Hate Speech: When Worlds Collide (Revisited)

There’s nothing in this world more loathsome and repugnant than a flip-flopper. As we are reminded in every national election cycle, true leaders never change their minds, and they’re never, ever wrong. And I, of course, am a true leader, so please keep that in mind this week as we take another look at the function and implications of online play.

While I do indeed stand by everything I’ve previously said on the subject, the shockingly decent netplay afforded us by SC5 definitely warrants a new round of consideration regarding what benefits it ultimately provides us, the limits of its usefulness, and how far it can take us in our development as players.

Legitimately Playable Netcode (and Other Signs of the Apocalypse)

As we all know, when space aliens came down from on high and taught the ancient Mayans about science, mathematics, pyramid building, and online fighting games, it was with the understanding that they would closely guard these secrets until the end of days. With the end times now upon us, however—it’s 2012, after all—we finally have access to online play in a 3D game that isn’t patently terrible. In fact, it’s quite good . . . deceptively so, at times. That being the case, let’s dive back into what online play is and is not.

In the interest of fairness, a rebuttal to the above point.
First and foremost, online play is still not actual SCV, despite the fact that it approximates the actual (read: offline) gameplay experience far more faithfully than its predecessor ever could. The distinctions are, of course, subtle, but they’re nonetheless important. A multitude of online “lag tactics” still exist. Certain lows become much more difficult to block on reaction, some setups which require precision timing to defeat become entirely more solid than in fact they are in offline play, and numerous other small yet significant discrepancies come into play.

Despite all that, however, SCV’s enhanced netcode does allow for a nontrivial degree of reaction-based play, and tactics that are effective offline will generally work online as well. This becomes truer for semi-local matches. While I’ve had cross-country connections that would characterize as pretty damn good, I’ve had matches with people in my part of Norcal that are positively phenomenal. Whether almost-as-good-as-offline or just unexpectedly good, given the circumstances, almost any match that isn’t absolutely crippled by lag spikes and disconnects can serve as a useful training tool because the fundamental psychological elements of SCV play now remain largely intact when translated into the online realm. This becomes even truer when players enter into a gentlemen’s agreement of sorts, endeavoring to play in a manner that stays as true as possible to the sort of offline play seen in tournaments.

Fisticuffs.jpg
Neither Pyrrha nor Pyrrha Omega (above) will be spamming out 1A in this match!
Even when that isn’t the case—against someone hell-bent on laming you out with moves and setups of dubious offline legitimacy, let’s say—simply playing online in all sorts of matches definitely increases the number of characters and strategies to which you are exposed. This can be hugely beneficial to players whose regions lack representatives for popular characters. For example, it’s prohibitively unlikely that anyone will be winning a major tournament without going through at least a few Pyrrhas, Pyrrha Omegas, and Natsus, but what if nobody in your local scene plays those characters? SCV’s improved netcode allows us to seek out those characters online and actually begin getting a rudimentary sense of what their moves look like, what their general playstyle might be, and how to counter those things. While imperfect, it’s a hell of a lot better than going in totally blind, and we would be fools not to make use of that.

The Pitfalls

So we’ve established that online SCV is comparatively amazing. What’s more, the gruesomely terrible online play we had in SCIV was still enough to give rise to mutant freaks like Woahhzz. Taken together, then, shouldn’t this new online play just be taken as perfectly legitimate?

tumblr_ljehglndnh1qhzzwf.gif
Of course not.

SCV online is incredibly useful for the reasons I’ve outlined above, and it’s enjoyable, too, to the point that I find myself playing quite a bit of it without ever getting so angry that I want to murder whoever thought it’d be a good idea to run games that require 1/60th of a second timing over a DSL connection that was already behind the curve in 1998. Despite that, there’s still a level of engagement and complexity that only instantaneous offline play can really provide. Just as importantly, though, there are certain elements already rising within the “online SCV culture” that we should guard against, lest they drastically interfere with our ability to become better players.

