Just Guard Poll

I can honestly do Just Guard...

• Total voters
Just guard is over rated, just use a gi if you want consistent counter damage, it wasn't abused at evo for an example, used yes, but not extremely effective, but yes, after time it will sink in once everyone remembers the cast move list. I don't understand why some players ( in a 3 string attack for example ) just guard the entire 3 hits but then do not punish after the last attack...Just, just guard the 3rd attack of course, then punish... But then again maybe they are just guarding for execution practice, which is kool, props to them, I'll just stick to old fashion gi, and of course, the difference between online play versus in person is notable.

Just guard is over rated, just use a gi if you want consistent counter damage, it wasn't abused at evo for an example, used yes, but not extremely effective, but yes, after time it will sink in once everyone remembers the cast move list. I don't understand why some players ( in a 3 string attack for example ) just guard the entire 3 hits but then do not punish after the last attack...Just, just guard the 3rd attack of course, then punish... But then again maybe they are just guarding for execution practice, which is kool, props to them, I'll just stick to old fashion gi, and of course, the difference between online play versus in person is notable.

I guess for characters with a bad punishment game, even JG may not be enough to secure them a punisher. Besides, it's better than regular guard as it builds meter and replenishes some guard burst damage.
Also, regular GI not only costs meter, but it won't give guaranteed damage in all cases seeing as your opponent can re-GI. If you're against a character who builds meter quickly, risking a GI might not be worth it.

And most importantly of all, JG looks more impressive :P

Oh and never JG Mitsurugi. If it ain't 4B it's bullshit. Some characters are best GIed and both him and Maxi fit in that category.
I think it's still useful. Why should you eat the guard damage from 2aB when you can see it a mile away and JG it?

I dunno about his other moves.

I think it's still useful. Why should you eat the guard damage from 2aB when you can see it a mile away and JG it?

I dunno about his other moves.
Well most of his stuff that I can JG on reaction is only AA punishable and it's depressing. I guess it would still be useful to avoid Guard Burst.

Leixia WS K
I'm assuming this was done as Alpha and you know the standard rules of the game don't apply to him and Mitsurugi lol.

JG has tremendous advantages as everybody knows it "gives" frames and meter but I think the best application of it is that it nullifies effects of moves that, when blocked, would force crouch, knockback, or stun.

As a Pyrrha main, JG is almost a fourth to a third of my game. Almost any JG'ed first hit of a combo string is interruptable with Pyr's AA, upon which most people's reaction would be to block, so I throw. After 1 or 2 times doing this, opponent is afraid to attack in predictable patterns or even attack at all. It really opens up some sick mind games.

JG into 236B:4 is such a sweet feeling, believe that.

Unfortunately, it's impossible to Just Guard on wake. That is really really stupid. I've always wanted to JG a Natsu bomb setup on wake instead of be forced to jump it.

EDIT: The CPU can Just Guard on wake "just" fine.

Look man, knowing how to JG is not mandatory to be a great Soul Calibur player, you're only frustrating yourself with this "JG or die trying" mentality like most of us. What I did was spend about 10 minutes every time I start up SCV to go in training and practice JGing Aeons BBB. Slightly tapping the corner of the G each time, until I developed a technique of just sliding my thumb down the corner of G. After like a week I got it down easy, JGing at least once a match. So I really don't understand why people have so much trouble with it.

Exactly. That's how I learned to JG as well. Sliding the thumb quickly (on pad) has given me very consistent results, even in tournaments. I think it's all a matter of practice and finding what method works best for you.

Back