. It was not technically difficult; we just had so much work to do.

Q: Sometimes the end result of the development is very different from what was originally conceptualized - in what ways is the released version of SCIV better than what was originally planned?
-Ghostdog

A: The basic features were maintained as originally planned but we made small changes along the way. With each change, things always got better from the original concept. For example, there was a lot of trial and error when working on the AMB system (Active Matching Battle) and finally got it to where we were all satisfied.

Q: In the battle system, how were you guys able to create and design fighting moves and styles that were well balanced?
-Snakesta79

A: Usually we start with choosing a weapon. Once we decide on a weapon, we will start thinking about the background story, design and actions.

Q: Having seeing the online tactics (ie lag abuse, repetitive combos, button mashers) what are their thoughts on how online play has affected the series and the future of the series?
-Madjester

A: We will continue to improve on those aspects. Regardless of online play or offline play, repetitive combos need to be fixed to keep the fair game. I believe that the online match play will be mandatory to implement in fighting games from now on.

Q: Hello Project Soul, I've noticed that in each iteration of the Soul series, you have always made many changes to some characters, and few for others. For example, Nightmare remains very similar in Soul Calibur III and Soulcalibur IV, but Ivy has changed greatly with each new version of the Soul series. What makes you feel that a character should be changed? Do you feel that some characters are already well expressed with their current moves? How do you decide on what kind of moves should be added or taken away to a character?
-Schneider-X

A: We implement changes to the characters that haven’t been changed for in a while. For example, a character that was changed drastically in Soulcalibur II will stay almost the same in Soulcalibur III. But that character will be changed in Soulcalibur IV.

Q: What is the biggest and most important difference between Soulcalibur III and IV?
-jasamvs

A: The biggest difference will be the online gameplay.

Q: Which character from Soulcalibur do you admire?
-Lobitoh

A: Even though I like all the characters, Hilda would be my favorite.

Q: How much do your fans influence any and all decisions made when Soul Calibur IV was in development, and do you think your fans ask for unrealistic things to be/happen in Soul Calibur?
-BlackCapone

A: I always like to listen to our fan base. At the early stages of development, we incorporated some of the fan feedback received from the previous games. Also, when we conduct press interviews or when players have hands-on time with the game, we observe them playing and ask for their opinion on how to make the game better.

Q: What were the ideas behind Amy's design, and what alternatives did you consider while making her?
-KungFuMan

A: Amy was created as a trial character while we were developing SoulCalibur III. We ended up liking the design so we decided to implement her into the game.

Q: Soul Calibur IV outfits are very unique and detailed. What inspires you when you create an outfit for a character? Also, out of all the characters, which was your favorite design?
-yuuhiko

A: Costumes are made by our character designers through trial and error. We create a lot of samples in the beginning and refine the one which suit the concept the best. My favorite costume is the one of Xianghua. I like the color variation.

-Copied from the WWYS Newsletter E-Mail.

As expected, nothing truly informative about mechanics, and a HUGE beat around the bush answer for Character changes....

Developer Q&A Results (No it was not very good

Yeah!

Pathetic and dissapointing!!!

We need to be more agressive in reaching these guy's attentions.

Q: How did you come up with Astaroth's new look? It’s such a change from the past titles.
-Broly

A: This time, we designed Astaroth to look like a golem with a rocky appearance.

I laughed at this, then I got angry...

A: Amy was created as a trial character while we were developing SoulCalibur III. We ended up liking the design so we decided to implement her into the game.
I knew it! Amy and Rock were just afterthoughts that were included in the game! That's why they don't have 'true' 2P outfits and why they share voices with CaS characters.

Amy could be even if her debut was AE since that didn't meant that she would return in SC4.

But Rock can't be an afterthought. Rock is one of the pioneers of the series and has been in all games of the series save for SC2 (and no, Berserker doesn't count) .

LMAO.

wow, this shit is hilarious.

Biggest change from SC3- SC4

Online play.

I agree with Angrel-San...its time to start seriously sending in the angry letters, lol. I'm starting to think that they aren't going to listen to us at this pace.