Of those elements, perhaps the most prominent comes from the game’s benignly cruel insistence on keeping track of all one’s wins and losses. While this is useful information to have, in a sense, it’s also somewhat dangerous in that it confers a significance to what should essentially be casual matches that frankly isn’t deserved. Hell, I catch myself getting entirely too worked up about these things from time to time, too. Just recently I played a ranked match against a player whose connection began fluctuating wildly from five bars to one, and back again. This shifting, pausing, stopping, and starting nearly destroyed my fragile little mind, and in the end I lost to silly stuff, dropping my overall win ratio to 93%. I was livid for almost three seconds, which was an eternity, given the circumstances, but that’s the sort of wildly irrational response that this level of stat-tracking elicits.

charts-and-graphs.jpg
Numbers never lie.
If any of us, myself most certainly included, make the mistake of lending too much credence to these sorts of numbers, we run the quite real risk of failing to push ourselves. If every win and loss is tracked forever, then every win and loss somehow matters, effectively erasing the concept of casual play. Unfortunately, casual play is absolutely essential to improvement. Without a no-stakes environment, it’s impossible to test out new characters, try new things, and so on, all of which is the key to getting the most out of online play. The only solution to this is to really embrace the notion that online play, while certainly good enough to help us improve, remains subordinate to offline play. Also, and more importantly, all online play is by definition casual play. This mindset is necessary in order to avoid both picking up online habits that will get you killed offline, and also as a general means to learn and improve.

Taking Your Beatings

As frustrating as it is to lose, particularly when the game remembers every mistake you make for the rest of eternity, losing remains the single most effective way to become a better player, and this is true both online and offline. In fact, the best potential upside of SCV’s online play is that it affords everyone the opportunity to go out and lose to new people and new characters in varied and intriguing ways.

During the first couple of months of both SCIII and SCIV, for example, I was beaten mercilessly, often by people who I was used to dispatching with relative ease. That’s simply the nature of the beast; a new game means an extended period of learning and adjustment. Luckily for us, however, we finally have a game wherein the online component is solid enough to allow us to take meaningful losses, reflect on them, and ultimately get mo’ better, mo’ faster. By keeping the relative value of online play in perspective and remaining steadfastly unafraid to get totally shined up on occasion, all of us can speed up the learning process and have a great deal of fun in the process.

Homework:

Tell me about your online experiences thus far. Are you finding it as potentially beneficial as I am, or is it already devolving into a cesspool of lag tactics and other garbage? What are the pros and cons?
Also, find some faux pro online and send him to 8wr. I’ve managed to get a few people against whom I’ve fought to come check out the community here—online play is an excellent way to add new blood to our community.

Finally, grab me on psn and help me wring all traces of respectability out of my win/loss record: bh8ffs

@Original_Hater

I'm still iffy on the netcode, actually. There's many pros and cons, but currently my situation would land me wanting to have SCIV's netcode back (for me at least).

On my end, I have a more-than-terrible connection (I admit), and while SCIV would let me battle online with anyone else ranging from 1-5 bars (with lag every now and then), SCV's netcode is great enough for me to have a near flawless battle with anyone above 2 bars...yet bad enough that I can't even make it past the "Battle #...Fight!" when fighting anyone less than 3 bars.

It's a dream come true, except when all the people you find online have slightly better, yet still mediocre connections. Surely and hopefuly I'm not the only one having one to two successful fights out of twenty.

I know not to take online stats too seriously. You can find button mashers on Street Fighter with 10,000+ BP.

I'm in the lower echelons of the ranks, so I'm facing people who seem to not know that Soul Calibur is a 3D game. Walking around my opponents works wonders.

I didn't get much time to play online due to non-gaming stuff, but from what I'v played that isn't a stop-go lag mess, it helps quiet a bit. For the life of me I could not react to Pyrrha's 1A animation when I first got the game, and because of the large amount of Pyrrha scrubs online, I can actually can block it pretty well now, even under 4 bars.

4-5 bars in general helped me react to throws much better too... so many SC4 online "vets" in rank seems to mash throw like no tomorrow, and now that the lag is not as noticeable, it's pretty good practice.

Sadly, besides Norcal peeps, I have yet to actually play anybody that actually "knows how to play soul calibur" online yet, so practicing vs unfamiliar matchups in that regard hasn't been going so well besides the masher occasionally doing new strings by accident.

Moves that used to be clear-cut lag tactic lows in SCIV are now manageable in SCV online. In many cases, slow low sweeps do have their place in beating quick step, especially quickstep into a TC move.

There's still some nonsense to be encountered, though. CaS characters can be utterly ridiculous. When I joined a "tournament" in the Global Colloseo, some jackass was using Voldo with some kinda bongo-drum cage around him. This obscured what he was doing a great degree.

