KiLLer Instinct [Xbox One Exclusive]

GUYS GUYS GUYS I JUST PLAYED THIS GAME!!

They just set up a couple of Xbox One demo stations in a nearby mall, so of course I went and tried it. Here's some quick impressions:

First of all, the game's visuals are significantly better in person, but there's so much shit going on that it's difficult to notice when you're playing. To be honest, there's nothing outside of the fancy hitsparks that looks or feels like it couldn't be done on the 360. It's definitely it's own thing though, it doesn't look like anything else out there.

Now, the game itself feels kinda... heavy, for lack of a better word. It's difficult to compare it to a specific game because it feels like an amalgamation of so many different things. Right off the bat something bothered me greatly: it's very masher friendly. I found myself doing 15 hit combos without knowing what I was doing. So much so that at some points it was difficult to gauge how much of what was happening on the screen was my own doing.

Movement is a lot like MK, but slower. I had a difficult time getting close to my opponent and starting a string, though that may just be lack of experience. Strategies from Marvel were the most useful, and the juggles felt like in between Marvel and Tekken (but a lot more masher-friendly). The combo breakers are very difficult to use, it was like trying to use DoA holds in the middle of a Marvel combo. Combos do follow a pattern though, so I guess combo breakers become easier to execute as you get used to the flow of each character.

Also, the game is SLOW, each round took forever (and both my opponent and I knew what we were doing). I fear the combo breaker mechanic will just make this even worse, but I could be wrong.

I got to play Jago, Orchid, and Wolf. Jago is your typical shoto, but his fireball was awkwardly slow. Orchid is a bit heavier on execution, but has great range. Wolf (or whatever his name is) is pure rushdown; I managed a 22-hit combo just mashing. My opponent (not a friendly guy at all) used only Jago. I saw another guy using Sadira and Thunder, they both looked badass. Character diversity is great, kind of alleviates the limited selection.

Overall, it's like putting Marvel, Tekken, MK, and DoA in a blender. Not too bad for how crazy that mix is, but it's honestly not what I expected. Maybe that's got more to do with the fact that I was playing with a much more experienced player (who happened to be a total douchebag and barely even talked to anyone), but I feel as if the slow rhythm of the matches clashes too strongly with the fast-paced combat.

I'll give it another try soon to test out Glacius and see if training mode helps, it definitely keeps you wanting for more.

TL;DR: Mixed feelings on this one. It's too slow for my tastes, and very masher friendly, but if you can look past the flaws you've got a fun, marvel-like game. I played too briefly to give a final verdict, but it's definitely the best launch exclusive for either console. And the visuals = clusterfuck of overdone 1080p hitsparks. Also, mashing works.

I also got to play Ryse and Forza, I can give you brief insights on that if you want.

but it's definitely the best launch exclusive for either console.

It's not for "either" console it's an Xbox One exclusive title.

Wii-U sucks too badly to have it, PC gamers never get most game titles anyways, if it was for PS4 you'd never get to play it because PS4 would just Blue Light of Death on you. I'm happy it's a XB1 exclusive and I think we're getting it for free. Meaning the online community will be very busy! =] When something is free because you pre-ordered it's usually heavily populated so I just hope the netcode is good.

>:D

his english was correct Jinrai. Saying it's the best launch title for either console means that it's the best launch title period for the current console generation.
If he said Both consoles instead of Either console than it would be wrong, but it's right.

What's sad is that this might actually be the best launch title for either console. Even when it's sooo mediocre, because the other games are so lame. Except Dead Rising 3 maybe, also XB1 exclusive. XB1 is currently up 2 to none for launch titles that matter. Even if they only matter for a short period of time.

GUYS GUYS GUYS I JUST PLAYED THIS GAME!!

They just set up a couple of Xbox One demo stations in a nearby mall, so of course I went and tried it. Here's some quick impressions:

First of all, the game's visuals are significantly better in person, but there's so much shit going on that it's difficult to notice when you're playing. To be honest, there's nothing outside of the fancy hitsparks that looks or feels like it couldn't be done on the 360. It's definitely it's own thing though, it doesn't look like anything else out there.

Now, the game itself feels kinda... heavy, for lack of a better word. It's difficult to compare it to a specific game because it feels like an amalgamation of so many different things. Right off the bat something bothered me greatly: it's very masher friendly. I found myself doing 15 hit combos without knowing what I was doing. So much so that at some points it was difficult to gauge how much of what was happening on the screen was my own doing.

