Dragonfly combo spam online

Scesmoon

[09] Warrior
I am so sick of yoshi (DF)dragonfly B/K spam online. it wouldnt be so bad if BOTH of them didnt lead to guaranteed punishment combos if you guess wrong. the 50/50 combo mixups with him are nigh impossible to deal with as online you cant react in time even if i see which my opponent starts to do.

if he DF - K's i get doorknockered (6A+B,A,A,A,A,...) into next week and if he DF - B's i get 3B into an entirely different combo. and both are guaranteed. that is some bullsh*t, and im tired of seeing it spammed for easy dmg/wins, and thats only one of his excruciatingly OP guarantees. i wont even start on all his retarded wide tracking verticals and flying UBs.

(again im talking online. offline its not as bad as i can see and react in time. though having a 50/50 mixup with resulting guaranteed combos is kinda ridiculous one way or another but guess thats why he's top tier...)

MJD B is safe, but he's at -5 so you can start a bit of pressure depending on who you play. MJD K is -22, and you can and should punish the hell out of that, assuming your character has good FC or WR options.

Really, it's just a bunch of "who are you playing as" knowledge that you need to have if you want him to stop going into MJD. -22 is a lot of frames, so you should be able to find SOMETHING nice, regardless of who you play.

MJD B is safe, but he's at -5 so you can start a bit of pressure depending on who you play. MJD K is -22, and you can and should punish the hell out of that, assuming your character has good FC or WR options.

Really, it's just a bunch of "who are you playing as" knowledge that you need to have if you want him to stop going into MJD. -22 is a lot of frames, so you should be able to find SOMETHING nice, regardless of who you play.

again the problem is the guessing part. i know how to punish him if i predict which one. the issue is not being able to see which one and react in time online. if he K's yeah he gets his ass handed to him, if he B's and i see and step it, he also gets his ass handed to him. the issue is online you dont have the option of seeing and reacting, you must guess. and if you guess wrong, you could potentially lose the round just cause of the resulting combos from that set up.

and my main is ASTAR, i can titanbomb him out of dragonfly if i see it coming as its slow enough but again, being slow is just not enough online.

Oh, right, you're playing online. That's how online works (or doesn't, in this case). If you wanna play online, you either have to A) Find people who don't subject you to stupid online-only bullshit all the time, and many of these people are on this site, or B) Deal with it. It's how it is.

Never let a Yoshi get into DGF. Basic rule for anyone. In this case, Asty should love DGF happy Yoshis. You can just air grab them. Bottom line? Stop waiting for either option and eliminate the DGF altogether.

DGF is Yoshi’s most tricky stance to actually enter into without getting hit, so you need to up pressure before that somehow. And BTW, he is certainly not top tier. Good, yes, even capable of winning tournaments in the right hands, but nowhere near top; he is too risky and stance dependent. Online is screwy in general though, no real point in complaining about it.

Yoshi gets garaunteed MDF wake-up off of FC 3K and DNK(ground) so expect something like this to happen after these attacks connect rather than the usual FC 3K, FC 2K~wakes easy combo or the DNK(ground), 3B combo... If you do just ukemi DNK(ground) you're still at enough advantage for MDF A*K to frame trap, MDF B however is slow enough to be interrupted, with Asta's Bullrush MDF A and MDF B get beat out, but due to MDF K being faster you have to step/ block and react to the MDF B... MDF K being i22 is naturally frustrating to react to, it can be done if you predict it, however in force guard scenarios its not used as a mixup, its used to catch rolling, and likewise MDF B is not used as a mixup, rather off the FC 3K setup its used for garaunteed heavy soul guage damage since it breaks in 10 I believe... Because its online the MDF setup also funcitons as a mixup due to it being "lag-boosted"... If Yoshi's are just spitting out MDF pressure as pokes etc. then Bullrush or space to interrupt, if you can react to MDF K then MDF pressure shouldn't be a problem for you if its used as a poke, react to the transition... However in the proper setups you just have to deal with it, which you can block low immediatley anticipating MDF K and stand~{G} when reacting to MDF B (seeing as its i30)... Don't let Yoshi's get away with buffered combos and try to 6K or FC 2K them with Asta after blocking MDF B, if they repel you then command-grab them because thats what Asta wants, try to anticipate this problem and don't hesitate too long... Just trying to help... BTW, iFC 3K is what you have to watch out for, done right its really frustrating to deal with, another option dealing with this and MDF Force Block is to stay down and eat MDF K on the ground, Yoshi can still get a very tricky wake-up pressure after this though...

If Yoshi is doing it on grounded, just stay down. He gets a free DGF K and then you're too far away to do anything. If he's doing it at neutral, use a TC mid to knock him down.

Seriously though people get DGF mixups to stick all the time even at tournament level. It definitely is reactable but it's not easy to react to by any means. You can watch recent tournament finals where NeoRussel makes these mixups stick vs Eli, who's a very solid player.

I'll admit it, when I play Yoshi online I will use DGF mixups vs grounded. I'm not giving a random person online the benefit of the doubt of reacting to a mixup that so few people react to. I don't use it exclusively though. It's very grey area, so a lot more people will react to it if you use it every time. But if you mix it up a lot then you can get tons and tons of people to eat these mixups.

Back