Left 4 Dead or Dead Rising?

The-Instigator

[09] Warrior
Just got my first 360 (very late and proud of it) and I'm an avid zombie horror action fan... which of these two games should I get (I currently have a budget to only get one game)? Biased and/or impartial comments are welcome XP.

If you have a lot of friends to play Left 4 Dead with, absolutely go with that one. If it's just you, Dead Rising. Eventually, you're gonna want both.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and propose you buy an actual game as opposed to a storyless mod for half life 2 that requires you have playmates around to be able to fully appreciate. Especially considering you'll probably want to stick to playing with people you know and most people here have digested that game and moved on already. The AI teammates are too good on lower levels and too stupid on higher levels so the whole thing feels to me of being half a game that relies on human beings to fill in the gaps. To top matters off dead rising is a platform exclusive (left 4 dead also being available on pc and probably better with a keyboard and mouse anyhow. To say nothing of a limitless supply of user created maps and the ability to build your own with valve's free to use "Hammer" utility.). Plus you've played how many shooters versus how many zombie-journalism-survival-brawler-photography-search-and-rescue-shopping simulators? Dead Rising is truly a unique experience.

BUUUUUT that said left 4 dead is a ton of fun so long as you can get some friends together to play it and the characters have a lot of well... character. Bill's cool, Zoey's hot and the other two characters are lovable in their own way. The ai director keeps things interesting and you'll never know where danger will come from. Co-Op's a blast but Versus matches depend entirely too much on luck and there are a lot of really cheap spots on various maps where you can be automatically hanged ect resulting in controller bustin frustration. Sometimes the other team will luck out and get a tank in entirely the wrong spot as well and then you're pretty much screwed completely. On the other hand in Dead Rising Otis can single handedly drive you insane with telephone calls and if he doesn't do it some of the refugees like the worthless slow-ass Arron Swoop will give it a shot. I like them both but this "hands down" stuff is way too far. They're both good in different ways. I just don't think left for dead is really worth full game price when it feels to me like it should have been lumped into the orange box. I rented it, had a week of fun with it and I wanted more, but i just don't see any reason to buy it until it's lumped in with half-life episode three or something.

As an added point of contention dead rising is like, 3 years old and left for dead came out a few months ago. One is 8 dollars used at gamestop and the other is 44. Obtaining both if you were dead set on l4d shouldn't really be a problem but I would say don't wait for Dead Rising 2. Better you play through number one and have the extra involvement with the story and characters (IE Frank West) everyone else will, and it's a lot of fun for a low price.

Co-Op's a blast but Versus matches depend entirely too much on luck and there are a lot of really cheap spots on various maps where you can be automatically hanged ect resulting in controller bustin frustration. Sometimes the other team will luck out and get a tank in entirely the wrong spot as well and then you're pretty much screwed completely.

these issues were patched recently.

i am completely biased here, but l4d is the way to go. new dlc is coming out at the end of april and it is genuinely a ton fun with a lot of people. if you are more of a solo gamer though, it may not be right for you.

If you like single player games, are xenophobic, live in the mountains with your dog who is the only one who understands you, go into town one a month to stock up on canned goods and ammo, and look like the unibomber, then Dead Rising is for you.

Single player. The end.

If you like fun that's dependent on whether you have other live human beings to play with, good times ruining other players days, puppies, sugar laden funnel cakes, lottery jackpots, and big breasted women who want to rub you down with exotic oils then Left 4 Dead is for you.

Multiplayer. The end.

If you like single player games, are xenophobic, live in the mountains with your dog who is the only one who understands you, go into town one a month to stock up on canned goods and ammo, and look like the unibomber, then Dead Rising is for you.

Single player. The end.

This coming from a guy with a FALLOUT avatar...

I was at a Gun Show that had 448,400 total square feet of Guns, Ammo, and shooting accessories over the weekend. MY MOUNTAIN MAN BEARD IS MAD MANLY AND LONG.

ok STOP!!

left 4 dead is magnificent, a work of art even.

dead rising is unplayable to many people. i am not kidding. if you are playing it on a standard definition tv you wont even be able to read the text. it's save mechanism and death mechanics have been called the worst ever made, once more i am not kidding. finally it's utterly bizarre real time game play will seem clever at first but beyond horrible later. in short you have 3 in game days to do your things, and each day works out to 2 hours of real time. however, you have to be at point x at time y or you fail the game, and this happens about 20 times. and there is no way to speed up waiting... so you get to point x and there are about 3 hours of in game time to spare until time you literally, and i am not kidding once more, sit there and do nothing at point x for 15 minutes of real time. there will be a point later on in the game that you will, and once more i am 100 percent serious, have to be standing there staring at a wall for over an hour of real time.

the only way the game could be more flawed is if it actively red ringed your xbox once in a while, or if it sent a cyborg back in time to murder your mother before you were born as a kind of retroactive abortion.

the controls are seriously counter-intuitive and awkward as well.

