Making Dampierre A Better, Clever And Tricky Character

AZYG4LYFE

Play FFRK
Well, I decided it was time to start a topic on this, I'd like to see views and thoughts from other players on how PS can improve Le Bello himself.

Suggestions are welcome!

Stances
1. Fake Pain - More options from this stance.
FP K could either be something like a launching mid kick, that sends the opponent sky high (like 11B), allowing B!E! followup...or it can be a move where it can hit grounded (perhaps a similar animation to mishimas scissor kicks), and you can transition to PB, allowing a free PBK, something like that. Should also allow a bit of pushback on block and Dampierre could fall to PB (randomly)

FP A, could be a mid that catches step both directions (the animation could be Dampierre spreading his arms and the opponent will get a KND from NH and a STN on CH) and has an auto GI start up, in case your opponent blocks a move to FP, this would be a fairly reliable move to use, mainly against horizontals.

FP B+K, this should could be another auto-GI against horizontal and vertical moves but not lows, kicks or shields. With this, Dampierre will actually recover and not fall to PB, instead he will briefly hop on both feet with his arms folded (this is when the auto-GI will occur), and if he is hit in GI frames, he will randomly do either the fast B+K UB (but this should only give +18 allowing a free B!E!)a faster WRA+B UB, or just an attack that allows him to give pounce on the opponent and deliver his usual punch series.

Expanding on this I think the followup move should be determined either by:
  • Random factor
  • The GI frame that the opponent hit Dampierre on
  • Progressive build (something like alpha A+B auto GI, where his B+K UB will be the ultimate one)
FP~66, Dampierre does an evasive somersault (might randomly falls to PB during the end animation)
FP~22_88_11_77_33_99 Dampierre evades to the left and right, 8WR directions, respectively, perhaps in a sideroll to FC, this should have some TC frames, and perhaps maybe he can have a move from those siderolls to catch the opponent out?
There could be more possibilities, but evasiveness from FP can potentially allow Damp to bait for whiffs as well.

FP could potentially become a useful improvement to Dampierre's stance and mix up game (perhaps oki too) if something like this were to be implemented.

Poker Bluff
I think Dampierre could benefit from an auto GI in PB, but only for about 5 frames, successful GI will allow a guaranteed PB B, to his punch series.

Other Ideas that come to mind
  • Slightly stronger B!E! damage rewarding those who commit to the JF version and don't mash.
  • 6B BE, just change it...
  • 11kk should do slightly more damage
  • Increased chance of A+B not failing
  • 1k should a little faster, somewhere around 23 frames....otherwise keep it at the same speed with it a G cancel
  • We can spend some meter to ensure moves like 623B don't fail at all, 623B(BE), stronger damage A+B(BE) giving GC damage
  • Give him some double kicks KK, 6KK, or 6K:K (giving GC if one gets the JF)
  • 44_11_77AB should be a NC and BNc, would be nice if the followup could be delayable
  • 1K:B, 1 frame link
  • If he gets hit with a low move, he should randomly transition to FP, if he gets KND, he should randomly transition to PB
That's all I can think of atm, I haven't touched much on frame improvement as I would have hoped to, but the floor's open for ideas and discussion.
AZ

I really think all he needs to fix the glitches associated with his CE. He just fucks everyone up when he gets lucky, why change that? It'd detract from him as a character, I think.

EDIT: I meant detract from him both as a form of mid-battle characterization and basically make his spot in the roster moot since no one else relies on luck quite like Dampierre does.

Taunt super.

Too gamebreakingly awesome. Not that using his current CE as a taunt isn't awesome
awesomen.gif

a ranged attack where he throws money to blind the opponent?
im kidding on that one

actually why dotn we have a couple command grabs givin how dampierres grab range is really impressive

I have a list of things they could add to spice up his move-set.

Firstly remove his sneeze fire attack, that does nothing....replace it with a guard impact that is an Auto GI, witch does his other fire attack a+b when he rises.

Give him a whole new mechanic. Give him a stance where he yells "GRAB ME" and if your opponent does grab you then it should do 2x the damage you would have received.

I'd like to see a range attack of some sort, someone mentioned that he could chuck some money or something.

It'd be great if some of his random were actually worth it. One of his grab moves he gets on the person and starts punching them and sometimes for whatever reason, he punches the floor and then the opponent kicks them off... AND THIS DAMAGES YOU? This grab does such little damage... characters like Natsu have grabs worth 65 damage while poor Damppierre is taking damage from a grab that barely does 40. I propose they add some fire attack to the randomization...although a slim chance maybe 20% or less he can pull off a stronger fire version of the attacks.

Lastly, would it be to much if I asked for a really nice vertical attack? Those sidesteppers really kill him with ease.

If Dampierre's throw does multiple hits, wiggle your stick/mash your D-pad and mash your buttons like crazy: it significantly boosts the damage. Except the back throw. Poker Bluff B/A+G/B+G can take off a third of your health, then he's always got 11B ~ B!E! ~ 4B for half the gullible little fool's health from a single mistake. These possibilities without meter or walls. Yeah.

