Introductions!

Azaraki

[08] Mercenary
Hey everyone, I'm Azaraki, or otherwise known as AzarakiDragon. If you've heard of that before, it would only be if you play MOBAs and follow the competitive scenes for any of those games as I've shoutcasted quite a few tournaments for League of Legends and a few other, smaller games; but enough of that, I certainly don't mean to be "that guy" who talks about other games here.

When it comes to fighting games, I've never really been that competitive; just kinda playing them here and there every now and again. Soul Calibur was really one of the only fighting games I've ever liked. One of the things I liked the most was the z-dimension. I won't get into the why on a lot of these, partly because some of them just appeal to me for some reason, but I also enjoyed the scarcity of ranged projectile attacks, and the fact that the characters actually use weapons, which is not only aesthetically pleasing, but also gives you more diversity, rather than 39 characters that go "HADOUKEN" and a couple that use a marginally more acrobatic version of Taekwondo.

I made the switch to PC gaming about 3 and a half years ago, and at the time, unfortunately made the mistake of leaving behind the Soul Calibur franchise, one of two series that I genuinely missed from my Xbox360. I was young enough back then to have things dictated by my parents, and they decided to sell the console, which is why I didn't just keep my 360 along with Soul Calibur 4 and Halo 3/Reach. Fast forward a few years and I'm in college, and someone on my floor had a 360 and a bunch of games for it. I quickly became known as the guitar hero guy when it comes to gaming (considering most of them didn't do any PC gaming), but eventually, more specifically one week ago, I found out that the guy had Soul Calibur 5. So obviously, I spent last week playing nothing but Soul Calibur 5 between my finals. I actually ended up being the best person on my floor at the game, even after not having played any games of the franchise for the past 3 years (Which, granted, wasn't a huge accomplishment; I'm sure you guys would almost all be able to beat me.), but I also managed to get everyone else into the game as well. So here I am at winter break, with a big craving for Soul Calibur and a competitive drive to maintain my dorm title for the game (and three other people happen to have the game, so I know they'll be practicing over break). I asked one of my friends who's also switched to PC gaming if I could borrow his 360 over break. He agreed ('cause that's what friends are for; letting you borrow things xD), and I'm just gonna buy SCV so I'll be able to practice as well. So here I am now, on this site, waiting for the weather to stahp so I can go get the 360.

I decided to sign up for this site just now because I've always been interested in and watching tournaments for Soul Calibur, even while I didn't have it; Lost Providence is one of my favorite players, even though he doesn't main anything I do (and I also hope his attitude is awesome so I don't have to feel bad about liking someone who ends up being a douche to people). Speaking of, I've decided that my main is definitely Natsu, Tira is possibly second, and I have no idea who my third character would be. Anyhow, I'm hoping to learn more about the game and the competitive scene, get better at the game (I've just barely gotten to the point where I can beat button-mashers who play stuff like Mitsurugi, Nightmare, and Xiba (yeah, the people on my floor are assholes xD) semi-consistently), meet and get to know some awesome new people, and maybe find a few people to play and practice against over break!

And that's the unabridged history of me as pertains to Soul Calibur!

TL;DR: Just starting to get back into Soul Calibur; looking to learn about the competitive scene and meet people.

Thanks for reading any amount of this that you've read, have a great day, week, and life everyone!

PS: RIP, ToLS

If you want videos of a good Natsu, you should check out Hawkeye or kAb since they are the best representations of that character in the USA. Welcome!

Reactions: CFW
Thanks for the welcomes, guys. I've been checking out more of the forums and this seems like a fun place to be! I've seen a decent amount of Hawkeye through a lot of the tournaments I've watched. I think I still need to play the game just a little more before I can really learn things from his play. At the moment, I still can't really see too much of the "why" he's doing a lot of things, or more specifically why he's *not* doing specific things. I know how a lot of the frames work and how Natsu's got a good deal of moves lower than 14 frames, but I guess a lot of it actually just has to do with the matchup, so I might just spend more time playing against certain characters and try again.

Hey there, welcome to the forums!

It's rare to see newcomers with your type of attitude. Hope you enjoy your stay here!

I second Partisan's sentiments.

The nice thing is that SCV's online is so good that you'll be able to find opponents who can challenge you and teach you far beyond the people on your dorm floor, too!

Yo, welcome. Good to see someone showing interests in the competitive side of Soul Calibur.

Welcome! My #1 advice: go to tournaments, even if you suck. They're lots and lots of fun, and you'll learn a lot in a short period of time.

Back