[Jul 12, 2013] Evolution 2013 Side Tournament (Las Vegas, NV)

Alex.J

[14] Master
So I am here to let you guys know of a special opportunity that is given to our community. As all of you know by now, we are not in the official line up for EVO. This is where the bad news ends. We have been given the chance to be an official side tournament of EVO 2013.

Even better, ComMando (a respected member of the SoCal fighting game community) wants to support our game and stream the tournament for us. This idea all stems from a conversation Tomahawk and ComMando had wherein they wanted to support our community. There is only one thing we need for SC5 to be an official side tourney at this year's EVO. We need players.

evo-2012-championship-series-logo.jpg

I understand that this is a little last minute. But we still have a chance to do something great. I've heard many people say that SC5 community is suffering because it didn't get into EVO this year. I recently threw a side tournament at NCR that ended up getting more players than some of the official tournaments. A big part of EVO is the community. As big as this tournament has grown, it had humble beginnings that were supported by fighting game communities. It's obvious to me that we have a great community. We ended up getting great numbers last years at EVO and lots of people had tons of fun. The only way other fighting games will recognize our community is if we stay visible and remain active. I think if we pull more numbers in our side tournament at EVO than certain official games, it makes a strong statement. This will only make our community look stronger and we will have a lot of fun in the process.

crowd-dp.jpg

A big part of the draw comes from the fact it is in Vegas also. For anyone who hasn't been to Las Vegas before, that alone is worth travelling for. Getting some drinks with fellow fighting game players and walking down the strip is always a good experience. I really want to see this tournament happen at EVO. Tomahawk, ComMando, myself and others will try our best to support this community, we just need a certain amount of vested interest before we can throw this tournament. So anyone who is slightly interested, let us know. Please use the RVSP system above and post/comment to show interest. With enough support, this could easily be one of the biggest SC5 tournaments this year.

:Edit: Important update:

After weeks of planning and talking with people, we are happy to give you guys some great news.

First off, this side tournament will be held at 10:30am in the bring your own console section of Evo on Saturday. This section of Evo will be open at 8am and we will have consoles there pretty much right when it opens for casuals for everyone to warm up. We encourage people to come early and play so we can hog as much of this area as possible before the tournament happens. All sign ups must be done before 10 so we can make sure things run smooth. I'll be trying to get as many people signed up as possible on Friday if I can. All you need to enter this tournament is 20 dollars for a spectator pass and 20 dollars for the tournament entry.

The reason why we need to run a tight schedule is because of our sponsor at MadCatz. What's going to happen is that the top placers will be playing on the official MadCatz stage around 4-5pm. MadCatz and MarkMan have generously offered us some amazing prizes for anyone who places in the top 8. First place will also receive some extra generous prizes from MadCatz as well as a large portion of the pot money. We will also be having ComMando streaming this tournament.

Thanks for everyone's interest in this tourney and I am positive it's going to be one of the biggest events of the year.

Attachments

• slide.jpg
    slide.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 26,181
I'm a maybe this time, but imagine this gets enough people like it did at NCR compared to official games. GDLK

Hmm another Vegas trip in July? Doesn't sound to bad honestly well except for the god awful heat during the day.

If I were to go and help, I agree that Saturday would be best. I don't want to miss work Friday, so I'd arrive in Vegas Friday night.

If I were to go and help, I agree that Saturday would be best. I don't want to miss work Friday, so I'd arrive in Vegas Friday night.

I think I am seeing a trend here. Also, all tournaments are enhanced by your craziness.

I should be able to make this, need to work on flight tickets I should have my final answer by June 14. Hotels may be an issue if this is multiple days. If so I may have to scrap out some extra money

I recently threw a side tournament at NCR that ended up getting more players than some of the official tournaments.

As i always like to bring up anytime someone says this game is dead. Shuts them up pretty quick. Also makes me wish even more that i was there.

There's a good chance i'll be able to make it. Mostly for Calibur, i wouldnt want to miss out on getting to fight good players, especially offline. And even though it's Vegas it's still cheaper than flying cross country. I hope we get big numbers, if we manage to beat tekken and most of the side tournaments it'll be major news. Every entrant counts, as always, but particularly this time.

Back