El Fortune - Guard Impact

Accordian_Man

[08] Mercenary
Can anyone of you suggest how I could or should be using Sophie's El Fortune moves? The frame data is a little unclear for me and in view of the speed and relatively large damage it can do I'd like to know more. I have reassigned the L1 button to A+B so making the move is dead easy. using it usefully is another matter.

Well is it a aGI. Whenever you see an enemy repeating mids or so, pull it off. You can also use it right before the second hiMist of Asura. Predict a move and use it. Its very usefull. Like Mitsu's Relic A+B+K.

I'm not sure I know what your question is, but I'll take some guesses and see if I can answer it.

El fortune is an auto-GIing move that works a lot like a regular Guard Impact in that it deflects certain attacks that come into contact with your character, benefiting you when that happens, but if it doesn't deflect an attack, does nothing. It specifically deflects all Mid (and SMid and SLow) attacks from frames 4-13 after the motion starts. Like a normal GI, the primary benefit of A+B is that it allows you an aggressive option when you are at frame disadvantage to your opponent(i.e. because they blocked your attack or hit you with their own) and the primary disadvantages are that it doesn't defeat a very broad spectrum of your opponent's options(only certain attacks thrown in the GI window) and when it doesn't Impact an attack, you're left wide open.

A+B has a couple distinct advantages over a regular GI, it has a relatively long active GI window (4-13 vs. 2-8, 2-10 for repel and parry respectively) and when it is triggered the follow up attacks almost always hit(the attacks sometimes don't trigger if you are too far away and they sometimes miss if you are facing a bad angle, both rather infrequent occurrences), can't be re-GIed and tend towards high damage if you can follow-up properly. The downsides are that it only covers Mids where GIs can also cover Highs or Lows(depending on which you choose), and when A+B misses, you are left open significantly longer (50 frames vs. something in the low 30s). Also you can't re-GI an opponent's aGI with A+B.

The result is a GI with high risk and high reward.

The follow-up attack that comes out when A+B Impacts your opponent's attack is based on what the properties of the Impacted attack were: If a Horizontal, Sophie spins striking the opponent with the hilt of her sword, doing a measly 8 damage and causing a long stun that can lead to a lot more(note this attack whiffs if opponent is SCed by the Impact, a plus) If a Vertical, Sophie uppercuts the opponent with her shield, flying into the air and starting a string that proceeds A then K (damage is unimpressive if you don't finish the string) If a Body Attack, Sophie does her A+K, a spinning snapping heel to the face dealing 27(iirc) damage allowing a small juggle or a difficult to implement tech trap. The different follow-ups give you little time to react so you need to get used to either reacting to them on sight, reacting to the property the enemy move was or inputting an option select, otherwise you'll lose most of the benefit of getting A+B to activate.

As alluded to above(both by myself and Senzait), the point of A+B is to catch opponents doing Mid attacks. It serves little use when you are at decent frame advantage however because your mid attacks will likely beat your opponent's mid attacks while also beating out a number of other options with potentially less risk(also because the GI window will start early and your opponents attack will hit after it is over). If your opponent throws a lot of Mids or if they use Mid attacks in some fashion you can predict then A+B will be useful against that behavior. However as I mentioned, A+B is risky, so don't abuse it unless you can be fairly certain it will work(or your opponent is bad at taking advantage of the miss). Because of the long cool down, an opponent who guesses the move can nail you with just about the nastiest move they have or in the alternative wait safely to see if you do A+B, then react and punish(difficult to do with normal GI, practically effortless against A+B).

If that doesn't answer your question, or you have more you want to ask feel free.

Wow, thanks for the full and very useful feedback Suirad. I much appreciate the effort you put into it. Certainly a fascinating subject. You have given me a lot to think about.

If you don't land the agi at least 3 times a match, you're doing something wrong in my experience... That or TAS B TASB:4 ^_^

Final question for me on Auto GI......
Is it possible to do on-line?
Last night I got slaughtered by Cervantes on-line with his stupid tele-porting (who's idea was that?) and even though I've been practising Auto GI I just can't get the hang of it.

for sure you can and should be using the move every chance you get. its very useful against Cervy with all his mid moves and stops his teleporting very good. easy way to get use to using the move is in training. go to training and set the comp to block on first action, second action have them attack with 3b. then just try out some BB with sophie and once its blocked go into A+B to get the timing. very easy and useful. goodluck

Its a great move, BUT be careful - whiff it offline and expect to be hit by your opponents biggest combo =/

Thanks for the tip Mavericks and Synraii.
Using the training for anything other than trying my own moves is new to me.
Are there any good threads or tips on how you can make the computer work for you with the training module?

it is a good move, but is situational. use it to break strings as listed in the guide above. why on earth you would use it on cervy teleport is beyond me. it is far easier to just step it and TASb or launcher of your choice,

Thanks for the tip Mavericks and Synraii.
Using the training for anything other than trying my own moves is new to me.
Are there any good threads or tips on how you can make the computer work for you with the training module?
try the recording option, the top line where it say "freestyle" i think. i use that so much to help with figuring out Auto GI's, loving sophitia's 4K right now.

A description of how to use practice mode would be a little involved for the scope of this thread, but using the record setting by itself and together with the recorded command option under the freestyle setting can generate a broad range of game states you can recreate/test/practice against.

As far as trying to react to cervy teleport's with A+B it's doable, even online(though you have to be on your toes) but be warned that if he TPs behind you it must be done differently(G~ A+B) and that change is not easy to react to. Stepping(or even 8wayruning) it on reaction as lobo suggests tends to cover both options, though you'd need to practice your post whiff punishment to make it as lucrative in terms of damage.

Back