Fortunately, I am godlike and can break throws with only the yellow flash as an indication, and the silhouettes of the weapon flashes were enough to block and defend against some of his stuff on reaction. It was incredibly obnoxious to me since at the time I thought the "tournament" (which is actually just a series of ranked matches) could be taken seriously, but of course I pulled through :)

Fortunately, I am godlike and can break throws with only the yellow flash as an indication, and the silhouettes of the weapon flashes were enough to block and defend against some of his stuff on reaction. It was incredibly obnoxious to me since at the time I thought the "tournament" (which is actually just a series of ranked matches) could be taken seriously, but of course I pulled through :)

I beat that guy in ranked; his name is tcjunior18.

I found that the best players are in Player Match, sometimes in Global Colosseo. You're better off friending players here at 8wr and then setting up matches with them. Otherwise you'll just face people still learning the game back to back to back.

I love the netcode, but it is indeed far from perfect. I realize now that they just slow down the game a tad if the connection isn't as good. Which is still okay, because it still allows you to block all the lag 1As that used to wreak havoc in SCIV online.

What I'm doing now is playing Xiba, and playing a spacing/evading game, which is mostly to try and encourage the new players to do the same, since most people learning the game have the mentality of charging everytime. I'm afraid that it might come off as annoying though.

Online experiences so far... I have to say, I was freaking clueless when it came to Viola. It like literally have someone set a wooden blocks and having them ask you to make something like this only using a pair of tweezers...
3029652_1.jpg

So, deciding to go to the drawing board... having Natsu as a Sub until i properly learned Viola in a sense that i can take advantage of. I ended up facing people later during the week like "namcoCEO" (If you ever fight this person just punish them) Who are still learning the game, and people who use bitchy tactics. Including the overusage of some certain characters. (Yes... I'm looking at you siegfried.)
%5Banimepaper.net%5Dpicture-standard-anime-soul-calibur-sc4-siegfried-102479-luckytintinnz-medium-796017ea.jpg

"You...Could never understand." (Of course... i wouldn't.)

Some things I consider helpful is the connection, However like you said Hates its not technically SCv unless you play it offline. Online has helped me get better what i should or shouldnt do, teaching me about characters or just beating the piss outta me to see what flaws i have, thanks to some players like, N3ver3nding68, Darksch1sm, BelovedChild (and ugh i hate to say it...LuffyDuff)
Sad part is... I can't see myself going to a tournament in my life without getting embarassed.

Sad part is... I can't see myself going to a tournament in my life without getting embarassed.

If that's the case, then you're looking at it the wrong way. Playing poorly at your first tournament isn't gonna cause you to be ridiculed, it'll probably garner you more encouragement and tutelage than anything. Very rarely does someone go to a tournament for the first time and give a really good showing. While there have been more exceptions lately with online play improving, overall the results are what you'd expect from first timers.

Hopefully you'll be able to give an event near you a try, it's a great chance to meet some cool people that share your love for Calibur.

Everybody gets owned up at their first tournamentS Yue. The sooner you come to terms with that, and the fact that we've all been there, the more fun you will have. If this is enough to deter you from coming to events like winterbrawl, you fuckin' up man.

I find it funny that Hates has a paragraph called "Take your beatings" when i could easily recall a few weeks ago when he lost to jax c:. But enough about that, on to answer the question.

The funny thing is: my first match never happened. I picked Ezio, and the guy ends up either quitting, or his system just turned off. After that I tried again and was blown away at how responsive the online play was.

In 4, I felt the online was so lopsided that it was un-fun. In contrast, SCV did something I thought would not happen, fair online play. The connections are solid and the matches I have had were fun. When I lost, I felt it was my fault, and that is exactly the kind of feeling all games in general should strive for when playing them.

Example: a particular Asta player I played a while ago brutally killed me in our first go about. When I got to him a second time, he put up as much of a fight as I had. We were literally neck and neck with 2 round won on each side and siting on 2 bars. We had close to no life left when I was able to beat him/her and it was one of the most exciting feelings I have had with this game yet.

Another player worth mentioning is someone who I have tied with as far as victories and losses go (Vincent, you and me buddy boy!). Vincent and I have gone at it a few times with equal wins and losses and I feel that this person and I will have quite a few matches in the months to come. This game has now delivered a sort of blade brother feeling that I would have also not expected.

At the end of the day, nothing will be like offline experiences, that goes without saying. However, the online aspects are not only good, they are down right impressive, and I am glad that project soul was able to make that shine. Offline modes aside, the game as a whole is worth my purchase and it has proven it's worth as a lasting game to me.

