How The HELL Do You Beat Tournament Mode!?

DualFace

[08] Mercenary
Hello people. I have a problem. It's with my copy of SCIII/PS2. Tournament Mode. I've had this game, what---
5 years now or something? (the day it came out) and I've recently come back to it over the last year or so
because I find it better than my copy of SCIV.

I been trying to complete Tournament Mode (which is to win 12 consecutively). For the life of me, I cannot. And
I been even being a bitch to the AI as much as possible, but I swear, as soon as I get to round 7 or 8, the AI will
escape every grab (aside from attack-throws/ATs), dodge all highs or GI, somehow manage to block all lows
even in the midst of being stunned.

I play Taki, I have 4 other characters that I'm just as ridiculously good with too, but I'm on the verge of
going insane. I need some other strategies or something (do I give up and use nothing but the boss character?)
WHAT!?

For the most part what I do when the AI decides to be a bitch with some character (usually Cervantes, Yoshimitsu, Cassandra, Xianghua) I will use Taki's Bomber Loop:
Guard stun - bomb - unblockable bomb - BA~A+K, B+G or sometimes after bomb, I'll use 426B (unblockable).

Yes, I know how to GI, and I do it often, yet like I was saying, after about rounds 7-8 the frikkin AI times
everything perfectly as mentioned above and none of my shenanigans work. Ringing out the AI becomes
almost even more impossible than my other shit as well. Right before coming to this site to ask for ideas/gripe,
I once took a round (barely) from the AI, but not before we were counter GI-ing each other for nearly 15
seconds straight. I'm out of ideas, and I want to beat this shit!

here is the secret to sc3. want to beat night terror with all perfects? want to kill the nasty sisters before colossus?
pick xianghua, spam a+k~b or b+k~b...i forget. that move where she does one spin toward them and then hits with that vertical mid out of stance. do it over and over and over and the AI will tech into it until they die.

happy hunting and welcome to the forums!

Play Talim and just B+K unblockable all day. The AI in SC3 is just the SC2 AI, so if a move is different than it was in SC2, the AI doesn't know how to handle it. The AI will eat Talim's B+K all day because it thinks its a guard crush, not an unblockable.

Okay so both of you are telling me that I need to use 2 characters I've experienced less potential compared to the
ones I'm already using: Taki, Nightmare, Cervantes, Yoshimitsu, and sometimes Setsuka, all because they both
have one particular move the AI has difficulty defending against?

I'm not completely stubborn but I have to tell you that I probably won't due to the fact that the extensive time I've
spent with the characters listed---they all have multiple moves that the AI has difficulty defending against (in fact
the AI actually hardly can defend against)---

example/Taki: B~Possession, B, Bomb. For some reason, no matter what, the AI doesn't block the bomb, and it's
mostly due to the guard stun of the vertical attack (B) after Possession. Yet, when I get to about the 7-8th
rounds, no matter what, and inexplicably, the AI manages to sidestep B after Possession WHILST it's been
guard stunned. That's ridiculous, but I also understand that's the specialty of the AI---being able to pull off
the ridiculous. I also use Taki for the most part because of her high ability for juggling. Cervantes/Yoshi for their
cheap ways of inserting unblockables in the middle of combos, ect.

So I need to ask you both, and anyone else who happens across this thread---Have. You. Beaten. This. Mode.
Yourselves? And with those characters?

Seriously, have you?

(if worse comes to worse, I'll actually try spamming one unblockable all day, but I'm really cringing at the thought
of suicide out of boredom from the idea, no offense---just to frikkin complete Tournament Mode, ugh)

okay im gonna be honest with you.
I know what you mean about moves that the AI doesnt know what to do about, and never blocks them. However, hes right, when you get really high in the tournament levels, the AI suddenly "figures" it all out and GI everything, ducks all throws, blocks all lows (or GI) , you get the idea. They just play super duper safe and poke you to death... its lame...

The farthest I've ever gotten was on tournament 12 (I'm not kidding you). I got to the very last guy, was kicking everyones ass, and suddenly, the very last guy (voldo) just creamed me to a new dimension. The computer got 3 perfects in a row on me after GI'ing every fcking move i threw at him.

Btw, I just used nightmare, spammed 4b, after they block the GB, your soul charged, then i just 22_88B for an unblockable. I couldn't do it everytime, but it worked 3/4 of the time.

You need to develop this style. It's something we low tier mofa's pick up in our struggles to compete. You want to catch the AI during a move, which means spacing and whiff punishing or interrupting.

The AI basically reads the move then reacts to it, for example if I press B+G and some how B comes out, it will get hit with the B because it ducked. The AI does this both in Tekken 6 and SC4. If you press Ag, and the A animation comes out at the right frames but is canceled, the AI will duck preemptively.

You have to catch it when it's attacking when it can't defend. Ag, Bg and Kg; these cancels fuck with the AI's reads. lol

Good luck sir. You're lucky the AI in practice mode is always the hardest one to beat. Once it reaches a point where it's JI every move you do, just give up.

I've never beaten this mode, mainly because it's BS. Like you said, the computer starts blocking every low move no matter how fast it is, GIs moves that are like 11 frames, and other BS that no human can pull off. It gets to the point that you really just have to find a cheap tactic and abuse it. Seriously, how fun is that? Do you really feel like you accomplished something after doing that? It's the reason why I don't care too much for the one player modes in the upcoming SC5, because of stuff like this. The only enjoyment I get out of this game is the one on one challenge with another human.

I enjoyed soul smash, nothing more rewarding than launching someone and having them bounce around the ring. And the bomb game was fun.

I beat it!!!! It's possible!
I did it with xianghua.. her A+K, B+K move is key. Usually that's all you need and you just use other moves for fun and stuff.. but around round 8-9 the computers start blocking it a little more consistently.. in that case try to immediately follow up with a backwards K kick after you guard break them with your ak~bk attack. The last few rounds the strategy wont be perfect but itll help immensely.. just attack when they're vulnerable. Surprisingly when i would accidentally soul charge from doing the move too fast i follow up with forward diagonal B+K cause that's an unblockable.. its effective cause the computers are hesitant to always attack first in the last rounds. A very good attack also is backwards diagonal A which they'll usually block.. but then follow up with a K so it counts as a K while rising it usually interrupts their attacks!
omg i was getting so nervous in the last two rounds because the computers would block the cheap attacks pretty darn consistently.. if i lost a match i think i wouldve broken the tv. they give no reward for beating it. all you get is that message. and you just cumulate around 3000000-3500000 gold for finishing all 12 rounds. ive been trying to do this forever with kilik but i would always die at round 6 7 8.. gud luk everyone!

Attachments

• Snapshot_20120710_2.JPG
    Snapshot_20120710_2.JPG
    182.2 KB · Views: 602
  • Snapshot_20120710_3.JPG
    Snapshot_20120710_3.JPG
    233.1 KB · Views: 738
  • Snapshot_20120710_5.JPG
    Snapshot_20120710_5.JPG
    158.4 KB · Views: 624
Back