how do you even practice matchups by yourselves?

MuffinMan123

[10] Knight
using practice mode to record each moves 1 by 1 takes forever, and you also have to know character move inputs you are not familiar with. for people who have partner to practice with it's easy, but for internet warriors this is a lot of chore especially when I live in a city with no scene for a particular game.

Find out what´s unsafe and how to punish it so you don´t let people get away with a lot of stupid shit. Aside from that just find people who are good with the character and keep fighting them.

my point is that even if you read the materials, if you don't have the muscle memories set in, you only got half the work done. you have to go through the process in order to replicate the results. when I am the player, my mind isn't thinking the way as when I am the spectator.

Practice common situations of the matchup using the record feature in training mode. See where and what you can step after certain moves, try other responses to common scenarios. Test to see exactly how far the opponent's moves reach so you know how to play the neutral game, which includes knowing where you can step safely, where you can backstep safely, and at what ranges where you can move to bait out whiffs. Practice reasonable whiff punishes for those whiffs. Then, see what your options are once that kind of play forces them to overextend to stop your movement, thinking about intercepting with safe CH moves, keepaway pokes, or grabs for if they run up and G. Think about what your own character's optimal ranges are and how these strategies will involve keeping them there. There are only a few moves for each character in the neutral game, trace out all their ranges in the same time in your head to see where they are and aren't effective, and do the same for your character.

There is so much minutia to this game and practice mode helps a great deal.

For instance BBB has recently fallen in love with pat 2b. I have gone in to practice mode and found out that....

1. It can be stepped clean to the left but will sometimes track a right step.

2. At -4 or better I can step and punish with a bomb for free.

3. If I am stepping at -6 (many of natsu common pokes) bomb can be blocked so I settle for 3b or 66b.

These are the finer details which make practice mode so invaluable.

I've also found various ch 3a backthrow/mid scenarios through practice mode.

Considering how much better the AI is now than before (still not good enough), I'm hopeful that in ten years they will have an AI that no human can beat.

They should call it.... Rage Quit Mode

Considering how much better the AI is now than before (still not good enough), I'm hopeful that in ten years they will have an AI that no human can beat.

They should call it.... Rage Quit Mode
I would absolutely love this. Legendary Souls is the best they have, but it has flaws.

Back