Equipment break discussion/poll

Should the armor break mechanic be removed?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AMillionHP

[13] Hero
Here we'll discuss people's thoughts on the equipment breaking mechanic, how it could be improved, etc.

I've included a poll with three choices because i felt that may be more useful to the development team in the off chance they see this thread and use it as a reference for fan feedback. In case a "toggle" option would be out of the question design wise due to unknown complications the general puplic is unaware of. Such as lack of programming/coding knowledge and that sort of thing. So for that reason i included 3 choices. I figure PS might get a clearer picture on how people feel about the mechanic in general.

Equipment break is a good feature that is not used properly in SCVI.

Disappearing equipment for non-cas character represent a downgrade, with a fan service turning to ridiculous.

Allow player to toggle option for removal would be a back to normal for non-cas character and an upgrade for cas-characters.
A dream improvement would be to have a damaged version of all parts of equipment. But that option is dead.

The thing shouldn't be about keeping or removing a bad implemented mechanic. But improving it. At the end te intention should be to feel the combat more cool and real.

A good example of this is how Akira Toriyama showed damage in his characters during DBZ, justifying the cool broken clothes with the attacks the character received. Since then, the marketing team sees that damage as a cosmetic design to use in marketing and in Super, Goku will only have 2 cosmetic damages. One with his blue shirt with a little hole on it, and the other being him topless. No creative decision about the outcome of battles and it's consequences.
This is lazy writting/design. But everyone can say without a doubt that they prefer this over keeping all the characters with indistructible clothes.

It's just that we know that toggling is possible through modding. I have seen modders in sc5 whose male characters just loose restricting jackets and helmets, while they retain pauldrons, gauntlets, belts, pants, and shoes, which made them... Well... Look sexier as a result.
It seems to me like a much more creatively liberating AND easy solution, given the game's framework.

Equipment break is a good feature that is not used properly in SCVI.

Disappearing equipment for non-cas character represent a downgrade, with a fan service turning to ridiculous.

Allow player to toggle option for removal would be a back to normal for non-cas character and an upgrade for cas-characters.
A dream improvement would be to have a damaged version of all parts of equipment. But that option is dead.
I think this option should be made in the main cast costumes via a patch. I don't consider this a lost battle and we should be very vocal about it.
"We're buying your title at launch because we love the franchise. But it has big flaws that has to be addresed while the game is still fresh, and our complaints shouldn't be keep for the next game, but takled right now."

It's just that we know that toggling is possible through modding. I have seen modders in sc5 whose male characters just loose restricting jackets and helmets, while they retain pauldrons, gauntlets, belts, pants, and shoes, which made them... Well... Look sexier as a result.
It seems to me like a much more creatively liberating AND easy solution, given the game's framework.
this is promising in terms of modding

even if the devs do nothing maybe some PC modders will make it a feature

Interesting but i wonder how online interactions would run with this? Say you're in a lobby with several people, would it be a bit too much for the game to keep track of every individual player's settings?

Or should it just apply to you're own character while other character's equipment breaks normally?

I feel a lot people won't agree with me on this but it is worth noting that there can be a degree of satisfaction and enjoyment gained from destroying the outfits of poorly designed/ridiculous looking CAS/custom characters.

Interesting but i wonder how online interactions would run with this? Say you're in a lobby with several people, would it be a bit too much for the game to keep track of every individual player's settings?

Or should it just apply to you're own character while other character's equipment breaks normally?
It would just apply to how you see the match. Those with it toggled off would see their match and all matches they watch with it toggled off, while those with it toggled on would see the reverse.

I think i'd be a huge fan if it was like clothes getting dirty and torn and such. But the way it's now i'm not a huge fan of it, tho there aspect i love from it like when Kilik's hair going untie, but things like the whole clothes getting just evaporate like for Mitsu's doesn't look that great imo.

Anyway if they add a turn off option i think that's the best thing they can do, don't think they'll be able to improve it now as the game is finish (but maybe for SC7?). Also since it doesn't seems to be tie to gameplay in anyway i don't think there is an issue with adding toggle?

Get annoyed at me.
Everyone is whining about it, it's so petty. Maybe it isn't ideal for everyone, but otherwise we would not be getting parts. I don't get why everyone is so bothered about it. Is it the feet? Everyone complains about characters being barefoot or something? I never see anyone complaining about siegfried or nightmare or Voldo. So what's actually the problem?

Honestly, I'd prefer it to be consistent. Maybe other CaS players in general will agree with me, but i genuinely don't mind the armor break, in fact, it like it. It's consistent, it makes my characters feel closer to the actual cast. It might be a bit ott, but it's funny. The budget is not limitless, hell, I doubt it's even that big, i doubt there is enough room to make multiple models for each outfit, and even if we did, the chances are we wouldn't even get the stuff as CaS parts. Even if we did they would be much lower quality. I hate to come across as an twat, but y'know, is the equipment break really THAT bad? I mean, the game is not going to be on a high budget because the higher-ups DGAF about SC and Okubo and his team is getting this shit, even though they are doing their best to make this the best SC so far. But we just complain about tiny little things that aren't going to ruin the entire game forever. Are people really going to stop buying a game because the equipment break isn't "immersive" enough? No, that's retarded. I really, honestly hate that i'm the one saying this, but it isn't a bloody issue.

