Last inch?

Bijju

[08] Mercenary
I'm kind of new to this game (got it about a month ago) and I understand the combos and all the gameplay.
I mainly play Hilde, sometimes Yoshimitsu.
My winrate is 24% and I keep losing because I'll play great for the round, but then when the opponent gets to around less than 1/8 health, he'll pull some crazy whatever and I'll lose. This near always happens- I try and hit with faster attacks, but it's always when they're in the red. They'll miraculously pull through and win.
Is there some kind of secret in the game to win? Is that last bit of health untouchable?

First of all... Welcome to 8WayRun!

It's hard to say what your problem is without gameplay or anything, but I know that the "yellow" health state is a bit illusive since it stands for more "health" than usual. However, I'll direct you to the Soul Arenas for Hilde and Yoshimitsu. You might find some tips and tricks there.

In general, if you have a life lead in a round - don't rush yourself! If you're patient about it, you can wait until your frantic opponent makes a big mistake so you can clinch the round.

When the opponent is almost dead, you can finish the round with pokes.
In general your "tools" for finishing people are :B::B: and :1::K:. In other words, a quick safe mid attack of some sort, and a quick safe low attack of some sort that people can't easily block on reaction.

There is something that works almost all the time. Hit them with something, anything, then run right next to them. Almost everyone crouches when they see someone running their way, and that's when you launch them in the air with a mid attack like :3::B:.
Some players are smarter than that, so against them, you can freely pressure them with your low poke or attempt a throw, but it's always a good idea to go with a mid poke just to be sure.

As Hilde, :6::B: or :6::B::B: is an awesome long range poke. Abuse it, but do not use :6::B::B::B: if the first hits are blocked or evaded, else good players will make you pay for that mistake.
When they are distanced and they appear scared of you, you can hit them with :6::6::A::+::B:. It gives you frame advantage on block, so it's perfectly safe to low poke/ mid poke / throw afterwards.

I don't know much about Yoshimitsu but he has a constant close range pressure. When people are afraid to come closer to you, you can always use your sitting stance teleport low sweep/mid kick mixup to force close range pressure, which is your domain.

When it comes down to the last bit of health, it's always the same thing every time. The game becomes very basic. Therefore you rely on your basics and your skills at reading the other player's mind. So whenever it happens, play safe, be patient, block their attack properly and quickly follow up with a mid poke or low poke.

Ok.
So just poke if they're around the last 10% HP?
I usually use 2K, but 4B seems to work better than 6K.
Thanks.

When the match is about to end, if anything, you should play more defensive and use your smarts to defeat your opponent then "try to outhit them with faster attacks". They'll try to mount a fat offensive using their CE and BE, so sometimes just poking safely and letting them expose themselves is the best way.

All attacks under 20 damage get a 50% reduction if the victim has orange health bar (24% hp left). This means your 14 damage 2K becomes 7 damage and obviously results in being half as efficient.

Play defensive with pokes and keep in mind of their gauge as well. The gauge would increase a bit from being swamped in a round by taking damage.

As a psychological part, most players I tend to play with become cautious of low attacks near low health. Especially 2k and sliding kicks. Also for casual matches, grabs tend to be not nearly as avoided and are great for taking down the last bit of health however, I've found that players near death are more cautious of that too (as well as grabing next to a edge). Even so, every player is different. My ideas are just generalizations from casual matches.

As for Yoshi

I recommend 8k. 8k is a wonderful jumping kick that is quite safe on block with decent damage and range. Great for punishing players. 44bB has great range and leads to combos on CH. 6b is extremely short range and is weak but probably Yoshi's fastest move. 44a has decent range and is a step killer for a backwards step move and has decent attack traps if they roll. iMCF is reliable way to finish somebody off. 66aA+B+K is a great attack trap for most rolls and for players who don't know Yoshi as well will get thrown off by the second hit or awkward hit box. Meditation moves are a great mix up for finishing off as well with sliding/low sweep/mid kick mix up. Out of all of the moves, I recommend abusing 8k a lot being very safe for it's damage output.

Thanks.
I've been playing and 8k with Yoshimitsu really does work, so thanks @Zayith.
Also, I've been almost abusing Hilde's 2B+K to end matches.

Back