Guilty Gear 2: Overture

BLDave

[09] Warrior
Anyone out there have/seen/played this?

I recently picked it up and I have to say its definitely loads of fun.

Its like a combination of a 3d action game like dynasty warriors and starcraft. You control the production of your troops and have to direct them real time while the battle goes on. It can get pretty intense.

So how bout it people, anyone else?

I play this. I used to play it a lot more, but then I got back into SCIV, and, well....

I main Izuna. We should play sometime.

I played it. Love GG. Love Dynasty Warriors. Thought this was stiff, unpolished trash.

Id say you missed the beauty of the game then.

Its deffinatly a lot more stiff than dynasty warriors, but thats a stylistic choice. It actually means that your troops are not completely worthless, meaning you have to focus more on strategy than running around hammering X all day. I also would wonder how you come up with unpolished. The game is graphically gorgeous and the controls are super responsive. Not to say they don't take a but to get used to, but once you have the grasp of it you can really do some pretty neat stuff.

You must have 'gorgeous' mixed up with 'muddy, low-res garbage that could have been rendered on the Wii.' My bad. The game may have an appeal to you, but nearly anyone who has played it or even just laid eyes on it would agree with me. And again, I love Guilty Gear. Really do. Even made a Japanese Live account to download the demo a year ago when it popped up over there. There is nothing solid about this game other than the inclusion of some of their signature moves.

Only a fanboy (a really, really big one) could appreciate this game on the level you do. I'm not insulting you. Just saying that you are clearly motivated by your own love of the game with your statements. I absolutely loved Mercenaries 2, but I'd be remiss if I didn't mention all the things it has wrong with it before recommending it blindly to people. Same concept.

You must have 'gorgeous' mixed up with 'muddy, low-res garbage that could have been rendered on the Wii.' My bad. The game may have an appeal to you, but nearly anyone who has played it or even just laid eyes on it would agree with me. And again, I love Guilty Gear. Really do. Even made a Japanese Live account to download the demo a year ago when it popped up over there. There is nothing solid about this game other than the inclusion of some of their signature moves.
We must not be playing the same game. The problem might be that youre still stuck playing the demo?

The game is visually VERY pretty, I can say it looks a lot sharper than many games released. Perhaps your TV/monitor isnt HD?

If you dont think its solid im not sure you've given it any time at all. The controls are responsive and there are plenty of different attacks per character to set up various things/combos. You cant just go in and mash buttons and expect to have any kind of experience whatsoever. The combat isnt guilty gear 2d fighter caliber, but its not dynasty warriors brain dead either.

The game really shines in its strategy too. You have to be very strong at micromanaging or else you can just get destroyed

Only a fanboy (a really, really big one) could appreciate this game on the level you do. I'm not insulting you. Just saying that you are clearly motivated by your own love of the game with your statements. I absolutely loved Mercenaries 2, but I'd be remiss if I didn't mention all the things it has wrong with it before recommending it blindly to people. Same concept.

Funny thing is I'm not really a guilty gear fan boy. Don't get me wrong, I like the series, but its never been one of the games i really follow. Any recommendations I've made are based on my experience playing the game. Its definitely not for everyone, because lots of people aren't going to like the mix of 3d action and strategy, but if you like the concept then there isn't really much the game does wrong.

I agree with Dave

The game isn't bad. It's actually a pretty interesting idea that I don't think was horrible in execution

I just don't think the Real Time Strategy fighting genre will ever catch on.

I don't think you have to be a fanboy to think that. Quite the opposite actually as most of the diehard fanbase were pretty much committed to hating it from the start because it wasn't a fighting game with all their favorite characters.

It's not a bad game I just don't think there will ever be a market for it.

Agreed with the above about its market chances, for the very reason that it's being compared to anything. It's just a completely new game. It has elements of plenty of different things but I think what it takes are strong points. You could easily think of it as a median between Warcraft 3's hero elements with Dynasty Warriors. Already I believe the fact that you can QUICKLY and EASILY order your troops makes it infinitely better the DW; I abhor DW for being a simple hack and slash against mindless (literally) drones, but with Overture the guys will at least hit you, and the bigger Slaves actually require strategy to take down.

It's all just a matter of approach. There's a reason why the first entree you have when you go to a new restaurant usually becomes your favorite because you have nothing else to compare it to.

Dave, I definitely do play in HD and that's a shoddy defense. Notice nobody chiming in on how amazing it looks. Does it look horrible? No, but it looks barely above the last generation. This is something that every person I've spoken to about it, love the game or otherwise, agrees on. Compare it to even Dynasty Warriors 6 and it pales in comparison. It has a nice effect here and there and the draw distance is pretty nice, but that's about it. Muddy textures, low poly-count character models, and aliasing issues are all there. Also, the demo is the same visually as the final product. There were no upgrades there.

Lastly before I leave this topic to watch the new episode of Lost, why, of all the things I said, did you focus most of your response on my criticism of the game's visual fidelity (or lack thereof, in my honest opinion)?

EDIT: Just 'cause: http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox360/guiltygear2overture?q=guilty gear

Dave, I definitely do play in HD and that's a shoddy defense. Notice nobody chiming in on how amazing it looks. Does it look horrible? No, but it looks barely above the last generation. This is something that every person I've spoken to about it, love the game or otherwise, agrees on. Compare it to even Dynasty Warriors 6 and it pales in comparison. It has a nice effect here and there and the draw distance is pretty nice, but that's about it. Muddy textures, low poly-count character models, and aliasing issues are all there. Also, the demo is the same visually as the final product. There were no upgrades there.
i guess we agree to disagree then, i think its really pretty, and everyone Ive show it to agrees with me, And ive shown it to hundreds of thousands of people. :)
Lastly before I leave this topic to watch the new episode of Lost, why, of all the things I said, did you focus most of your response on my criticism of the game's visual fidelity (or lack thereof, in my honest opinion)?