Were you expecting him to answer real questions and not this cupcake bullshit? Ha.

I guess it is worth a shot to send some angry letters, but I doubt NB will care since they've made their money on the game, so why put anymore effort into it or care about the questions/concerns of those who are still playing it. They've already closed WWYS and that is their last fan letter. So to me they've moved on to other shit and shows how committed they are to a game that sold over 2 million copies and made who knows how much profit from bullshit DLC that was already in the game.

But Rock can't be an afterthought. Rock is one of the pioneers of the series and has been in all games of the series save for SC2 (and no, Berserker doesn't count) .
If Rock isn't an afterthought, then tell me what other reason would there be for him and Amy to be the only two normal characters to not have a true 2P costume and share voices with CaS characters?

BTW you guys should understand that Namco is answering these questions for the casual players, who are 99% of the people who bought the game. So you can't blame them for the way they answered the questions.

Was the guy that answered the questions even on the development team?

I mean, the guy that delivered them their ramen in the afternoon could have fielded those questions just as well.

Was the guy that answered the questions even on the development team?

I mean, the guy that delivered them their ramen in the afternoon could have fielded those questions just as well.

Hell, I could've answered those questions just as well.

Lol!

These answers are REALLY disappointing. But it's nice to know that Amy cheese was loved from the get-go.

Lame results! At least they pseudo-answered the lag tactics question with a vague commitment to do something about it...

If Rock isn't an afterthought, then tell me what other reason would there be for him and Amy to be the only two normal characters to not have a true 2P costume and share voices with CaS characters?

BTW you guys should understand that Namco is answering these questions for the casual players, who are 99% of the people who bought the game. So you can't blame them for the way they answered the questions.

I can't answer that, Oof. It's really strange and even more considering Amy had a true 2p costume in AE.

And Rock always had decent costumes throughout the series, so my only guess for these and the voices are deadline reasons.

If there is an upgrade to SC4 and there are costume changes for these 2, then it definitely was deadlines.

Q/A with Katsutoshi Sakasi...

Q: Was there a scene or character that didn't turn out as well as you had hoped or turned out better than you had hoped?
-Karri

A: To be honest, everything went beyond my expectations. However as we unveiled the character roster, some of the fans said that Astaroth looked too “monster-ish”. We actually designed him as a rugged rocky character. In terms of scenes, I personally like the “Distant Wetland” area. It’s an interesting stage that has a lush environment and animals.

-Broly

Q: Having seeing the online tactics (ie lag abuse, repetitive combos, button mashers) what are their thoughts on how online play has affected the series and the future of the series?
-Madjester

A: We will continue to improve on those aspects. Regardless of online play or offline play, repetitive combos need to be fixed to keep the fair game. I believe that the online match play will be mandatory to implement in fighting games from now on.
Duplicate questions for the first two. The third while it's hope that they will continue to patch things for balance, online play is the main focus when they begin to fix things.

what did you guys expect? that they say "oh, actually the sw chars suck balls and we could have added more features and online is ghey and stuff"? wake up.

of course, they are hyping their game and saying it's a success. it's business strategy!

what did you guys expect? that they say "oh, actually the sw chars suck balls and we could have added more features and online is ghey and stuff"? wake up.

of course, they are hyping their game and saying it's a success. it's business strategy!

ur exactly right. If you worked your ass off to make a product the the whole world enjoys, the last thing you will do is admit mistakes. or you will weasel your way around a confronting question with a vauge answer.

I agree, those questions were crap. I submitted a better question (imo), but you gotta consider the nerd that was going through the list of questions and throwing out the ones that would put namco on "the spot" and then submitting the easy "how did you get the idea for the costumes" questions. I didnt have much hope for that whole Q/A thing at all.

Heh, my question was submitted and he didn't really answer it at all.... "we changed characters that haven't been changed in a while"

That clearly explains how Ivy evolves in the SC games.

seems as if they change them jsut cause they feel like it!! i noticed that too...what a piece of shit answer..

yall think that the language barrier between the americans and japanese had a factor on the actual questions that were answered? it just seemed that they picked the easiest questions to answer instead of ones that actually mattered!

Back