Legendary Souls Times

pragmaticleas

[08] Mercenary
Since the other thread is closed, I'm just making another one to track my progress. I did another run today after playing the game for about a year and am pretty happy with myself :). Learning to follow a GI with the Silver Moon Combo helped cut down the time by quite a bit.

Alpha Patroklos:
12/3/2013 - 99:59:59+
17/3/2013 - 31:42:78
10/2/2014 - 6:20:75

Last edited:
Aeon: 7:15
Raphael and Ezio: about 10 mins (lack of good ringout moves prevents much better times even if i don't lose a match...)
Finished it with most characters under 20 mins

I got, like, 4:17 with OP Viola and I was number 1 on Xbox LIVE leaderboards until people started to cheat. :b

*cough*then I put my time to 0:01*cough*

I found a cool way to cheese the ai with nightmare. My best is currently a 6:58. Using sliding plus 2A+B is a pretty solid combo. Using guard break attacks mostly causes the enemy to freeze and block and lures the enemy into a trap, depending on the opponents previous actions you can even give them a full dark reconquista. 3A,A serves as a solid opener and skull chopper is the best damage dealer for punishment.

If you are interested, I recorded a 8:08 and put the succesfull fights together. It is really simple and much more fun than natsu cheese:

The AI really don't know how to fight Viola. You can spam through it with [6B+K 6B B.B.B] on repeat. They ALWAYS unblock after the 6B so you get the guaranteed orb hit and B.B.B

Yea, that is true but I am happy that I own this game since the day it was released and never selected this horrible woman a single time from the character screen :D

You are right, if you just want to win somehow you only need to repeat a single move using natsu or viola. The problem is that it is not satisfying, all the time Id wish the ai breaks the loop and slaps the dumb girl. I only feel like getting my revenge on the unfair ai if I smash them hard with a huge sword thus Im happy that this works reliably :D

There is a similar strategy for Siegfried presented by the youtuber andrewcarlgilbert, amazing stuff :)

She's fun to play as, combo-wise. She does have an unfair advantage though.

As for the AI, they all have weird bugs to their programming.
Cervantes is the most obvious. If you step his 214:B, he continues to do it until you either get hit, block, or are too far back so he ends up BT. If you continue to step this, he'll go on forever. haha

Kilik will use 22/88B somewhat often. If this happens to hit you while you're airborne, he'll buffer B+K for the combo, but since it doesn't launch, he'll sit there in remembrance stance for a second or two, allowing you to attack.

Siegfried will often cancel out of his (whichever the standard B+K stance is).A. Since this move is punishable on block, you can beat him to the attack he'll do after, usually WR B.

As for the AI, they all have weird bugs to their programming.
Cervantes is the most obvious. If you step his 214:B, he continues to do it until you either get hit, block, or are too far back so he ends up BT. If you continue to step this, he'll go on forever. haha

lol, seriously? I just wait for him to do it once while I'm far enough to not get hit then punish him. This will be a great way to waste time.

I have a little question. Do you guys thinl 14:47 with Natsu is a good time for legendary souls after roughly 350 hrs of gameplay in total?

Depending on your skill level, maybe. I think I got 7 with Natsu with about the same.
Of course, I was exploiting the CPU's bugs, so..

I have a little question. Do you guys thinl 14:47 with Natsu is a good time for legendary souls after roughly 350 hrs of gameplay in total?
I think one learns more by aiming to complete LS without getting hit (and without cheesing) than by trying to pummel the AI into the floor with offense. When attacking the AI, it getting hit is the result of its programming telling it not to “react” to a move, even though it knows your every input. It teaches some things about frames but ultimately there are too many bad habits to learn from fighting something that can only pretend to make reads or fail to react.

When defending against the AI, there’s no false uncertainty in its actions; it cannot possibly react to and counter a player's response when it's in the middle of performing an attack. There’s still some bullshit (Elysium instantly throwing out DNS B:4 when her opponent twitch ducks), but it still helps put certain defensive responses in one’s muscle memory as well as shape one’s understanding of the optimal spacing tactics against a particular character.

i think mines like 19 minutes and some seconds with natsu
and on my old account it was 14 minutes and some seconds with pyrrha

I never got past 15' with other characters, than viola. my time with her is 6:40 and I'm still not past Nightmare using mitsurugi.

I think one learns more by aiming to complete LS without getting hit (and without cheesing) than by trying to pummel the AI into the floor with offense. When attacking the AI, it getting hit is the result of its programming telling it not to “react” to a move, even though it knows your every input. It teaches some things about frames but ultimately there are too many bad habits to learn from fighting something that can only pretend to make reads or fail to react.

When defending against the AI, there’s no false uncertainty in its actions; it cannot possibly react to and counter a player's response when it's in the middle of performing an attack. There’s still some bullshit (Elysium instantly throwing out DNS B:4 when her opponent twitch ducks), but it still helps put certain defensive responses in one’s muscle memory as well as shape one’s understanding of the optimal spacing tactics against a particular character.
It´s interesting how abysmally different some people's fighting style is to LS. Siegfried and Nightmare in the hands of many people become this defensive thing that keeps you in a death zone where you can't touch them, but they can pummel you if they want to and have to be insanely good at guessing their moves to attack, while the LS they're super aggressive rabid dogs that attack like crazy, and that once you know what they're going to do, you barely break a sweat beating them.
Same with Maxi, some people are so good at zoning with the guy you have to play in a very counterintuitive manner to beat them.

Back