Kayane's Hands-on Impressions of SC5

Namco graciously invited Kayane to come to GamesCom to try out the build of Soul Calibur 5 that they brought with them, but was unable to share her impressions of the game until August 30th because of a media embargo that was in place. Now that the embargo is over, Kayane stayed up until 6AM her local time in France just to share with the community her impressions of the game.

Check Kayane's blog for the full details, and leave a comment with any questions that you may have for her.

very interesting read and knowing that things are in development, none of these reports could make it to release

AHH! a GI based on an energy bar? It should be a battle of wits; not a battle of reserves! It's quite an event when you can count about 14 GI's between your and your opponent's volley! We need the classic GI back and the classic affect on the opponent! That and the 8 way run are what define Soul Calibur IMHO.

I'm excited to see the stages! I knew they looked incredible from the screenshots. Now I'm convinced.

Good to hear there will be patches. Maybe we don't have to be stuck with anything that turns us off. OOoh and downloadable characters. XD (please please please)

Thanks Kayane.

So.. JGs will play a bigger role than GIs this time. Not sure yet if that will be either good or bad for me.

Yeah, I'm not fond of the new GI system. However, I won't judge because the game is still in its demo version. Still, I hope the 4G, 6G, 1G, and 3G impacts come back.

We do need to write to Daishi and ask for the randomness of Tira, and other characters, to go away.

Strangely enough, due to the inclusion of Just Guard, I am not bothered that Guard Impact requires a part of the gauge. Maybe the developers have their reasons, I hope they expand on why these changes.

"With Natsu, I JG the second hit of Pyrrhas’ BB, and I punish with garanteed AA"

Wow. Get that garbage out of here Namco. Looks like we need to complain more. Oh yes, and please ruin GI for us too! We love that!

Vints I wish I could tell if this post was sarcastic or not. Your reputation for dry humor precedes you.

-Idle

It really seems like they're trying to make this game as much about execution and random stuff as possible. The Armor Breaks being random really sounds bad.

I flat out am going to say I don't like the way this is looking right now.

From Kayane's original thread:

I'm mostly indifferent to the changes, but I'm kind of bummed we won't be getting full SC2 speed back. Glad we still have guard crush, though. I can't say I'm happy about the GI/JG stuff either. But I'm keeping an open mind.

It really seems like they're trying to make this game as much about execution and random stuff as possible. The Armor Breaks being random really sounds bad.

I flat out am going to say I don't like the way this is looking right now.
Plz read carefully armor breaks aren't random. They work in conjunction with Soul Crush.

The only thing I take issue with so far is not being able to gi lows and mids with 3 A+B+K. That Zwei unblockable has to be stopped somehow. Hopefully Ein's mids are special mids instead.

Excellent read, thanks for the link and to Kayane for the writing.

It doesn't seem like they have put much work on the old characters except Hilde, lets hope it's all an early WIP.

Can't say I like what I read about the meter based GI and Zwei, but it may be too early to complain.

Not sure how i feel about BB being punishable with a JG. GI being tied to meter and being only one type seems kind of lame. I'm not really sure why they decided to do that, i just hope they realize that just because they tie a mechanic to super meter it doesn't make the mechanic more 'deep'. As long as they don't give you 21(? something high) frames to attack before the opponent can block again like in BD it will be fine.

Character stuff no comment, i really want to test Hilde since i have this gut feeling charges will still be very "spammable".

Live streams

4 Viewers
ChiefVibe
ChiefVibe
Feel Like Ripping My Teeth Out My Mouth , But Im Okay 🙃
1 Viewers
karat_mc
karat_mc
SoulCalibur 6 Весы духа

Forum statistics

Threads
Members