If it is really that big of an issue, don't do the lethal hits. Or even better, just support the game so it is successful. Maybe then namco will make a SCVII, then there can be ripping and denting armor breaks rather than disintegration breaks.

Get annoyed at me.
Everyone is whining about it, it's so petty. Maybe it isn't ideal for everyone, but otherwise we would not be getting parts. I don't get why everyone is so bothered about it. Is it the feet? Everyone complains about characters being barefoot or something? I never see anyone complaining about siegfried or nightmare or Voldo. So what's actually the problem?

Honestly, I'd prefer it to be consistent. Maybe other CaS players in general will agree with me, but i genuinely don't mind the armor break, in fact, it like it. It's consistent, it makes my characters feel closer to the actual cast. It might be a bit ott, but it's funny. The budget is not limitless, hell, I doubt it's even that big, i doubt there is enough room to make multiple models for each outfit, and even if we did, the chances are we wouldn't even get the stuff as CaS parts. Even if we did they would be much lower quality. I hate to come across as an twat, but y'know, is the equipment break really THAT bad? I mean, the game is not going to be on a high budget because the higher-ups DGAF about SC and Okubo and his team is getting this shit, even though they are doing their best to make this the best SC so far. But we just complain about tiny little things that aren't going to ruin the entire game forever. Are people really going to stop buying a game because the equipment break isn't "immersive" enough? No, that's retarded. I really, honestly hate that i'm the one saying this, but it isn't a bloody issue.

If it is really that big of an issue, don't do the lethal hits. Or even better, just support the game so it is successful. Maybe then namco will make a SCVII, then there can be ripping and denting armor breaks rather than disintegration breaks.
I bet there are many more people who agree, but this topic is so irrelevant that we just don't waste our energy on replying...

Get annoyed at me.

It sounds like whining to you, but it is simply a discussion on how to enable a greater (albeit slightly better) enjoyment and liberty in using our characters. Of course nobody is NOT going to buy the game because their tiny preferences aren't being matched, but if one is capable of imagining a better way of doing something, as a whole bunch of people just did in the general discussion thread, of course they'll try to make themselves heard. That's what forums have been all about since the antiquity.

Also, your opinion is quite specific - as in uncommon. I have never before heard someone say that they like the current way of equipment destruction.

It sounds like whining to you, but it is simply a discussion on how to enable a greater (albeit slightly better) enjoyment and liberty in using our characters. Of course nobody is NOT going to buy the game because their tiny preferences aren't being matched, but if one is capable of imagining a better way of doing something, as a whole bunch of people just did in the general discussion thread, of course they'll try to make themselves heard. That's what forums have been all about since the antiquity.

Also, your opinion is quite specific - as in uncommon. I have never before heard someone say that they like the current way of equipment destruction.
Eh, I say that because I like consistentcy. That bugged me a lot in sc5 so I had to waste slots on characters I didn't play just because armor break annoyed me. I'd rather things were consistent than lie sc4. It's more that i don't really mind whether it's disintegration or scratches, I just want consistentcy.

I think most of us are aware it probably wouldnt be possible for each piece of equipment to display a "broken version" because that essentially doubles the equipment count.

I would also assume that the majority of people wanting options to turn off or specify which pieces break would rather see the mechanic removed entirely if that weren't an option. I remember the series was doing just fine before it showed up and i dont get the impression it has ever added much substance to gameplay.

I think people should have the option to toggle it on or off, but I don't think it should be removed. Maybe it could be done better, but I'd rather them spend more time and money on characters and stages to be honest.

I think most of us are aware it probably wouldnt be possible for each piece of equipment to display a "broken version" because that essentially doubles the equipment count.

I would also assume that the majority of people wanting options to turn off or specify which pieces break would rather see the mechanic removed entirely if that weren't an option. I remember the series was doing just fine before it showed up and i dont get the impression it has ever added much substance to gameplay.
Same here. Sc1-3 didn't have it and the games were fine without it. I like to see all the detail on the costumes to be honest.

Here is the thing that really surprises me about PS's decision to implement this feature and keep it there for the span of games its been included. It will end up annoying far more people than not because different people will dislike it for different reasons.

First off it directly conflicts with "CAS-a-holics" who particularly enjoy creating characters with cool outfits only to have them stripped and destroyed every match. They generally speaking won't enjoy this feature because they may have put time and effort into making them.

Secondly there are definitely certain people that are put-off by the fan-servicey sexualization aspect of the mechanic and find it creepy and disturbing to see characters' clothing stripped in the middle of a duel.

Lastly you also have groups of people such as myself who are a little picky about character aesthetics and appearances and find it visually odd to see a platemail dressed Knight in underwear and no shoes.

Back