How to get better with Yoshimitsu?

GynormousFish

[09] Warrior
I just recently picked him up and have been practicing combos, strategies, mix ups and everything. When I went to go play my friend, I just get my ass handed to me and I know why. Well, it's simply because I suck. I try to use his mix up game but I end up getting into habits where I will try to use the same attacks after I block my opponents attacks and everything. My friend can read me like a book because of this, and I blame it on the fact that he is the only person I play with. I've played with a few random people on the internet, but you know how that goes. Mostly just lag and spammers, no way to improve from that. So I'm asking someone on here, when you have the time, send me an invite on XBL and please train me in the ways of Yoshimitsu. I'm not absolutely terrible, it's just I need to learn more about how to play with him rather than just learning his basic moves and a few combos. I can do pretty much everything except for iMCF. Plus, there are so many options on what to do with him that it's confusing to know when to attack with what. I would really appreciate it if someone would play with me and help me train to get better. Thanks!

1. Learn iMCF.

2. Spam iMCF.

3. You are now Sigel.

Just kidding (sort of).

The beauty of Yoshi is that no two players use him the same way, and you'll always see different setups and tactics from user to user. His moveset is really open for interpretation, so once you get the basics down (the moves he has from his stances, basic combos, iMCF, etc.), you can find a playstyle that suits you. The fastest way to get a foundation to build upon is to watch other Yoshi players. Not all of the things you see will be good, but you'll get exposed to a lot of different techniques and styles. With practice, you'll find what's best, what's bad, and what might be good for a surprise 'oh shit, what was that?' moment. Most important is that you're willing to stick with it, and are the kind of person that has a good time discovering things.

You're also welcomed to play with me (or the rest of the Yoshi crew, I'm sure) whenever you like. Just send me a mesg/friend request on Live, and we can get some games in. Until then, really take a look around the Yoshi forums, and get all you can out of it; there's a lot of great information here.

I am in the same boat you are in. However i think im a few weeks ahead of you. But sigel v2 is one of the yoshi masters, he will definetly help with your yoshi. He helped me quite a bit. At first you will be discouraged cause he will continuously beat the shit out of you, and you will lose over and over again. I didnt think I was learning anything till I went to go play my offline buddy and smoked his mitsurugi ass!! It was quite satisfying!! sigel is very very good with yoshi (and almost everyone else for that matter) he will definetly be of great help. Also seek out GodGator, another good yoshi player that will teach you some stuff.

Yoshi has the biggest move set in the game (i think) and to take only a handful of those and use them in your arsenal is a tough choice. Hence why sigel said that you will see a lot of different yoshi playstyles. He can be frustrating to learn and control but he has the best "wow factor" of all the characters.

LEARN IMCF....LEARN IMCF....LEARN IMCF....LEARN IMCF....LEARN EAR SLICER.....LEARN EAR SLICER!!

IMCF 2:aB....input it as fast as can. its hard at first but will come to you i promise
ear slicer a:B+K..my advice is to rig a shoulder button with B+K. this will help out with a lot of yoshi moves.

If you want you can send me a message and I can show you a few things. Keep in mind i am mediocre at best when it comes to yoshi. Maxi training, im your man, but yoshi I can show you the basics!!

Good Luck

LOL just practice bro. With Yoshi it's just a really deep learning curve. Memorize his entire movelist and get your basics down. Don't worry about iMCF or a:B+K right now, stick with 6K for enders until you're ready for the more advanced stuff.

Honorable mentions:

AA
BB
6B
33BB+K
6K Series
FC 3K
214A

DNK lows:

214A
REF A
DGF K
INT A

Staple Combo EX.

3B, 6K
1K, 8A+K
DNK Combos

And that's all for basics dude. You'll get there with practice. =)

I do just fine without ever hitting AA or BB n_n but yeah, learn iMCF. I dont have it down pat yet, and its costing me sometimes lol.

Also, learn stance transitions and how to avoid moves in the stances, thats a life saver too.

That, and remember if you are low on health and are about to lose a round, go for a double KO with das suicide!

EDIT! I don't mean this is a harsh way lol. I was actually being more sarcastic then not. If your a beginner, these are the last things you wanna focus on. Yeah, like dorya says, just do whatever was in his post lol!

LOL just practice bro. With Yoshi it's just a really deep learning curve. Memorize his entire movelist and get your basics down. Don't worry about iMCF or a:B+K right now, stick with 6K for enders until you're ready for the more advanced stuff.

Honorable mentions:

AA
BB
6B
33BB+K
6K Series
FC 3K
214A

DNK lows:

214A
REF A
DGF K
INT A

Staple Combo EX.