Don't forget, the wise opponent will counter mash our PB throws, and we risk a greater chance of taking damage too, the best we can get is 4 rounds of punches and that's it.

I'd change that mechanic in a sense that if the opponents do counter mash, we will be guaranteed the final 2 hits with a slight buff in damage.

Edit, speaking of throws

AZ

Don't forget, the wise opponent will counter mash our PB throws, and we risk a greater chance of taking damage too, the best we can get is 4 rounds of punches and that's it.

Thanks for ruining the whole point of the post :/

Let the ignorant savages learn only of the benefits! Less whining and "BUFF MY CHARA OR I STOP PLAYING" that way. By the time they'd figure it out on their own, they'd just quit playing and move onto another whim :/

I see now part of the requirements for being an SA mod is being a pro moodkiller -_-

EDIT: 623B ~ B+G all day erry day.

I have a list of things they could add to spice up his move-set.

Firstly remove his sneeze fire attack, that does nothing....replace it with a guard impact that is an Auto GI, witch does his other fire attack a+b when he rises.

Give him a whole new mechanic. Give him a stance where he yells "GRAB ME" and if your opponent does grab you then it should do 2x the damage you would have received.

I'd like to see a range attack of some sort, someone mentioned that he could chuck some money or something.

It'd be great if some of his random were actually worth it. One of his grab moves he gets on the person and starts punching them and sometimes for whatever reason, he punches the floor and then the opponent kicks them off... AND THIS DAMAGES YOU? This grab does such little damage... characters like Natsu have grabs worth 65 damage while poor Damppierre is taking damage from a grab that barely does 40. I propose they add some fire attack to the randomization...although a slim chance maybe 20% or less he can pull off a stronger fire version of the attacks.

Lastly, would it be to much if I asked for a really nice vertical attack? Those sidesteppers really kill him with ease.

actually i was thinking of a move similar to tira's. where he auto GI an attack and then imediatly grabs you. i was thinking the command grab would be where he does the cossack dance over your body and could be extended for extra hits.

it would look like this except faster and with more FLAIR!!!

also that counter grab stance could work really well. he yells "GRAB ME" then the other person grabs him then dampierre slides between their legs and hits their croth like a speed bag in boxing. XD

Wow thanks for the input. It's not that I don't specifically like damp's current style... i just don't like the fact that it takes forever to kill a person, and thought he might move up in the ladder if he had a we more tools to work with. Or maybe it's me? Is anyone else playing damp running close to timing out nearly every game?

On a side note, can someone please explain the significance of the sneeze attack? Does it do anything? I've landed it a few times but it literally did nothing. Maybe there's a trick to this I haven't figured out?

Lastly that little mans dance would make for a nice move!

Over a year ago I made a thread in the SCBD Dampierre SA with my idea for a potential playstyle with him.

Keep in mind this was before Dampierre was even announced as an SCV character, so I didn't know that his style would be kept almost exactly the same, and I assumed that 17 years would have altered him quite a lot, so this idea was based on that:

I've been using Dampierre quite a lot, probably more than anybody. On my way to work I always practice SCBD and pretty much only use him, so I'm quite fond of his character design and movelist. I'm really hoping that he will return in SCV.

Anyways to cut straight to the point, here are some basic ideas for Dampierre in SCV, hopefully Project Soul will read this. :)

17 years later Dampierre is old, and has failed at life. Having been exposed by the world to be a con artist, nobody trusts him and he has lost all of his wealth. He is very poor now, wearing raggedy poor man's clothes, and to wash his sorrows away he has also developed a drinking problem.

Yes, a drinking problem. Now while the drunken fighter style has been used in many fighting games, Lei from Tekken, Brad Wong from DoA, Bo Rai Cho from MK, Shun Di from VF, Chin Gentsai from KoF, and I'm sure the list goes on, I believe that Dampierre has the potential to be really unique when it comes to fighting drunk thanks to the random element in his fighting style.

Basically, my vision of Dampierre goes like this: He still has his hidden sleeve knives, but he also has a bottle attached to his waist. During gameplay he can drink from it, using his taunt, as well as certain moves.

As the fight begins, Dampierre won't be very drunk, and he will have no or almost no random moves. Throughout the fight, using taunt as well some fighting moves, the player can choose to have him drink more. The more he drinks the more his fighting style changes slightly. As he gets more drunk he will become funnier and have more random attacks. He will become a bit more powerful but at the same time a bit more risky because of his randomness.

In SCBD I really loved the random element that he had to him, but aside from being a trickster, there wasn't much reason behind his randomness. I believe being a drunk is the perfect reason, plus it will make him even funnier, which will suit him as the main comic relief character of Soul Calibur.

Tell me what you think, and please post your ideas as well. :)

Back