FPS...the perfect excuse for a lame game

That would be fine, if I wasn't being extremely sarcastic. Better comparisons can be made from Marvel 3 to Ultimate Marvel 3.

oh i got the sarcasm. you don't give me enough credit. you have to understand, I will use whatever opportunity i get to shit on this game.

Whats the point of buying a FPS if you know that the next year a new one is gonna come, that is about the same but with improvements, and after that one there is gonna come another one, infinite cycle fueled by the masses.

You mean like every professional and college sports video game ever made?

I feel the amount of content in singleplayer for a FPS should last for at least 20hrs max and 12hrs minimum. I borrowed MW2 to play the story and took it back that same evening. How people justify 60 bucks on these games i'll never know.

Super Mario has the worst story I've ever seen, which is why I refuse to buy it to this day.
Not sure if your disagreeing/agreeing but yes its storyline is very cliche like most of nintendo's popular games. Though since it was originally for children(imo it still is) it fits the bill perfectly.

The point was that you can have a fun (nay, great) game without a good story, or even without a story at all. I buy Halo and Mario for the same reason.

But they both have a story however nonexistent Mario's is while playing. L4d would have been a better example even though reading the comic i was pulling out my hair. All that backstory would have made that game fantastic.

Well I don't think that story telling is really the point. Is about a good SP mode, even if the story is senseless or complex a SP mode should provide hours of fun and should bring something that is at least a little bit different than the previous game. I don't hate FPS, I actually have some, but the ones I have is because they have a good SP mode. MP online is: kill, die, respawn, kill, die, respawn, and as fun as that can be, is really not different than in other game of the same gender that is focus on MP.

The last time I think I really enjoyed the hell out of a FPS SP campaign was the origional Deus Ex. (New one just didn't do it for me) I like FPS games but they really are getting dragged out too much.

If he's an avid fan of both genres you don't really raise a point.

I think the push for "realism" is why the genre is becoming so bland. What was the last big game that you could rocket jump in?

This is really my beef with FPS. All the elements of the games I used to find fun are being eliminated because the developers just play follow the leader. There is no real reason why their couldn't be more diversity of ideas in the genre except fans seem to not want it. One of the reasons I wanted Duke Nukem to succeed so much was I hoped it could help bring back some older shooter conventions. Instead it ended up shit and just gave IGN an excuse to say "Oldschool sucks, go play COD."

The point was that you can have a fun (nay, great) game without a good story, or even without a story at all. I buy Halo and Mario for the same reason.

While I completely agree with that statement, still I have seen countless people tell me how epic Halo's story is. Confuses the hell out of me (seriously, the enemies make silly noises like Wort Wort) but they do. Same with games like Devil May Cry which also have an abyssmal story. Sure simple but fun games like Pong or Tetris could become huge with no need for a story but for a modern day huge budget blockbuster title to get big they have to have stories. The audience simply demands it. The only real exceptions I can think of to this are games like the SIMS which gets into user created content.

I read this article from IGN and I agree on every single line

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1212380p1.html

There is nothing more lame and pathetic than a FPS SP mode, and playing just for the MP is stupid since is basically the same as playing previous versions of ANY! other FPS. Take MW3 as an example the MP is just a little bit of an improvement over MW2, there is nothing there they couldn't have made with DLC.

Recent FPS are just bland and LAME LAME LAME!
While I agree SP has taken a HUUUUGE dive...I largely disagree with your view on MP. Is MW3 the same? yes...but that's a COD thing (they are no longer the best MP experience out there). But other franchises like BF3 have done a LOT. BF3 from Bf2 or BF:BC2 has a lot of adjustments and innovations. Hopefully BF3 has set an example and CS:GO will see another advancement in the FPS and hopefully other shooters. COD is the issue really.

While I would like to see a good SP return, like us with the FG community, a lot of us want a solid MP more because that has far more replay value.

