Kayane interviews Katsuhiro Harada of Namco

Last edited by a moderator:
... the answer about GGPO was painful to listen to. It reminded me of the silly interview a bunch of years back with some American politician who talked about how the internet is a bunch of pipes and there's too much data going through it.

I'm just gonna assume he didn't really know he was talking about, and that the programmers at Namco has taken a more serious look at it and are aware of the netcode issues.

I have to agree on the GGPO answer. While I do understand it doesn't magically make everything better, it was painful to see him struggle with his explanation. Narrow band? So we're making the game with dial-up users in mind? I guess we can safely assume that's a "no" to GGPO then.

You picked a nice selection of questions too btw (some of us probably would have grilled him too hard) and your english is fine. I prefer it this way, French is a sweet accent. Also Kayane, merci beaucoup.

Yeah, the interview itself was good. It's always nice to see an actual fan interview a developer. And although the answer deserves a facepalm, it was nice to see a question regarding GGPO.

They don't want to implement GGPO because they'd have to admit that they've been trading on the same outdated engines for both of the series' for the past 3 games.

The truth is, implementing GGPO depends alot on if the basic programming of the game can be modified to accept it; how it handles data, ect. Basically, the engines of Tekken and SC are not suited for it, and it would require some time to re-write the engines, which they are clearly unwilling to do.

-Idle

I'm not holding my breath at all, but at least another Namco producer unofficially endorses SC having an arcade presence. That's better than rationalizing excuses for not making an arcade edition.

... the answer about GGPO was painful to listen to. It reminded me of the silly interview a bunch of years back with some American politician who talked about how the internet is a bunch of pipes and there's too much data going through it.

I'm just gonna assume he didn't really know he was talking about, and that the programmers at Namco has taken a more serious look at it and are aware of the netcode issues.

Are you a Programer ?

Would that require them to scrap the game and start from scratch?
There's no way they'd have to start 100% from scratch. A ton of the code should be separate enough that it shouldn't be affected, and all the assets shouldn't have to be touched.

This is a lot of speculation though. Without getting an indepth look at the code, it's pretty hard to say how difficult or easy it would be to implement. Anyway, if they've been able to implement the current crappy netcode, there's no excuse for them to not implement a better one instead.

Are you a Programer ?
I'm not a professional programmer but I've done it as a hobby for many years now. I've also worked on netcodes for a few projects.

Yeah, the interview itself was good. It's always nice to see an actual fan interview a developer. And although the answer deserves a facepalm, it was nice to see a question regarding GGPO.

There aren't enough questions about GGPO already? 5 out of every 3 questions asked to real developers are about GGPO.

I have a good friend that's a Network Engineer for consoles (Most interestingly recently he worked for LucasArts until they outsourced all their software engineers).

He's given me a good rundown of why Rollback code wouldn't really work well in these modern games. The short version is there's too much information to sync (way more than just inputs), and its too memory intensive for the consoles (which are really short on memory by modern standards).

There aren't enough questions about GGPO already? 5 out of every 3 questions asked to real developers are about GGPO.
Maybe I've been really bad with following interviews then :-P This is the first SC5 interview I've seen with a question about GGPO.

Really liked this interview, really good questions! I'm hoping the online will be good once the game comes out, Harada has his opinion, but I'm sure they can work it out.
Can't wait for ComicCon to see what they reveal! Good work Kayane.

Wow, about that GGPO answer...

didn't I pretty much say something similar in the GGPO petition thread? Too much data to pass over the internet for just a licensed-GGPO sticker to solve. Glad Harada-san finally made that clear...

Great interview with great questions. Much longer than I expected and higher quality, too. thanks kayane

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrdaniyel
Back