How to be a good actor?

Plume

[09] Warrior
My problem is that I seem to make a lot of people quit these days, more than I ever did before. I'll admit, it's not a very important problem... But I'm still curious.
I'm starting to think that it might be because they think I'm a button masher. Or they don't like my surprises.
After all, Maxi is the best character for any retard who wants to be a button masher.

So I'd like to know, does anyone have any idea about what might make Maxi look like a button masher?
Or maybe, any advice to not look like a button masher?

Here, efficiency is prefered, but not required. Good looks are what matters.

To hopefully help anyone point the finger on the reason why I might look like one, I'll describe how I usually play.

I really like to mix B,B,BK and 4B,BK, an occasional 4B,K, or similar BB/4B stuff.
Then sometimes I place a WL A or WL BBA in there. They know it's one or the other, and they typically stand up, because BBA is the one that scares them the most.
Other than that, when I'm being pressured or I need to get a little closer, I usually manage to interrupt them / get closer with 6A, and I follow up with a few string choices, which are difficult to react to for most.

That's my bread and butter.

From time to time, I'm guilty of choosing an attack at random to vary my strings, but then after that random attack, I can remember what I usually follow it with, so I know exactly where to go from there.
Besides, the more I play, the less random it gets. So two-part attacks are usually finished. So it shouldn't be enough to make me look like a button masher.
I'd say that I know exactly what I'm doing 95% of the time.

After all that, I try (and so far, frequently succeed) to punish with 6A+B,B. But I don't use it too often, or else they'd get really sick of seeing that move.

That's about it... damn, it sounds so simple like that.
There's more to it, but in general, that's it.

People that lose to button mashing Maxi's suck, so anyone that bitches about you button mashing you can just ignore. Anyone thats even worth playing will quit bitching and just beat it.

I never got that complaint, it's just an impression that I get. Mostly because Maxi really has a reputation of being played by a lot of button mashers. (And some button mashers can be very hard to beat, depending on what you're playing...)

But I don't think we should attach much importance to this... I'm really interested in hearing some ideas for Maxi players to look less like button mashers. Maybe things that make the average people who don't know much about Maxi think "Wow, I guess he knows what he's doing."

...Saying that made me realize that I should probably start learning the JFs appropriately, now...

I've noticed that some people will call Maxi's button mashers no matter what. I'll spend an entire match locking down the opponent and perfecting them 3 times in a row, and i'll still get messages telling me to stop button mashing. Just get used to it.

It's just something you have to get used to when playing fighting games. The vast majority of people can't deal with playing a game that they're constantly losing. They don't care that the only way to improve is to get knocked around until you learn how to deal with whatever the opponent is doing.

At least this is only happening online to you. Back when SC was big in central PA, my roomie and I would have many people over to play SC2 once and then never again because they couldn't handle finding out that they weren't actually very good.

The only way to get around it is to find someone you ENJOY playing against (and who enjoys playing you) and friend them and play them more often.

Keep playing new people by all means, just don't get discouraged when you go days without finding anyone that wants serious matches.

Oh, and get a headset or microphone. At least then you can explain yourself to your opponent if they're pissy. Or if they're REALLY pissy, then you can act like you just started playing the game yesterday and you're using your brother's account :) Things such as "What does YOUR x button do? Mine doesn't do any attacks so I don't use it." are perfect for people you just plain don't like.

Things such as "What does YOUR x button do? Mine doesn't do any attacks so I don't use it." are perfect for people you just plain don't like.

Ohh, nice one. ;)

I do have a mic, but it's hard for me to understand what people say, sometimes. It's even harder for me to actually speak english and be understood, because where I live, we speak french.

But I'll attach less importance to it, because I realize that some people will indeed never be happy no matter what I play. The example that follows helped me understand this fact.

Today, I enter a room and take Maxi. I win twice and pick him again. I hear "Does he only play Maxi?" Which was followed by an answer that I couldn't understand.

I win again. This time I pick Setsuka to be like "I can play Setsuka too. Now be impressed and leave me alone."
But I fight the worse one out of the 3, and I accidentally ring him out 3 times in a row. Doh!
With great luck(?), I was able to understand all the trashtalking that followed.

Then I finally lost.

