Ivy matchups discussion and strategies

ZombieRommel

[08] Mercenary
Astaroth, Sigfried, and Nightmare are the three characters who beat me the most online. What are some general strategies Ivy can employ against them?

To be more specific, Astaroth gets me in throw loops, knocking me into the air and catching me on the way down and mixing up his unblockables with his lows, bullrush charges, and multi-hitting knee-stomp.

Good Nightmare and Sigfried players ruin my day once they knock me to the ground. Even if I ukemi it seems like I can't Guard Impact in time to stop their assaults. They just knock me around with the diagonal lows and the little catch throw where Nightmare holds you by the throat and squeezes, which sends you flying.

I can beat most other characters, but these are the ones that I have problems with...

Ivy players... HALP! :(

We can probably rename this thread to Ivy Matchup Thread.

I realized that nightmare has no decent lows in this game.
All his lows are heavily telegraphed.
He does have a good tech-trap game.
Sometimes it's just better to lay still and take the damage before getting up...at least for the first round or so.
Most people have a very predictable pattern, so you can use it to your advantage.

You can zone Astaroth like crazy in this game, given that the stage gives you space.
At close quarters use 4K and 4A if he sidesteps.
Control midrange with 6A and 6B
You can punish a variety of astaroth's lows with 44BBB because it takes so long to end the animation.

Siegfried is a mixed bag.
Depending on your connection to the player, lag can be a serious detriment in this matchup.
Regardless, I just jump all his moves with 9B
lol

I treat them all the same honestly. When they lunge at me with an attack I side step with 88/22 :(B):>:B::B::B:. Try to zone the crap outta them. Block and punish with :(A):, it pushes them away and a turns them around giving you time to launch your next zoning attack.
Try to use :6::(A):, on CH it pulls them flat on their faces. You can follow up with with anything you like but remember you are close to them at this point so you may want to simply continue zoning them instead.
Can't help with Astaroth's throw game sorry...

If this is a general match up thread I would love some help with Alpha Patroklos aka Setsuka. This woman was a nightmare to deal with in SC4, Ivy's nerfs coupled with the fact that Setsuka's movelist probably wasn't nerfed when it was transfered to Patroklos means she is going to be harder than ever to fight. Any thoughts?

Mods can feel free to change the title to "Ivy Matchup Thread" or w/e.

Thanks for the advice, dudes Seems like you both agree that Ivy's jumping attacks are good against Astaroth' lows.

Mods can feel free to change the title to "Ivy Matchup Thread" or w/e.

Thanks for the advice, dudes Seems like you both agree that Ivy's jumping attacks are good against Astaroth' lows.
Now you mention it if you feel confident enough you could do :4::4: :B::B::(B):>:6::B::8: as long as you are quick enough seeing as she doesn't leave the ground immediately. Maybe :8::A::+::B:>:(B): would be better? It won't net you as much damage but she does leave the ground faster.

I haven't fought against that many patsukas yet in this game. However I do know that 7_8_9B works quite well against him/her. Many patsuka will try to do 2A or 2K to go to the from crouch stance, so 9B is insanely good against them.

Zone as much as possible. When you feel that they're going to close the gap, use :2::1::4::+::B: to tech step while striking. It isn't the safest move on block but considering the characters you're facing, there are only a few moves quick enough to punish Ivy during her recovery. Use two of these in succession if you have to--whatever it takes to keep your opponent at bay. Most players will proceed to block after getting hit by a second one. This should give you a little time to apply some pressure (throws, Prophecy's Pledge, Dominance, etc.). The key is not to allow the opponent chances at gaining momentum.

When they begin to notice what you're doing, they'll start to couple their dashes with horizontals in anticipation of :2::1::4::+::B:. Take this opportunity to play some footsies with your opponent and punish anything they whiff. Manage your gauge wisely.

It's not 100% unbeatable but it's worked for me thus far.

Just a thought: wouldn't punishing astaroth's lows with combos starting with FC1B be better? you are crouching to guard anyway. depending on how much SG you have, you can do a range of damage... if you have 2 full bar... it might as well be game over for Asty. btw, i was just reading the combo thread so haven't tried the 120 damage combo. it looks easy, but so do a lot of things....

direct from the Ivy combo page:
FC 1B
  • 6B8 (72 dmg)
  • 6B8 BE (86 dmg)
  • 1B BE, 1B BE, 1B BE, 6B8 (107 dmg)
  • 1B BE, 1B BE, 1B BE, 6B8 BE (120 dmg)

Hmmm
3A seems to own many character's closing in attacks
Especially those from natsu and tira...