Also Mw3 and BF3 are NOT similar. The play style is very different and the amount of things you can do in BF3 make it something of it's own beast. MW3 is purely arcade shooter. It's unbalanced, over accurate guns in tight corners, twitch shooting and opportunity is the name of the game. You can 1 man army COD and control a team match with ease and getting kills is simple. BF3 requires much more attention to whats going on around you and you must be a team player and have to do various things other than shoot at enemies. The guns also require much more skill and forces you to choose targets carefully or giveaway your location. Maps are much larger, vehicles are a big factor, destruction, etc...etc... BF3 is about being productive and efficient, COD is purely about KDR and killstreaks...a flawed gauging of skill.

While I completely agree with that statement, still I have seen countless people tell me how epic Halo's story is. Confuses the hell out of me (seriously, the enemies make silly noises like Wort Wort) but they do. Same with games like Devil May Cry which also have an abyssmal story. Sure simple but fun games like Pong or Tetris could become huge with no need for a story but for a modern day huge budget blockbuster title to get big they have to have stories. The audience simply demands it. The only real exceptions I can think of to this are games like the SIMS which gets into user created content.

I could make the argument that Halo's story is way better than that of most FPSs (I do think so) but at the end of the day it still isn't anything special.

My problem with this thread is that first of all it's using IGN as a topic starter, and secondly you guys are complaining about the single player aspects of a genre that is designed almost explicitly for multiplayer. Single player in most FPS games IS tacked on, because it is usually the least-used aspect of the game. Exceptions exist like Half Life, Bioshock, Deus Ex, System Shock, etc., but even looking at old school can you tell me HONESTLY that Quake was better when it emphasized its story over its multiplayer?

It's pretty hypocritical for this forum of all places to muck around on this topic when we scrutinize morons daily for worrying about Soul Calibur's story, which is dreadful.

That said, I completely agree about old-school conventions. Bring back numbered health and the ability to hold 20 guns! It's one of the reasons the new Serious Sam is going to rock.

Well I don't think that story telling is really the point. Is about a good SP mode, even if the story is senseless or complex a SP mode should provide hours of fun and should bring something that is at least a little bit different than the previous game. I don't hate FPS, I actually have some, but the ones I have is because they have a good SP mode. MP online is: kill, die, respawn, kill, die, respawn, and as fun as that can be, is really not different than in other game of the same gender that is focus on MP.

If you find forced repetition for the purpose of learning a game to be boring then my advice is to get out of fighting games ASAP

If you find forced repetition for the purpose of learning a game to be boring then my advice is to get out of fighting games ASAP.

And who in the first place said that I like FG? thats another gender I don't like, I love SC (but SC4, I hate that one), but thats it, and I love it cause of the epic characters and also I like the story :)

Keep in mind Azazel that while SP can do scripted things to change the experience, people often find the AI repetitive. How often do you stray from a strategy when dealing with certain swarms of enemies? You rarely do. Run n gun is too risky, so 90% of the time you're crouched behind cover waiting for an enemy to peek out. But in MP players are smart and you get much more thrown at you and both of you must adapt. In this sense it is NOT repetitive. Same with FGs, sure they have the same moves, but their strategy will be different than another players and they will learn to fight you.

As for regen health, normally I hate it but there have been good uses. The 1st halo was very smart with it's half static/half regen. You could get longevity, but you couldn't depend on only recovering to 50% health the whole time. Later additions tossed this and it made camping/long range OP with full regen. Back on my BF3 love, they do a very good job with it simply because it is a very slow heal unless a medkit helps out. Se even if you don't die, the down time for recovering means you're not helping the team and might as well be dead.

also...

And who in the first place said that I like FG? thats another gender I don't like, I love SC (but SC4, I hate that one), but thats it, and I love it cause of the epic characters and also I like the story :)

SC...now a gender.

well to be honest i think its a trent FPS are going to have their fame for bit and another game genre is going to take over. Well the think is with fighting game is that most casual players don't buy fighting games because its to hard, they neither have the time or dedication to get better. That's why the super smash bros serie got real popular, Casuals got an easy fighting game that did not require training. So if you don't like the FPS don't buy the games.

Back