Nothing interesting happened afterwards, except that the lesser noob out of the 2 took Taki and fought against a competent Yoda.
He won 3 vs 2 thanks to the fact that in the final round, the Yoda player stood there blocking for at least 5 seconds, thinking he was winning, which resulted in a critical finish.
Amazement follows "...And it's so rare to critical finish Yoda!"

The two things that usually make me think "This player has no idea how to use Maxi" are:

1) Doing that one overdone uppercut string ender thing, you know, the one that's like -60 on block?
2) Not blocking. Ever.

The two things that usually make me think "This player has no idea how to use Maxi" are:

1) Doing that one overdone uppercut string ender thing, you know, the one that's like -60 on block?
If you make a custom character who looks like Ryu, then you have to do that move constantly. It's like a law.

i get the same feeling you do plume. what i TRY to do is:

1. Dont stand in the corner throwing moves out with no one around. If I see someone thats maxi and im no where near them and they are throwing out stupid moves. I know whats up, they dont knwo what they are doing.

2. I try not to be to flashy when i get the K.O. In other words I know about how many more hits its gonna take till i win the match. I try to not do anything extra so at the end of the match im standing there in my nuetral position just like when we started. I see a ton of people that when they get a K.O. they are still finishing up a string they started 10 hits ago. I like to be simple and sweet and not be flashy when i dont need to be. Even my character is simple and sweet with no frills or anything.

other than that you jsut have to expect it. Let it roll off and think nothing of it. You know rather you are a "button masher" or not. I still dont see why everyone says that maxi is a "button masher friendly" character. I cant seem to win if im doing that. I actually have to know somewhat what Im doing.
I to stick to simple strings and combos, at first to get a feel for my opponent. If i can beat them with the "easy" stuff then i will stick to that and not show them what maxi can really do. I like to hide it so they dont expect in the next round. But if im playing someone like uber (u bastard) i come at them with everything i got. Which might be why he kicks my ass so much.

If a Maxi is spamming 6_4K in the middle of nowhere, I have a hard time taking them seriously.

You can spot a Maxi masher if when:

-They mainly go into stance through AA or BB
-You sidestep them and they are still looping
-They only stop close range looping if they get hit

I dunno. Its not hard to know if youre playing a decent Maxi.

236A as soon as you knock down is one of may faves to use early on then not for ages cos people expect it.

heres a couple of things i seen get respect and people not call you masher. GI, sidesteps, delay combos (for instnace FC3A K [K] 3BB is a nice one i picked up from watching that uber good unlimited loop vid)

but i dont care for what people call me, i got used to it ages ago, it makes me smile inside.

there are 2 things i do to annoy people especailly if they call you a masher.
1) call the shots as you play. before you go low go "oh oh oh look out for the low..... oh it got you" then next time do it again but go "ohhhhh heres that low or is it a bluff" then go low. next time go high. i had people in knots with that lol
2)say things like "man that was cool" "wow how did i do that" etc and other spam/masher quotes

heres a couple of things i seen get respect and people not call you masher. GI, sidesteps, delay combos (for instnace FC3A K [K] 3BB is a nice one i picked up from watching that uber good unlimited loop vid)

Hi. I'm trying to pick up Maxi as my secondary. What "uber good unlimited loop vid" are you referencing? Linky link?

the first and foremost way to show you aren't a masher is to land sweet combos. Simple as that.

Use things like 33K for wall splats, 1B to interrupt, JF's like B+K:B:B:B:A & 6:B:B:B .. it's obvious that mashers and newbs aren't going to be using these properly.. if you mash with maxi all you get is canned combo strings that are unsafe and predictable.

If someone asshole can't tell the differance, than they are scrubs.

Agreed, although from time to time I do attempt a little B,B,B,B to see how they defend against it ;) I throw it out rarely, so I think something so noobtastic isn't expectable.

One thing that I don't like is that Maxi's normal K attack is useful, but you look like a buttonmasher whenever you throw it out.

... I'm not a Maxi player, but... does it even matter?

If someone calls you a masher, kick their ass.

If they still call you a masher, kick their ass again.

2+2=4. What's up?

The objective of the game isn't to care about what the other guy is thinking about you.
It's about kickin' his ass!

Now, ATL_R3DD, I know he ain't no Maxi masher, but he's still gonna kick my ass regardless.
I don't see the problem here.

If people keep leaving your matches, find people that aren't pansies.

you should hit me up plume, i always see you on but your either in training or in a full room already. we should compare maxi notes soon!!

Back