3A?! really?! i'd thought 3A would be too slow against natsu? well, maybe not for closing in attacks...

i found 236 very useful against character with fast highs as it just slide right under them. 2362_8 is useful due to the TS, but apply carefully and at your own discretion. SCV's 2362_8 is not as great as SCIV's tho.

i am such a dumb ass... this is an Ivy thread... not Phyrra thread....

I am so serious...
I refused to use 3A for so long because I thought it was terrible
but it's honestly a really good spacer
because it's a MID and Horizontal at i19.

You mean 3A or 3[A]? Both have flaws.

3A is faster, but lacks range and it's stepable one side. 3[A] is very slow (i22) and super unsafe. It's only good at tip range. I think they should patch this move. Give it advantage on hit or make it safer. It's absolute trash right now. One of her staple moves (along with 6(B)2_8) completely butchered.

Just a thought: wouldn't punishing astaroth's lows with combos starting with FC1B be better?

No, because FC 1B launches only at close range. Any pushback makes the combo impossible.

Does Ivy have any good mids that Pyrrha can't go under?
Also which move of Ivy's is the fastest? Still not sure what I should be punishing with...
Also also, how do you deal with Pyrrah in general? Whenever I attack her attacks creep under mine and when she blocks anything she goes"NYYYYYAAAHHHH! I'm sorry! Shame Ivy can't really play the ranged game so much anymore...

Does Ivy have any good mids that Pyrrha can't go under?
Also which move of Ivy's is the fastest? Still not sure what I should be punishing with...
Also also, how do you deal with Pyrrah in general? Whenever I attack her attacks creep under mine and when she blocks anything she goes"NYYYYYAAAHHHH! I'm sorry! Shame Ivy can't really play the ranged game so much anymore...

i think you should just stay away from A's completely. esp at a distance. when i was using sophie in SCIV, i'd dodged a fair amount of moves with 236 and 2362_8, esp against high prone or vertical prone characters. but then you need watch out for Phyrra's sidesteps. also, if they tend to angle step a lot, i think you can try catching her with mid or longer low moves. now that i thought about it 1AA may be very good against angle steps. the point is not to do lots of damage, but to stop her. 1B+K or B+K or 6[B+K] might work too, not sure tho.

i think you should just stay away from A's completely. esp at a distance. when i was using sophie in SCIV, i'd dodged a fair amount of moves with 236 and 2362_8, esp against high prone or vertical prone characters. but then you need watch out for Phyrra's sidesteps. also, if they tend to angle step a lot, i think you can try catching her with mid or longer low moves. now that i thought about it 1AA may be very good against angle steps. the point is not to do lots of damage, but to stop her. 1B+K or B+K or 6[B+K] might work too, not sure tho.
Sounds about right. Sad thing is what does Ivy have without her highs? This is why I'm hoping if they patch her they will give her more or better mid attacks.

Omega's DNS B is punishable with 6B8K for 40 dmg! It's a bit tricky because it must be blocked at close range, otherwise the pushback will make it impossible to punish. Also you must buffer 6B8. With some practice it shouldn't be difficult. You can also punish Omega's 66A with 6B8K.

6B8K has increased range in SCV so it can punish many things. Good for us.

Omega's DNS B is punishable with 6B8K for 40 dmg! It's a bit tricky because it must be blocked at close range, otherwise the pushback will make it impossible to punish. Also you must buffer 6B8. With some practice it shouldn't be difficult. You can also punish Omega's 66A with 6B8K.

6B8K has increased range in SCV so it can punish many things. Good for us.

good in theory and against the rare few, but the real question is: what good omega player would use DNS B when you can block it?.... i'd main sophie since SB, and i know that when i use DNS B, it has a very good chance of hitting, and hit hard it does....

thanks for the tip tho. i didn't know about the 6b8K increased range. i actually like her 6b8K and (the now) 6KBK. it looks like she's saying "look! behind you!!" then kick!

good in theory and against the rare few, but the real question is: what good omega player would use DNS B when you can block it?.... i'd main sophie since SB, and i know that when i use DNS B, it has a very good chance of hitting, and hit hard it does....

During SC4 this move was spammed by everyone because it was safe on block (ok, Taki could punish it), went under high and mid attacks due to STC and had a lot of range. Now it's almost the same, except the fact it's unsafe BUT it has much more pushback. So you have to block it at close range to punish it.

Lot's of Omega's option are punishable by Ivy... NS A, NS B, DNS B, 66A, 3B, 44B... you have to turtle in this match if you want to win. Otherwise there's no way you can keep up with Omega's sick damage.

What's her best punisher i16 and under?
I was struggling to punish Phyrra's CE. eg Maxi gets 6A+B BE -> LI A BE for around 100 dmg.

Since they took away her SC4's 6K, she can now punish only at close range with 6B8K, BB, AA... then you have 66A which is i18.

Back