HELP!: Is there a way to transfer my CaS to a new PS3 and new Account?

Rikki_TikkiTavi

[08] Mercenary
Hi friends! I am leaving the BF and so these situations must happen from time to time where someone gets a new account and a new PS3 or both in my case...
I already made my new account and activated it....
But first off I don't know if I should go to the trouble of transferring my creations if when I get a new PS3 they'll be gone or are they saved under the actual account? I know the packs I bought (which I bought all of them) I think those will come back...If I have to recreate them and that's the bottom line should I also just wait to do that on the new PS3?

But my main question is- can I get my creations in their entirety transferred from his account and his PS3,...to my new account and new PS3?

If you have PS Plus (and maybe regular PSN members get it too; I dunno), your saves will get backed up to the cloud every night. Your CaSes are tied to your save data. So when your save data gets restored, your CaSes will come with it.

Maybe, try and copy from XMB to a hard drive
Unless its protected or something(like some other games savefiles are) he *should* be able to just copy his SC file to a USB drive and transfer it over.

you might have to make sure your profile name is the same on your new PS3 however. and keep in mind you will probably lose any CAS you have that use DLC unless you re-download and install it all before restarting your game.

if you want i can test things out before you try - i've got a couple of PS3's lying around that i can use to check stuff for you.

Unless its protected or something(like some other games savefiles are) he *should* be able to just copy his SC file to a USB drive and transfer it over.

you might have to make sure your profile name is the same on your new PS3 however. and keep in mind you will probably lose any CAS you have that use DLC unless you re-download and install it all before restarting your game.

if you want i can test things out before you try - i've got a couple of PS3's lying around that i can use to check stuff for you.

I would really appreciate that! I saved the data from my new account onto a thumb drive but I have not bought a new ps3 yet so I don't know how well it's going to work out.
Thank you!!!

You can, if you ensure same names, like SLayer said.
If that isn't possible, you can use a save editor to format your old save to your account.
So yes, it's entirely possible

Okay so only if I keep the same account name? Which I already got a new account name soooo, we'll see!

I would really appreciate that! I saved the data from my new account onto a thumb drive but I have not bought a new ps3 yet so I don't know how well it's going to work out.
Thank you!!!
alright i'll give it a shot for you. i'll report back when i have my results.

oh derp i completely forgot about this. i'll walk downstairs now and give it a test, and i'll edit this post when im done.

EDIT#1:
ok so from what i can tell, you can copy saved data locally between PS3 accounts(local system accounts) as much as you want, although depending on the game and its features, some games may not work if the account uses a different PSN(or at least thats what the thing told me when i tried to overwrite my own skyrim data with somebody elses data - although it didnt seem to complain on my alternate PSN which had no saved data at all)

using the same PSN and a different local account name i was able to just jump right in once i put the game in(updates were already downloaded on that console as i had done that before - you would probably have to re-download them.) so it doesnt seem to matter what account name you use.

also keep in mind that if your game has any online features at all, if you are not using the same PSN, those will probably be reset, so for example if you play call of duty, you'll get to keep your single player progress and what not, but you will lose all of your multiplayer rank progress and unlocks. and you probably will lose access to all your DLC and downloaded games as well.

so because i only play skyrim on xbox now anyways, i'll boot up skyrim and tell you how it works on my alt, on my main account, and on some brand new local account i just made which doesnt even have a PSN yet.

EDIT#2:
ok so on my alt account it let me load up the game, but saving and trophies were disabled. im assuming it will be exactly the same on my main account. but i will check on the brand new account i have made. make a note that this was done with their latest autosave so that might have something to do with it. i'll check with a real save.

EDIT#3:
ok so it doesnt seem to matter with a real save either, saving is locked and trophies are disabled. i also ran into the same situation on my brand new account which has no PSN at all. i've also run into this problem just copying files locally between accounts.

You should know however, that not all games seem dependant on this - for example in all cases i was able to load up my save of hot shots golf out of bounds with no complaints or restrictions. so it seems to depend on the game. some games will load, play and save, others will disable trophies, others will disable saving, others will disable both, and some simply wont load the save file at all. also for some games(like the original SFIV i believe) the save file will be locked to that particular console, so there is no way of copying it.

So in the end, some games you can play with a different PSN, but in most cases it is best to have the same PSN because then you can play absolutely everything(except for the rare case where a game is locked to a console, which is pretty much never). it doesnt matter if you're on a different PS3 with a different local account name, so long as you are on the same PSN.

also note that if you have a downloaded game that you download onto a console using your PSN, it seems everybody else on that console can play it including you, without having to buy the game again. just keep in mind that i believe you only get X number of downloads on these things, before you have to buy the content again.

ok i'm done for now. if i think of anything else, i'll post it. Dont you miss the good old days where you could just take a memory card to your new console and transfer data that way? i dont see the point of locking save data.

Back