Movement is a lot like MK, but slower. I had a difficult time getting close to my opponent and starting a string, though that may just be lack of experience. Strategies from Marvel were the most useful, and the juggles felt like in between Marvel and Tekken (but a lot more masher-friendly). The combo breakers are very difficult to use, it was like trying to use DoA holds in the middle of a Marvel combo. Combos do follow a pattern though, so I guess combo breakers become easier to execute as you get used to the flow of each character.

Also, the game is SLOW, each round took forever (and both my opponent and I knew what we were doing). I fear the combo breaker mechanic will just make this even worse, but I could be wrong.

I got to play Jago, Orchid, and Wolf. Jago is your typical shoto, but his fireball was awkwardly slow. Orchid is a bit heavier on execution, but has great range. Wolf (or whatever his name is) is pure rushdown; I managed a 22-hit combo just mashing. My opponent (not a friendly guy at all) used only Jago. I saw another guy using Sadira and Thunder, they both looked badass. Character diversity is great, kind of alleviates the limited selection.

Overall, it's like putting Marvel, Tekken, MK, and DoA in a blender. Not too bad for how crazy that mix is, but it's honestly not what I expected. Maybe that's got more to do with the fact that I was playing with a much more experienced player (who happened to be a total douchebag and barely even talked to anyone), but I feel as if the slow rhythm of the matches clashes too strongly with the fast-paced combat.

I'll give it another try soon to test out Glacius and see if training mode helps, it definitely keeps you wanting for more.

TL;DR: Mixed feelings on this one. It's too slow for my tastes, and very masher friendly, but if you can look past the flaws you've got a fun, marvel-like game. I played too briefly to give a final verdict, but it's definitely the best launch exclusive for either console. And the visuals = clusterfuck of overdone 1080p hitsparks. Also, mashing works.

I also got to play Ryse and Forza, I can give you brief insights on that if you want.

Sounds very interesting! Want to know more about Ryse and Forze. I may get an Xbox One in the office I work atm soon too. So i can try out Killer Instinct for myself. ;)

What's sad is that this might actually be the best launch title for either console. Even when it's sooo mediocre, because the other games are so lame. Except Dead Rising 3 maybe, also XB1 exclusive. XB1 is currently up 2 to none for launch titles that matter. Even if they only matter for a short period of time.
This is precisely what I meant. KI is ok, but not worth $660 (console + extra pad + online + full game). There's no games worth getting for the PS4 either at this point, except for those you can already play on a current gen console (plus the PS4's failure rate is disastrous). If anything the Wii U has the best lineup, just because of how bad the other two seem in comparison. Though that's a topic for another thread.

If it's between the PS and Xbone right now, Xbone wins by far, but just because of how pathetic the [overhyped] launch lineups are. I still recommend holding on until better games are released, unless you absolutely must play KI. One benefit of getting the Xbone is your XBL payments carry over, so if you already have a 360 it'd be foolish to pay for two different online services.
Sounds very interesting! Want to know more about Ryse and Forze. I may get an Xbox One in the office I work atm soon too. So i can try out Killer Instinct for myself. ;)
I have mixed feelings about Ryse. The visuals are great and the framerate is silky smooth, and there's really no noticeable aliasing issues. HOWEVER, the combat is very clunky and awkward, so that breaks the immersion. As a history nerd the story also bothers me greatly; despite having a historical setting, it's about as historically accurate as God of War. So yeah, pretty game, but not much beyond that.

Forza is just Forza. The visuals are definitely above this gen's racing games, but I've been playing more graphically impressive racing games on my PC for two years now. Lack of ambient occlusion and excessive bloom also hurt it, but if you only game on consoles then it's surely a step forward. They say the pressure triggers improve the experience, but I don't consider myself qualified to judge a racing game.

The controller is also different from what I expected. It's very lightweight, almost like a Dualshock 3... not sure how I feel about that. The D-pad is clicky like a DS, takes some time getting used to. Buttons and triggers feel great, bumpers are meh. The buttons are a bit too close to the center, again takes some getting used to. Overall it's... different. And HUGE.

Counter breakers will make matches go by faster in Killer Instinct because it resets the combo bar while keeping the current damage and locking them out from breaking.

Ryse's combat is not clunky at all. I'll give you awkward though.

his english was correct Jinrai. Saying it's the best launch title for either console means that it's the best launch title period for the current console generation.
If he said Both consoles instead of Either console than it would be wrong, but it's right.