I did? I mean, Im not going to claim to be the smartest person in the world, but it SEEMS to me, that I only briefly covered the visual aspects in my responce. There might be something I'm missing though. Lets count, because counting is fun.
We must not be playing the same game. The problem might be that youre still stuck playing the demo? The game is visually VERY pretty, I can say it looks a lot sharper than many games released. Perhaps your TV/monitor isnt HD?
Lets give you the benefit of the doubt and call this 3 lines of text.
If you dont think its solid im not sure you've given it any time at all. The controls are responsive and there are plenty of different attacks per character to set up various things/combos. You cant just go in and mash buttons and expect to have any kind of experience whatsoever. The combat isnt guilty gear 2d fighter caliber, but its not dynasty warriors brain dead either. The game really shines in its strategy too. You have to be very strong at micromanaging or else you can just get destroyed. Funny thing is I'm not really a guilty gear fan boy. Don't get me wrong, I like the series, but its never been one of the games i really follow. Any recommendations I've made are based on my experience playing the game. Its definitely not for everyone, because lots of people aren't going to like the mix of 3d action and strategy, but if you like the concept then there isn't really much the game does wrong.
Lets even short change me and call this 6 lines of text.

Now, unless there's something i'm just missing, it seems like the visual aspects weren't really what i focused on most.

I mean, if i cant count on you to grasp basic things like this, how can i trust you to know what you're talking about at all? Please write back to me, and im sure that together we can work past this bump in our relationship. I still believe in you.

I meant over the course of your posts, not just the one. Also, your block of text there jumps from topic to topic, so it's not really right to group it all as one thing. Anyway, the end of my piece on it was the metacritic link. You can debate that if you want. It's going to come down to the fact that I don't find it to be a good game, along with every major source that touched it. Do I agree with every reviewer? No, but at least they cover all aspects of a game before judging it. I'm solely attacking the parts of it I dislike. Not a single one of those reviews has much positive to say other than on the strategy part; even then, they mostly agree that it's weak as a standalone component as well

You like your game. I get it it. But you're doing the exact opposite of what I'm doing: I'm attacking things about the game I dislike and ignoring whatever positive aspects there are. You are defending the game by picking out the few things you like and ignoring the rest. Here's the thing, though: controls being tight (which is debatable) isn't a plus in a game, it's an expectation. Aspects of gameplay aren't features to be lauded; again, it's expected that the gameplay itself is engaging and fun. The only thing you mentioned as a plus that isn't an expectation of even amateurish game design is, again, the graphics. That's why I posted the metacritic link, but again, you ignored it to focus on the few things you like. Either way, I'm done here, but just to humor you, I added it to my Gamefly queue. I'll be damned if I pay full price for this game just to see that the demo actually was very much representative of the final product.

Also, Sol's model looks stupid as hell.

One indisputable thing that the game has going for it is the soundtrack. I'm really not into game music like that, but I always have the GG2:O OST playing over the Soul Calibur music.

Give it a downlo-err, purchase, if you haven't heard it yet.

One indisputable thing that the game has going for it is the soundtrack. I'm really not into game music like that, but I always have the GG2:O OST playing over the Soul Calibur music.

Give it a downlo-err, purchase, if you haven't heard it yet.

Agreed, the remix to Ky's music, 'Holy Orders' ,specifically is amazing.

That's a great idea, I think I'm going to do that.

It's always fun when people realize that opinion equals truth.

Anyway, on a more important and relevant topic, has anyone downloaded the Raven DLC? I haven't yet, but I'd like to know what other people think about the way he works.

It's always fun when people realize that opinion equals truth.

Anyway, on a more important and relevant topic, has anyone downloaded the Raven DLC? I haven't yet, but I'd like to know what other people think about the way he works.

Ive got him. Hes very projectile heavy. Almost all of his Y attacks are projectiles including his lock-ons and aerial. He can Link his left and right lock on projectiles 3 times though. He really plays like a toned down version of him in his boss fight. He can throw out those vertical needles that stick in the ground to slow you way the hell down like in the boss fight, and he has a neat teleport move where he will teleport behind whatever he has locked on.

Cool. How are his servants? Are they more support like Sol's or balanced like Ky's? I have a hard time believing that his would be as strong as Paradigm's though.

I've been playing and loving this game.

It's really solid and surprisingly balanced. I've seen every character do well in high level, even low tier Valentine, lol. It's also seemingly really big in Japan, i went through the top 300 or so on leaderboards and couldn't find a non-asian account. There's also lots of sick matches on Nicovideo. This game requires a totally different mindset then most American console owners will be able to handle.

Darago, I've been playing Izuna too, what do you use for your BnB off XXX? I've been using XXX [MC] F.X J.XX * J.XX JD.X, nets about half life. Haven't found a solid BnB without the MC and I'm really scared that XX F.X is punishable. Izuna's so much damn work, lol.

If you don't like RTS you won't like this game. You pretty much have to RTS to win, even if you're Sol, although the micromanagement is significantly less with him since his army blows/his combos are stupid beefy.

Back