Hello, everyone! I'm pross2000 and I seriously want to get good at Soul Calibur.

pross2000

[08] Mercenary
Hello, everyone at 8WayRun!

I suppose the best way to introduce myself is to begin on my gaming history as it pertains to fighting games and Soul Calibur.

Sometime in mid-2014 I began to develop a strong interest in fighting games. After spending several months watching tournament and gameplay videos of popular fighting games like Street Fighter 4, King of Fighters 13, Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Persona 4 Arena Ultimax and many more (and after trying my hand out at playing many of these games), I finally came to the conclusion that the one game I found to be the most fun and wanted to get serious with was Soul Calibur.

Why Soul Calibur? Many reasons. I've always liked swordplay. Ever since I was a little kid, I've always enjoyed RPGs like Final Fantasy and Chrono Trigger. I've also had a strong affection for melee-combat-heavy action games like Monster Hunter, Devil May Cry, Ys and Dark Souls. The fact that these hand-to-hand weapons are central to Soul Calibur's combat is a big draw for me.

I also find the gameplay to be a perfect mix between offense and defense. It also is fast enough to keep me on my toes while at the same time keeping the action simple and legible. On that note, I'm not a fan of games like Ultimate Marvel versus Capcom 3 or Skullgirls where so many things happen on screen that you can barely tell what's going on. I like seeing my character and my opponent's character doing their moves. I don't want three or four characters on screen throwing a hundred fireballs and punches.

Anyway, I can go on forever about all of this. I'm just glad to get into Soul Calibur. Unfortunately, I live in a developing country with godawful Internet speeds (think 1.8 Mb/s download rates and 52ms of ping). So I don't think I'll be able to play with any of you.

Still, I hope to be able to contribute to this forum the best. I want to learn everything there is to learn about Soul Calibur. But first thing's first, though: I gotta learn those basic notations and terminology!

Looking forward to spending many great posts and growing with you all!

Welcome! Be sure to check around the forums for help and look at the Soul Areans (character sub forums) for any question you have about you character

Hello and welcome to 8wayrun. Enjoy your stay.

If you're unsure of where to start, I have a thread that I wrote myself, and it might interest you. When training, it is best to find one character you enjoy the most and become good with them, then eventually branch out to others if you wish. Most tournament-level players stick with just one.

http://8wayrun.com/threads/scv-choosing-a-character.18136/

After that, I would suggest turning to the basics of Soulcalibur. If you master the basics, you master the game.

http://8wayrun.com/threads/the-basics-of-soulcalibur.15258/

Then I would learn in this order...
- Play the game and get a feel for how it works.
- Learn your speed and your range with your chosen character.
- Learn your characters combos. You can find them all by clicking on their pictures in these forums. Some are already available in-game.
- Learn frame data to see which of your moves are most effective.
- Play some more.

No matter how hard you train, fighting games work like this: The more you play, the better you get. You will learn faster by seeing your mistakes and learning how to correct them. Don't forget to take breaks. Youll overload if you push yourself too hard.

If you have any gaming friends, encourage them to play this game. You can learn from each other. Also seek out people in your area that play as well.

Lastly, if you have any questions, message me and I should be able to point you in the right direction.

Back