Nope, he said "either" console and if it was on "either" console other than the XB1 it would have been a let-down because let's face it, XB1 is just a superior console and it's going to vastly outsell the PS4 and Wii-U anyways... =]

I remember back in July looking back at the PS4 vs XB1 topic, and I remember your name, plus others I won't mention, blindly bashing the hell out of the Xbox One, complaining about DRM, praising the PS4 needlessly, and posting meme photos saying "PS4 has won the console war!" It's hilarious now, to read those same people suddenly agreeing with me (like Norik's posts now) when 4 months ago you called me a troll for saying those exact same things like the XB1 has superior launch titles and it's online will cheaper.... LOL!

It's almost as if you people forgot how wrong you were. I always said the XB1 was going to have a better launch and have a superior line-up of console release titles. Now you see people like you just admitting PS4 has a vastly inferior line-up, I mean you can bash XB1 exclusives like KI, but you barely have any PS4 exclusives to even praise!! xDD I guess you picked a side and landed on the wrong side of the fence....

Last edited:
really norik? disastrous? I don't think the failure rate is that bad yet. over a million sold and .4% of that have reported failures... .4% of a million is what? not as bad as the RRoD from the 360. as for this game.. yeah..

still not picking it up. Looks fun, but at this point getting an xbone for it is just... meh. I was looking at crimson dragon because i loved panzer Dragoon, but again... meh. Just really not interested in it. way more hyped for sc2 than anything right now.

i mean really.. No Cinder. No Riptor. No Eyedol. and spinal and fulgore come as the final 8 for season 1... Yeah. that's lame. I don't support the lame shit. feel free if that's what makes you happy. Me? ain't touchin that...

Well, thanks to Rekano and my friend Brad, I will be getting an Xbox One. I had no plans on buying one, but these subversive assholes managed to up and win me one from that Mountain Dew contest. They are certifiably crazy. And they probably have many tumors from the Dew.

So, I'll be on Killer Instinct. I've never had a console at launch!

EDIT: The RRoD was disastrous. The PS4 failure rate isn't there yet haha, it's still extremely low.

... and you're still an idiot.
You're unbelievable ability to have selective memory when talking about ANYTHING, in order to try (and fail) to come out on top in an argument is hilarious

For 1. that english is right, you're wrong, look it up? Can't believe you're even trying to dispute that, what are you 13?

For 2. Everything i said about the CONSOLE still stands back in those argument. What i said here has nothing to do with the console, but the games on it. Even back in the arguments i said (other than FF15 and KH3 which are all i care about, and are multi-platform), Titanfall was bar none the best looking game of the show (XB1), mixed with Crimson Dragon and DR3 being launch titles, game wise Microsoft beat Sony. PS4 had 0 launch titles that mattered outside of Watch Dogs, also multi platform, and even that was pushed back, Sony got bodied in the launch game department.
Even on a personal level, for me, i hate FPS games in general. When the biggest game that launches, exclusive or not, with your console is an FPS game, you don't matter to me until something i care about comes along.
It was the issues with the XB1 itself and all it's restrictions that were retarded, not the games man. (even though i was universally let down by all consoles on that front. no new DMC, Ninja Gaiden, FF, Tales, Fighting Game that isn't trash, Uncharted, or any new IP Action/Platformer/RPG at launch? Fucking call me when this happens)

And with everything i say comes truth. I didn't get either console at launch because i knew from the beginning there was nothing on BOTH OR EITHER console specifically that mattered to me. I don't need this new shit, i still have games to beat now. 3/4 of a year from now when both consoles have VERSION 2 coming and all the games i care about are out or nearing release, than we'll see. (Meaning FF15 and/or KH3). That's the smart thing to do anyway. Early adopters are always hilarious.

Stop right there before I have to hand out infractions and/or close this thread. If you are desperate to argue some more use the PMs, because this is not the place to do it.

https://soundcloud.com/mickgordon/killer-instinct-2013-music-1
Sorry. Can't hear crying over the block rockin jams of this soundtrack suite.
(Orchid, KI Remix Theme, Glacius, Thunder, Sadira, Sabre"classy as fuck"Wulf, and a small small snippy of Spinal)

Oh man. Im hype. Can't wait to get into this Xbox One shit. Got Battlefield 4 sitting right here, Extra controller with charge kits, done. Dead Rising 3 and the console paid off. Day One on Crimson Dragon and oh, oh man....sweet sweet Ultra Edition KI, with all the characters and shit with Arcade KI1 included(in original and updated flavors)

As an Early adopter. I am fully aware my shit could blow up in my face and I am taking a $600+ gamble. But fuck it. I want something new to play...although...I played on a PS4 over its launch weekend...fell in love with that controller.

...I want a PS4 controller.

Chief Thunder is gonna be BANANAS!!! Can't wait till next week. Instinct cancel cross-ups for DAYZ SON!

Back