FPS...the perfect excuse for a lame game

You're still missing the point. Call of Duty, as shameful as it may be, still wasn't created for its single player.

Well then why is there a Campaign mode? Because the greatest solely multiplayer shooter has already been made, Counter Strike 1.6.

I played Bad Company 2, liked it a lot, single player started off interesting, but failed. Being able to watch an entire 4 story building fall with some well-placed C4, does not get old.

Now that is an epic game. Even though the main character is a douchebag.

Give me a modern shooting game made in the past 5 years where the main character isn't a douchebag. To make it hard, disregard the Bioshock series.

Another gripe with modern shooters, and video games in general. Why do so many male protagonists talk like Batman?

Well then why is there a Campaign mode? Because the greatest solely multiplayer shooter has already been made, Counter Strike 1.6.

Some of us don't like round-based FPS. No doubt CS is amazing, but to me the most fun I've had with shooters on PC was with Quake 3 Arena.

And CoD's single player is a series of playable set-pieces similar to Uncharted (on a much smaller and less complicated scale, of course). Uncharted and CoD are basically opposites, with Uncharted's singleplayer set-pieces being the main feature while CoD's arcade-shooter styled wackiness is the emphasis for that game. You will never hear me compare CoD favorably to CS, it will never be half the game CS is, but I'll be damned if CoD isn't entertaining. It is so clearly not a competitive game, so take it for what it is.

Give me a modern shooting game made in the past 5 years where the main character isn't a douchebag. To make it hard, disregard the Bioshock series.
.... Halo?

Some of us don't like round-based FPS. No doubt CS is amazing, but to me the most fun I've had with shooters on PC was with Quake 3 Arena.

You will never hear me compare CoD favorably to CS, it will never be half the game CS is, but I'll be damned if CoD isn't entertaining. It is so clearly not a competitive game, so take it for what it is.

.... Halo?

Halo was great because the Master Chief isn't so much a character as a blank slate for player self-insertion. Even Call of Duty does this.

Halo Reach for example, 'you' were the main character. Fighting against aliens for team Stereotype.

This topic has me scratching my head a bit. I don't play shooters much, but they can be quite fun when I do, especially with a group of friends. While I think shooters could make bigger improvements between titles, I also realize that my limited play of them has me only looking at small aspects of the gameplay, and likely not noticing some of the changes made.

Should shooters have better stories? In a perfect world. But so should fighting games, including our beloved SC. While it has the best story of any fighting game I've seen, it's not exactly world-class writing.

The point is, buy games that you like. Everybody has different tastes in all aspects of life, including gaming. I for one think its funny that everyone is talking about how cut-and-paste shooters are, and yet only one or two people mentions sports games. Of course, I like Dragon Ball Z games, so to each his own. :p

Anyways, everybody take a chill pill. They're games. They are meant to be enjoyed. If you don't like certain games, don't play them. There's no reason to criticize another person for having different interests.

This topic has me scratching my head a bit. I don't play shooters much, but they can be quite fun when I do, especially with a group of friends. While I think shooters could make bigger improvements between titles, I also realize that my limited play of them has me only looking at small aspects of the gameplay, and likely not noticing some of the changes made.

Should shooters have better stories? In a perfect world. But so should fighting games, including our beloved SC. While it has the best story of any fighting game I've seen, it's not exactly world-class writing.

The point is, buy games that you like. Everybody has different tastes in all aspects of life, including gaming. I for one think its funny that everyone is talking about how cut-and-paste shooters are, and yet only one or two people mentions sports games. Of course, I like Dragon Ball Z games, so to each his own. :p

Anyways, everybody take a chill pill. They're games. They are meant to be enjoyed. If you don't like certain games, don't play them. There's no reason to criticize another person for having different interests.

Agreed. What would the world be like if a fighting game had as good a story as say, Bioshock or Uncharted... I'm going to school for writing, anyone going for game design? We could totally set something up. I've stated this elsewhere, but I think the Soul Calibur series has a great story, but it's execution is horrid. And to the developers credit, creating an individual campaign for each character, narrative, cut scenes, unique only to them would be hell on the developing team. Yahtzee Croshaw says it best about Soul Calibur IV, "It's the writer had an epic story planned out and then someone told him it was going to be a fighting game."

The above post by Habast perfectly illustrates my view of the Uncharted series: damn good story, characters. To quote Austin Powers, "That's just not my bag, baby."

2yytpxi.jpg

Genre is no excuse for a games terribleness. I don't know what draws you to a game, but single player story is it for me. This being a Soul Calibur forum, it would seem hypocritical of me to say that the Soul series has a good story. I think it does have a good story. However, the execution of that story leaves much to be desired. Some of the characters have great reasons for doing what they do. But, if you know anything at all about Cassandra and Sophitia's relationship, you (like me) had to go look it up.

The FPS genre as a whole, lacks pacing. It's a constant barrage of explosions and gunfights that just leave you bored and kind of wiped out after playing it, ergo Bioshock 2 (Bioshock 1 was excellent). And dear lord don't get me started on the overused antagonists, Terrorists, Russians; they all fall in that vein of Star Wars villains, "We're evil because someone has to be."

Enough of my rantings.

On a different topic:

Online Math is so hard... :)

Don't compare Fps villains to anything Star Wars related-Least Blowing up the 2nd Death Star Never gets old-however having to fight Russians all the time needs to stop. I mean even ACE FREAKING COMBAT had Russians attacking America (The last few levels were fun) I'd rather go back to the 90's and fight off aliens instead.

You're missing the point. Soulcalibur and other fighting games have never oversaturated the market to the point it feels like multiple versions of the same game/theme like war shooters have. It's ridiculous and is actually the reason why I don't play FPS. Other games, like SCV and even Bioshock, deserve more attention than what they get, but get overshadowed by the same military based FPS we've seen 1000 times already.

On the surface FPS games all seem the same in the same way all fighter games look the same. Health bars, timers, two fighters on one screen, maybe a super bar, round counter, etc.

Don't compare Fps villains to anything Star Wars related-Least Blowing up the 2nd Death Star Never gets old-however having to fight Russians all the time needs to stop. I mean even ACE FREAKING COMBAT had Russians attacking America (The last few levels were fun) I'd rather go back to the 90's and fight off aliens instead.

I agree, and sorry if I stepped on your toes. Just not a big Star Wars guy. And do you mean the new Ace Combat? I was going to play that but, now that "The Russians did it! Again..." I probably won't bother, can't we come up with something more original?

On the surface FPS games all seem the same in the same way all fighter games look the same. Health bars, timers, two fighters on one screen, maybe a super bar, round counter, etc.

And all Racing games, and all RTS games, and MMORPGS, and another ****ing Halo game, and even outside of games (ergo Tyler Perry). It's hard to not be a cynic these days eh?

Though, if the formula does work (like for fighting games, or Gran Turismo, why would you want to change it? You just want to tweak it a little, make everything about it a little bit better.

Back