3B, 6K
1K, 8A+K
DNK Combos

And that's all for basics dude. You'll get there with practice. =)

I can do a:B+K consistently. I've been playing with Sigel some and I am learning, slowly but surely lol.

Before you start to listen to all these combos and strats learn all his moves and remember them, its nice to be able to pull off any move off the top of your head anytime......Starting off with what everone writes here (no offence guys)and you will neglect ALOT of moves,so get that out the way first then back to 8wayrun

Nearly every time a play against a different Yoshimitsu, I learn something new. The people I see who use Yoshimitsu online are few and far between, so I usually add them as a friend (not sure if its the same way on XBL). And like Sigel said earlier, most people who use Yoshimitsu have a different playstyle. As a matter of fact, part of the reason why Yoshi is so hard for people to fight is because he has such a vast moveset, not many people besides mainers take the time to figure all of them out. In other words: make the opponent say "WTF JUST HAPPENED?!?" whether its a particularly useful move or not. Case and Point: I've found one of my most useful moves is FLEA 666. Its a low, when people usually expect mids or highs out of that stance, and its fairly quick.

It is fairly quick, but it can even be punished on hit I think. If I'm just screwing around I throw it out there. If I ever land 3[A+B] though, that move is a must afterwords, just because it really does make people say "WTF?" But yeah I feel myself progressing a lot, and I've only been playing with Yoshi for like 5 days. Playing with pros is the shit.

Be cautious with FLE 66. You're at disadvantage on block and hit. It's more of a finisher than something you should consider a regular part of Yoshi's game. If you want a low from FLE, use FLE [K].

Ive been raped by that FLEA 666. But ive only seen people throw it out when they fuck me up out of super dragon fly. I cant seem to do it that great cause I use the analog stick and it cant make my thumb move that fast. I also have a bitch of a time shaking stuns. I need an arcade stick!!

I finally last night figured out what you can punish with a door knocker. If you knock them down rush in there very quick with a door knocker. You get a free door knocker every time you knock someone down and they bounce slightly off the ground. I feel Ive broken a new ground with yoshi. I feel Im not struggling anymore trying to figure out what move I should do next. here's the "wtf?" move I threw out the other night. It felt so fuckin pro, that I got a chubby from it

6B+K, A+B, , 8A+K, K:k (yes i landed the falling just frame), 3A,B, a:B+K, 4K = 13 second perfect

it took me 15 minutes to make sure I got the notations right..lol. But that was so fuckin satisfying, I jump outta my chair dropped my controller on my coffe table, spilled my coffee, and knocked over my ash tray. But i didnt care cause Id been working on that for weeks. And finally! Might have to move maxi to my second main.

Now Im working on those wall combos that hajime has got going. Those are pretty tough

Dave: DNK can be used for tech traps. If you time it correctly you can get a free DNK (or two) when the opponent tries to tech after moves such as 66A+B, 3B, etc.

Did you mean 66B+K A+B K?
Why 4K after a:B+K?

Dave: DNK can be used for tech traps. If you time it correctly you can get a free DNK (or two) when the opponent tries to tech after moves such as 66A+B, 3B, etc.

Did you mean 66B+K A+B K?
Why 4K after a:B+K?

i did mean 66b+K. i did the 4K because my buddy gave up by that point and didnt try to side step it. So i pretty much landed that on terms that you normally wouldnt. But it worked. I had to take a few steps to get within range for the 4K but it worked like a charm.

I know that probablly wasnt the cleanest set of combos to win with, but it had all the "flash" and the "wow" factor woke up the baby...lol. It looked really beasty. they jaws that were on the floor afterward almost made me nut in my pants. if there are better follow ups to a:B+K id be interested!! My brain was going so fast its all i could think of!!

getting back to the FLEA 6666 etc. how is it when i play viz and dorya, and they do that move (usually out of SDGF) that it goes so fuckin fast it goes off the screen? is that cause they use an arcade stick? or am i doin something wrong?

Dave: That's SDGF B, 2[A+B], FLE 66. There's timing to it. Anyways, let's not hijack the thread anymore. Anything off-topic, move it to the general thread, please.

Take a lot of time, and hardwork my friend. Send me an inv, when you get the chance, and we can play a few. Yoshi is a character that can be play many ways. There isn't only one playstyle to the crazymitsu. So, try to make up your own style like I did for yoshi. I play this very defensive yoshi with lots of tech traps and mix ups. His combos aren't that important to me in battle, so I only use the ones that are the most useful.

Do any of you yoshi users play on PSN? He just doesn't click with me so I really want to fight some other yoshis. Maybe you guys can tell me why I suck with him. I NEED HELP NAO

Back