Just Guard

I went into training mode to practice Just guards, this is how many I get in 20+ seconds.

Now here's Guard Impacts after practicing with JGs, this is why they cost meter now, with practice, this is whats possible.

Before training with JGs, my GI's would only come out at the same rate JGs do now. Training with something that has stricter timing made something that use to be difficult easier.

Just Guard... is stupid... The only way I manage to pull it off is to quickly slide my thumb across the guard button, not even pushing it all the way in.

As for Impacting, the window of the new guard impact may be the largest guard impact window I have ever seen...

Right now, I'm just pretending JG isn't in the game lol. I've pulled off three on accident, and I spent a good half hour in training mode trying to JG NM's BB. No luck. Timing needed makes no sense to me. I've barely used five GIs since the game hit my Xbox's disc tray, JG is out of the question.

Alright, I tried training JG for more than a day and I have come to a conclusion that it does not seem to be as executed as well as it should. The only times I could JG was on pure luck, and more than half the time I get hit instead. My real problem is that this led me to believe how impractical such strict timing is in a real fight, especially online.

What needs to be done is to either patch the game and make JG a helluva easier to use - probably just tap G on impact as opposed to before impact. This is the only way JG can claim that it is easier, and safer than GI. Right now, it's just so hard to use that it's impractical and therefore DOES NOT render GI obsolete because it's just NOT FUN.

I found GIs more fun because for one thing you can immediately see that you can do it - you see the opponent attack, you 6B, and it WORKS. It's only real flaw is the whiff on use, as well as the lack of frame advantage on success (leading to counter GIs and blocks, but at least it stops the attack string). So if they are to bring GIs back as a non-meter costing move, what needs to be done is to get rid of whiff on success (of course), as well as giving you frame advantage. Plain and simple really.

And I called BS on when I heard they nerfed GIs to prevent "GI wars" - I was like "WTF really?". Trust me, if they patch the GIs to be meterless, JG WILL be obsolete.

There are people out there that can JG quite reliably. It's just a high level skill, that's all. When top level tournament players get the hang of it and start using it then I think you'll see what a difference it makes. I miss legacy GI as well, but I don't think it will be getting brought back via patch.

Something that may help you all

IF you really want to practice how to do it,go into Training, set the AI to just gaurd, take a few steps back, and watch what it does. It twitches the second your attack is about to connect. (or would have connected if you we're standing that close) I noticed that the ai's timing is exactly the same for every move. and that it hardly ever fails it. I think your supposed to release the button as you get hit.

So, does anyone have tricks for JG lows? For the life of me, I can't. I can JG highs and mids, but lows are giving me trouble. I think it has something to do with timing the 2 in the 2G motion, but what are your thoughts?

I think JG low is really only useful for Natsu's unblockable launcher. Then she can't lol airgrab you afterward. But to answer your question, no, I don't have any tricks.

I think all the JG threads should be merged. I've done a long (and short) summary of my findings on JG in the tactics forum.

Hey all first time poster here.

I'd first like to say thank you to everyone who posted tips on how to do JG. I was really having a hard time with it before reading what everyone had to say. After reading some of the tips on here I was able to JG a bit more than I was before, but still not that often.

What really helped me was switching the X and R2 buttons around. Having guard on R2, I just kinda flick it with the middle of my middle finger, and my JG success went though the roof. Also Ive been watching the streak on the enemies weapon and timing my press/release with that.

Thanks again for the help, and if your having problems with JG try switching the buttons like I did, and maybe it'll help. Look forward to seeing what else I learn form this site.

I can JG Ivy 6(B) almost consistently. If people want to spam that I will gladly take the extra meter :)

Edit: I now have the timing down for Hilde's 22B and 66A+B down too. Both these bitches can fuck off now.

What would make training mode very rewarding would be giving a specific colour to the G in command history when it's been held for 4F or less. That way people would know if their timing is off, or if they hold the button too long.

My impression from my own review of input history is that pressing a pad button for <4F is not going to be easy.

What would make training mode very rewarding would be giving a specific colour to the G in command history when it's been held for 4F or less. That way people would know if their timing is off, or if they hold the button too long.

My impression from my own review of input history is that pressing a pad button for <4F is not going to be easy.
It's really easy. If your character gets close to their full blocking animation you have held it too long. They should just twitch in place.

Turn on frame delay and I can still hit the Just Guard.

Oooo guuuurl, watch out, watch out now...

I think we will definitely see this at high-level tournaments, no doubt about it. If a low-level like me can do it, then...

Here's something you can do:

Practice mode, vs. Mitsurugi, Stand All Guard, Replay Random.

Record 3B, BB, and 4B. JG that.

(It's not pretty. But if you can, you da man.)

tl;dr you're only gonna do this when the other guy gets predictable, or when you're on fire. Attempting to be a JG fiend when there's no reason to (flashy) is just gonna get you pwned.

Just another tool in the repertoire, really.

I'm sort of coming around to it. There's a few times where I can see it working well. In strings particularly, you just have to release right as you get hit and tap VERY early. It really is very early, feels very wrong but I have managed to become decently consistent at least string inputs now. Even hit it a couple of times in actual games, but I didn't get any punish off of them because I wasn't committed enough to it haha.

Back