Help with A:g:a?

kingbastek

[08] Mercenary
I usually do this move by setting the L2 button on my ps3 controller as A+G and just doing the two inputs. Ive barely started dabbling with Nightmare and I have never done the just frame version of this move. My question is: is it possible to do the just frame version with L2 set as A+G? Or do I have to input the three buttons seperately? Also, can someone maybe explain the easiest way to learn the timing for the just frame version?? Thanks in advance.

If you're talking about the fastest input version, as well (it's Siegfried's a:G:A but again what is said in there applies to Nightmare for the most part).

If you're talking about the slowest input version, you can do it as a:A+G, just make sure to get the timing right.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the links microgamer! Wow I didnt know you had only three frames to do it. How consistently do you think an expert Nightmare player can pull this off? Also, is learning the just frame version essential for high level play? (Not that Im thinking of playing in a tournament or anything, but I'm just curious)

The a:G+A version is easier to do because it is really about doing the input as late as possibe. a:G:A is harder because it is only those three frames. By the way, does anyone else think a:G:A is a lot easier to do after blocking?

Tiamat: no problem :) I like talking NM and stuff so I jump at opportunities to do so haha

kingbastek: At least from the videos I've seen, not all of the Nightmare players can get it completely consistent in match play (besides the Nightmare players in Hong Kong...looks like they got it down). For me it's just a matter of getting in rhythm or getting into the groove; at times like that I can get it about 80% of the time; other times I'll just become really sloppy and not get it at all. It's a matter of practice and muscle memory.

The JF versions of this move aren't absolutely essential to be at 'tournament level' with Nightmare, meaning you can still win against good opponents without it, but it definitely helps A LOT. It's super fast (i15), has range, and you get +2 frames on block, not to mention it has a great knockdown (1[A] becomes really hard to react to after a:G:A hits). So if you can maintain spacing by stepping, moving in and out of range, and threatening to throw out a:G:A at any given moment, you'll be in an awesome position to pressure your opponent and you can begin to open him/her up to NM's other moves.

i got a 8 buttons stick:
1 - 2 - 3 - 4
5 - 6 - 7 - 8

5: G, 1: A, 2: B, 3: K

i still have 6,7 and 8 free
lets configure 6:A, 7:G and 8:A
Just do a slide and u got an easy a:G:a (95% success)

Incredible tool for applying pressure and spacing.
But u cant buffer a:G:a so its still not easy to use as a punition.

I would like to point out that iagA can be done from blockstun or other buffer with the a:G+A for anyone who has forgotten.

If you look at 13 seconds in, I do an iagA buffered from a normal agA. I used a:G+A fast input, and I've done tests to confirm that this is in fact the fast one not the slow one (+2 on block). however it seems you cannot do the a:G+A shortcut for iaga unless it is from buffer. because of this, I can ONLY do iagA from buffer.

keep that in mind

R2 set to ABKG

I press two buttons A and R2 never get the JF.
People might wonder how I do agA so easily and consistently...two buttons son.

To get !agA I press a:G L2(A+B) 3 buttons. You can get the JF without the buffer.

During
NSS B + L2(A+B) easily get bA even the JF.

fastest input version is i15 and +2 on block (maybe +4 on far block?), slowest input version feels to be around i20 and gives +8~10 on block. They both give similar knockdown to the front and right.

Edit: finally I found a way for me to do it reliably with one hand on a stick. I use the default stick layout, and slide my index finger from A down to G, and then use my ring finger to hit A again. Very reliable results for me, getting it about 70% of the time during a match now, and it'll only get more consistent.

For me, I sorta applied music logic into getting i-agA down. I timed the inputs like they were eighth notes in 4/4 time. I can pull it off without mapping shoulder buttons, but I understand that it's so much easier to do.

For me, I sorta applied music logic into getting i-agA down. I timed the inputs like they were eighth notes in 4/4 time. I can pull it off without mapping shoulder buttons, but I understand that it's so much easier to do.

I don't get it. Wouldn't the tempo matter ? Ie 3/8 notes in 4/4 time set so that there is 60 1/8th notes per second ?

.. 8th notes in 4/4 time is slow. I hope you know that. Sorry to be an ass, but I'm a percussion major. You'd literally have to be at 425-450 BPM to do iagA. It's done on a stick by mapping

A B K
G G A

and sliding your index finger from A to G to A.

WuHT: 3/8 and 4/4 are both time signatures. It doesn't change how many beats there are per second, it basically tells you how many beats are in the measure and what has one beat.

I.E. 4/4 : 4 beats per measure, quarter note gets one beat.
3/8: 3 beats per measure, 8th note gets one beat. 3/8 is often conducted in 1, rather then in 3 since its fast.

I don't consider you an ass at all Botsu. I said 'sorta' when I mentioned music. But hey, I'll take your word for it. All I know is that for me, pulling i-agA is done with inputs done in some rhythm.

SLiK: I'm glad you understand :D

eltoshan: I don't see why you would do it "the legit way" if you can only do it 50% of the time "the legit way". When I can execute it 100% on a stick. Why risk the wall splat on being "legit"? Button mapping is legal, therefore legit. Do it whatever way you can get it out most consistently IMO.

how said I'm only 50% on a stick? Pft. The whole point of the stick is that you don't have to map buttons, which is a feature for pads because of their limitations. BTW not that I doubt you, I'm pretty close to 100% iagA myself, but I'd like to see this 100% execution.

Edit: another point to make about this move's execution, if you bind an extra A button onto a stick, and choose to use the piano method, you have to make sure that the first A is released before G is pressed.

I use a slide method. So I slide this way.

A B K
\
G G - A

I played Sieg before NM, so I've been able to get it out for a long time.

Back