How does Soulcalibur VI compare to V (and other previous entries) in terms of gameplay?

MOSTLY PLAYS OUT LIKE SC5 BUT WITH REVERSAL EDGE AND ALTERED THROW SYSTEM.

SC6 HAVING -15 BACK STEP MEANS YOU SIMPLY CANNOT SPACE AROUND SAFELY LIKE IN CLASSIC CALIBUR GAMES. SIDE RUN ATTACKS FIRST REQUIRE SIDESTEP LIKE IN SC5, AND THE FRAME DATA IN GENERAL IS MORE AKIN TO SC5. THERE'S ALSO THE FREE BAR OF METER YOU GET WHEN YOU'RE DOWN TO THE LAST ROUND, GUARD IMPACT STILL HITS HIGH/MID/LOW, CRITICAL EDGE RETURNS, AND GUARD BURST INTO FREE COMBO RETURNS. SC5 SEEMS TO BE THE MAIN INFLUENCE FOR SC6'S DESIGN.

SC6 HAVING -15 BACK STEP MEANS YOU SIMPLY CANNOT SPACE AROUND SAFELY LIKE IN CLASSIC CALIBUR GAMES.

Then why has SC6 been advertised as having SC2 movement? Also I'm curious as to what the frame data is on movement in each individual game.

Then why has SC6 been advertised as having SC2 movement? Also I'm curious as to what the frame data is on movement in each individual game.
WHOEVER STATED THAT WAY WAS EXAGGERATING HARD. IT ANNOYED ME TOO BECAUSE IT WAS CLEARLY FALSE ADVERTISING.

BACK STEP IS -20 IN SC5. IN SC2 IT IS -1 DUE TO STEP GUARD. EDIT: SC4 BACK STEP IS SAFE AND SC4 SIDESTEP IS ABOUT -12.

Last edited:
It's better by a long shot than v imo. More moves more options and everyone got buffs. Not to mention returning souls who were missed from v. It's the best game except for 2 imo.

WHOEVER STATED THAT WAY WAS EXAGGERATING HARD. IT ANNOYED ME TOO BECAUSE IT WAS CLEARLY FALSE ADVERTISING.

That was Okubo at the Playstation Experience (7 minute mark) though he does state that the development team only took some elements from SC2.

Okubo said:
Soul Calibur is definitely going to very familiar for those who have played and experienced the franchise in the past. And going into a little more depth, what we wanted to recreate was some of that fast responsiveness that you would see in SC2, as well as what we believed is kind of the completed form of balance in character interactions and mechanics that you saw in SC5. So kind of merging those two into a single experience.

BACK STEP IS -20 IN SC5. IN SC2 IT IS -1 DUE TO STEP GUARD. WITH SC4 I'M NOT SURE, ABOUT -13.

I was kinda hoping you would know them all from SC1 to SC6 and the official SC2 backstep rather than that glitch.

I was kinda hoping you would know them all from SC1 to SC6 and the official SC2 backstep rather than that glitch.
BACK STEP AND SIDESTEP HAVE DIFFERENT FRAMES, DEPENDING ON THE GAME. SC2 STEP-GUARD ISN'T NECESSARILY A GLITCH.

IN BROKEN DESTINY, FOR EXAMPLE, IT APPEARS THAT BACK STEP IS COMPLETELY SAFE AGAINST TAKI A (10 FRAME ATTACK) WHEN BOTH PLAYERS ARE AT 0 FRAMES, BUT SIDESTEP IS -12. IN SC5, BOTH SIDESTEP AND BACK STEP ARE -20. IN SC6, SIDESTEP IS -12 AND BACK STEP IS -15. IN SC1-3, SIDESTEP AND BACK STEP ARE COMPLETELY SAFE AGAINST TAKI A.

BASICALLY, BACK STEP ONLY STARTED BECOMING UNSAFE IN SC5 AND SC6.

Last edited:
I wonder why Project Soul want stepping to be unsafe? I'm starting to see why tournament players get frustrated with each game. It's like the developers change shit for the sake of it, give new tools for you to use but take away others that are not even broken.

I wonder why Project Soul want stepping to be unsafe? I'm starting to see why tournament players get frustrated with each game. It's like the developers change shit for the sake of it, give new tools for you to use but take away others that are not even broken.

except for scV 1.02 bug, it Always been like that.
Consider that as soon as you can't be punished for stepping, all verticals becomes trivial…scV quickstepG bug proven that.
And said bug did harm the game a lot.

Even backstep caused lot of problems with Whole tournaments won by 1K and backstep.
Steps and backsteps needs to be risky since the reward for wiff punishing is huge.

Unsafe backstep and step are the best things in scVI actually.

Steps and backsteps needs to be risky since the reward for wiff punishing is huge.
IF WHIFF RECOVERY WERE FASTER, PEOPLE WITH FAST REACTIONS WILL STILL WHIFF PUNISH.

ONE DESIGN CHOICE THAT'S DIFFERENT DOES NOT MEAN THE GAME WILL FALL APART. AS LONG AS THE SYSTEM IS STABLE AND THE MOVE LISTS ARE BALANCED, ANY DIRECTION IN DESIGN CAN BE GOOD.

Back