if you can get past those overwhelming, indeed mind boggling, game play flaws, there is an amazing game in there as well. there are dozens (like 50 to 100) zombies on screen most of the time, there are countless weapons (basically everything in the game is a weapon with creative and entertaining uses, and it has an excellent open world experience in a huge shopping mall full of cool things to do. the first of your 3 days in the game will be awesome if you can get past all the previously mentioned monumental flaws. there is also a well done camera/photography system, some mild rpg leveling up mechanics that add spice, and a clever twist on the ending that i wont ruin (note i said twist on the ending, not the story. the story is wholly forgettable. i guess you will have to play it to understand).

oh yeah, and you can stab zombies in the face with a shower head and watch as blood sprays like, well, blood being sprayed out a shower head. some parts of it are truly top tier. then you can take the zombies picture, have the game classify the photo as comedic, and get some xp for it.

if you only buy one zombie game this year, buy left 4 dead. if you only buy 2 zombie games this year buy another copy of left 4 dead and give it to a friend.

if you see dead rising in a discount bin (like i did) and manage to snag it for about 20 bucks, it is worth the 20 bucks.

Left 4 Dead is the superior game, but with a major stipulation. If you don't have decent teammates that play on a semi-regular basis, you will enjoy L4D much, much less. The DLC is coming out soon to open up the rest of the maps to Versus mode (which is where the fun is at, unless you're masochistic) and Survival mode. If you have an Xbox Live connection and are willing to find teammates to play with, Left 4 Dead wins in a landslide.

If you prefer single player to multiplayer or have no XBL connection, Dead Rising isn't a bad consolation prize.

dead rising is unplayable to many people. i am not kidding. if you are playing it on a standard definition tv you wont even be able to read the text.
The first like three times I played it was on a standard definition TV and I made out without any problems. All quest objectives are outlined in larger text in the notebook and there's both an arrow and a minimap that show you where you're supposed to go. The text when Otis calls is small but it is readable and you don't even need to read that to make it through the game because most quests and psychopath encounters have movies associated with them. If you don't know what's going on quests are listed on the right hand side of the screen with time remaining in both text and represented as a shrinking bar of color, selecting them puts a waypoint on your map. If you still manage to make it past all these checkpoints not knowing what's going on, just listen for people yelling for help, crying or generally in distress. Heck it's not rocket science.

it's save mechanism and death mechanics have been called the worst ever made, once more i am not kidding.
Who called it the worst ever made? A lot of people complained because they didn't like missing out on something that happened that day and not being able to reload because they already saved. The horrible save mechanism is you only have one slot. Capcom stated they did this on purpose to try to make you make tough decisions about who to save and who you can't save. The death mechanic is you have a life bar and when it runs out you die. You can reload your game or restart it. Fucking scare tactics man. Gamers are coddled.

finally it's utterly bizarre real time game play will seem clever at first but beyond horrible later. in short you have 3 in game days to do your things, and each day works out to 2 hours of real time. however, you have to be at point x at time y or you fail the game, and this happens about 20 times. and there is no way to speed up waiting... so you get to point x and there are about 3 hours of in game time to spare until time you literally, and i am not kidding once more, sit there and do nothing at point x for 15 minutes of real time. there will be a point later on in the game that you will, and once more i am 100 percent serious, have to be standing there staring at a wall for over an hour of real time.
There's really no way to "fail the game." If you miss a case you can still complete the game by being at the chopper, in fact it's probably the best way to unlock weapons like the mega blaster. If you don't like how you've done or you died you can reload or save your data and carry it into a newgame, so that the next time you come back you'll keep all your gained levels. Secondly, why are you staring at a wall? If you're trying to save everybody you won't have that time and if you're not you should be killing zombies or checking out some of the awesome achievements. I've played the game like ten times and I never found myself staring at a wall with the exception of survival mode, where you want to avoid combat as much as possible.

the only way the game could be more flawed is if it actively red ringed your xbox once in a while, or if it sent a cyborg back in time to murder your mother before you were born as a kind of retroactive abortion.

the controls are seriously counter-intuitive and awkward as well.
No, not really. Maybe you had a problem aiming guns, but that's as easy to fix as toggling the switch that changes aiming from the way the camera is facing instead of the way you're moving.

Dead rising is not a bad game, but it can't compare to L4D. The text IS near unreadable on a regular TV though.
And we have not moved on from L4D.

Only game to rip me from L4D is RE5, cause Im a RE fanboy. But I still come back to L4D, cause its my favorite game. Yeah. Period. Bye SC4, SF4, all fighters I ever knew. L4D has taken ALL your spots and filled the void of missing fun that was left there after I moved on from Halo 2 and for serious busniess, Soul Calibur 2.

Dead Rising is most likely a really sweet game, the Demo was a good trip and idea of grab anything you can is beastly. But nothing, and I mean NOTHING adds up to any mode on L4D. Campain's Expert Mode will test your patience and wits, VS mode allows you to do the single most fun thing, lets you play as the infected creatures to ruin the other teams day. You'll most likely enjoy it so much you'll attempt to speed run (rambo) your turn as the survivors just so you can go back to playing the infected again. And the new survival mode(coming in the FREE DLC) is a clusterfuck of intensity, constantly throwing wave after wave of infected of all kinds, including special infected.

To agree though, L4D loses alot of its high notes when you are forced to play it solo. As it was built to be a multiplayer funfest from the ground up. And weither you play it on 360 or PC a good time is bound to be had. Just make sure you bring friends.

Back