Sadly since most people in my country dont have SC5 yet, I havent been able to fully test 5 bar games. The little i was able to play seemed wonderfull! JFs, Breaking throws and blocking lows where pretty decent. JG is suicide tho =P

I started hanging out on the NY colloseo and got into a few 3 bar matches and it went ok, nothing really good but still was kinda ok.

I also fought that voldo guy inside the sphere of drums lol, after lossing the first round, i did all i could to break his gear at the end of the next round, after that it wasnt much of a problem to see what he was doing lol.

I find it funny that Hates has a paragraph called "Take your beatings" when i could easily recall a few weeks ago when he lost to jax c:.

That's actually a great example! I played it up like I normally do, but honestly it was a valuable learning experience.

If you go back an watch it, I did great when we both played somewhat conventionally, but the Jaxel figured out that I had no real experience against Xiba's counter-CE, and he worked it to great effect. The extreme reversal of fortune there sticks in my memory to the point that now I damn well know what Xiba can counter, and if I face a Xiba player in a real tournament I will be far more prepared. You can intellectually know something like that exists, but I really feel that until you're burned for it, you don't have the motivation to develop sound counter-strategies. It's important to expose ourselves to as much of that kind of stuff as possible in order to learn and inoculate ourselves against gimmicks.

I don't planning on buying xbl gold, not yet. Cuz thanks to my crowded family, we can make tournaments, bend rules for more fun, example;

We make a 5 rounds mach, than we make two teams with two players. Both teams must choose character to use cooperatively, so we take our pick carefuly. Than the game starts, at the end of all rounds, players change seats. It's a lot of fun! Oh man that was hard to explain,
sorry for my bad English.

Well, I have to admit that I had no idea that the concept of lag tactics were still an issue with the new SCV online (because I suck). That was my first concern from even looking at the online; but, I decided because no one complained or seemed to have a hard time reacting when I got predictable, I would just play the way that I would play normally without the verbal lashing of "You're lagging, scrub!".
Hopefully, I didn't shine too many people off with whatever I do, but then again, that's why we verbally castrate each other for lag tactics.

:sc5sig1: "Like... like I do?"

Yeah, shut up, Siegfried. I'm still pissed at you for being E-tier, now give me your sword while I put on eyeliner and go My Chemical Romance on myself. (Or whatever musically inept "emo" bands are out there.)

From what I've BEEN getting from online is actually better than worse... (taking into account that I suck) getting quite a bit of encouragement versus "OMG LAG!" so that helps, too. I do notice, though, that there are tough spots at times, but I try to keep it clean when I see the other guy isn't reacting as well as I think he should be, or when I'm making dipshit decisions that a retarded monkey can out maneuver.

Nothing can top getting whooped (and taught) offline, and hopefully i can get to that ASAP, but for the moment, I will use my scantily clad Siegfried and read the hate mail... Good times!

Speaking of which, my fellow Norcal friendo, Hates! I will def hit you up on PSN. Be rough to Slavefried... He's into that kind of thing!

I haven't played much online to give a definite answer about the lag but from what I have seen this game online is the same as its 2d brothers. As for the stat tracking I agree I used to quit playing blazeblue for the day if I got more then 3 losses in a row and I would rage for a good 10 minutes. I think some stats actually cause players to spend less time playing. The win counter is ok but why have a loss counter. If a player is mouthing off that he is awesome because he has over 1k wins and then someone joins the room with only 7 and whipes the floor with him isn't it obvious who the best player is? I agree with the OP online play should be treated as training each match there should be something taken away and used in the next one. All a loss counter does is provoke rage. Great read btw.

Live streams

18 Viewers
noxdeanoctis
noxdeanoctis
Good morning for some SC!
2 Viewers
AdamCrowGaming
AdamCrowGaming
SoulCalibur VI Two-Face Mode Part 6: Rolling For Sidequests!!!
1 Viewers
PersonaXP
PersonaXP
Just gaming and vibing | SoulCaliber Vi | Beauty of battle
1 Viewers
SC_Shadow78
SC_Shadow78
Messing around on rank/casual

This week's events

SoulCalibur VI EVO Japan side event
Ariake GYM-EX, Tokyo (Tokyo Big Site)
3-chōme-11-1 Ariake, Koto City, Tokyo 135-0063, Japan