I'm going to my first tournament soon suggestions?

ColtZz

[08] Mercenary
I've never really attended an offline tournament but I really want to, I'm 97% sure i'm going to GVN in Phillie.
Can anyone show me the difference between Online/Offline Raphael/Astaroth. Here are some videos of me playing. . .
Me (Asta) Vs Doom Hunter (Ivy)

Me (Raph) Doom (Sophie)

I'm going to my first tournament soon suggesti

The difference between them, from my limited experiences, is that Raph is a tad bit faster offline and Astaroth is a little bit easier to do certain combo's with. Astaroth is still slow, and Raph is still a pain in the ass if you know how do to his true master combo right. You know, stuns and all.

I've been to two offline tournaments and won them both, so I can tell you this. Tighten up your defense, because if anyone at that tournament is worth anything they're going to exploit that weak spot. I would.

Alright, I'm going to work on it, Thanks bro.

Watch out for people stepping Prep transitions, and people stepping Raph in general. But don't be afraid to use Prep A, at least until you know your opponent knows about it and will block/step. Try it from different transitions to further test your opponent's anti-Raph if you want.

44B's awesome, but don't throw it out too much at neutral. It is quite steppable, although it does track 8WR to one side.

I don't think I need to point it out, but just in case, know what leaves you at heavy disadvantage on block. Online this, offline that, blah blah blah etc. It's quite necessary when you're up against someone such as Amy and her good ol' i11 6BB.

Speaking of offline, you can probably make good use of 4B's TCing power with more time to react. It TCs earlier than most moves, and leads to that "true master combo" (heh that's a strange name to give it). Try it against common highs, throws and strings such as Nighty's GS K instead of ducking.

Probably some other stuff, it's hard to tell from 2 vids. I'm sure the folks from the relevant soul arenas can help out with specifics if you ask. Have fun!

Yeah, Thanks bro. i didnt think of that

Suggestions? Make friends. Make rivals. Bring Febreeze.

Ask who the best player there is, then walk up to him and tell him his mother gives lousy head. Then give him the epic slow turning thumbs up to thumbs down.

That should get you off on the right foot.

are war cry's stil required for tournaments? you need to practice these in the mirror. oh ye lol at above post

Remember that aside from the actual tournament, you get a lot of experience playing people before and afterwards. During the tournament too, if there's multiple stations set up. Brings five or ten bucks if you can afford it, do a couple of 5 dollar money matches. You'd be amazed how much you improve - even more than tournaments - when your money's on the line.

Have a healthy sense of humility.
Take a shower and smell nice.
Gas mask optional.

Bring five or ten bucks if you can afford it, do a couple of 5 dollar money matches.

hdmicablerape.jpg

Make sure you do not take it hard if you happen to go 0-2 in the tournament. For a first time tournament player this is absolutely nothing to be ashamed of.

I have not watched your vids, I am just saying this as general advice for anyone going to a tournament for the first time.

pretty decent. I don't know much about raph but it seemed you need to be safer with your moves. Cass has great frames and she was getting CH a lot. You were often trying to beat her to a hit when she had advantage. Learn to block and punish especially on wake up.

For astaroth, better. However I watched you completely miss an opportunity to 28B+G after a 63214B+G. Pretty aggressive tho.

That Ivy needs some work. While they were good at landing CHs, their follow ups weren't good. WP CH 3A, 1B??? Good if it hit's, bad if it doesn't (90% of the time). Do either 3 or B+K236BB.

CL 6AK (stun not shaken) should always end with:

6AK, 4B(A+K), 66A+K
6AK, 214, 4B+K, 4B(B+K), 214K
6AK, 214, 4B+K, 6B+K (for RO)
6AK (B+K), iCS
6AK (B+K), any sword CH follow up

He missed that one. He did however do WP 1B+K, 4B...but didn't follow up with B+K, 214K. Also most Ivy's will be in SW and CL most of the time, whereas they were mainly WP.

Practice your 2A's, you could have stopped alot of was happening to you. I know this is online and maybe thats why, but for example Sophies 4B although it leaves you in Full crouch, it leaves her at -1. Yes Her QCF:B is 13 frames, but doing it after 4B makes it -14 IF he did the JF which he didnt making it 15 frames, Raph's 2a from Full crouch is 13 frames add the fact that sophie is at -1 its now a 12 frame Special Mid that give you +8 on CH. also you could have waited and punished hard seeing that QCF+B should only be used for punishing, seeing that its -20 on block.... (Free 3BB~ prep everytime)

Use 2a to keep your opponent honest, once they have eaten enough of them, they will re considering continuously attacking just because there at a small disadvantage., and it will force them to do other things after having the safe moves blocked, like Gi-ing stepping, or juts blocking afterwards ect.

Also we notice tricks like sophies 4AB string, although it ends exactly like 4B the difference is 4AB is -16 on block while just 4B is -1, Punish 4AB with raph's 6BB~ prep put that pressure on them.

I think you will do fine offline, just dont let your oppt. think they can keep attacking just becus there at a small disadvantage, make them fear 2A, 6B whatever it take to keep them honest.

Dont much about those characters but a timeless advice that anyone that can give you, is that to stay calm. dont let the tourney jitters get to you. stay calm and think about what your doing and dont freeze

Only watched your Raph videos, and it seems your main source of damage is either
1)whiff punish with a 44B after baiting with a low kick or something other small poke
2) Prep entries from block for CH (if you realize you are getting a lot of CH prep B... gamble with prep A since the CH reward is a lot better)
3) frame traps ... ie hitting with the last hit of 33KB or 22B~VEBB even though sophie started blocking
4)Regular CH from sophie attacking at disadvantage

Hope you have a plan against patient foes (either lows or go for soul guage)

Also if you see a big name remember that his characters take just as much damage as yours. Dont let the name or anything stir you. I use the mind set of "Hey you dont know me so I can make a name for myself being the *insert yourname here* killer". Also if something doesn't work like a combo or set up, leave it alone and dont try to force it. If it doesnt work go to another plan. I do that if a combo fails then I go for another one. Dont get hung up on doing a set of moves or a combo if it fails once just go to your next plan and throw it out the window till the opportunity presents itself. And one last peace of advice... no matter who they are throw all you can at them. If you think they might block it...make them block it. You never know what may work till you try.

P.S. Also do EXACTLY what Beefy said!

Ask who the best player there is, then walk up to him and tell him his mother gives lousy head. Then give him the epic slow turning thumbs up to thumbs down.

That should get you off on the right foot.

I want to give you a hug.

OP - Stay calm, don't let big names bother you, try and get in some casuals before you start your tournament match. Having your first tourney match when you're not warmed up is a pain.

Shower. Please, please, please shower.

My first tourney was some small local shindig and my first opponent was 44/Linc/Motempest and I didn't know who he was or anything I just remember the first fight I lost real bad and the second fight came pretty close and I actually soul crushed his Taki (this was August 08 btw) and because of the tourney jitters I screwed up pressing 4 buttons at the same time. Damn missed a Critical Finish :(

Then I found out his background and I never played as well as I did against him back then. Don't let names get to your head.

I'm gonna be at this tournament.

You fucking better not let me find you, or I will personally take a shit in your pants, then ask you"Why did you shit yourself".
That's before I break your thumbs and jaw.

Back