Mantis Crawl and Landfish thread

BrewtusBibulus

Get your eSports on!
This is going to be a list of Voldo Block Strings... Basically moves if used consecutively after being guarded cannot be interupted without some kind of evasion or GI. This is a VERY INCOMPLETE List because I dont have the ability to test everything but I want to get it rolling so noobs can see whats up with Voldo's lockdown

44, MCHT A+B_66 (K might work as well but I havent tested that just yet).
MCHT 66, MCHT A+B
MCHT 6A+K, MCHT A+B (the reason I notate 6A+K when it is really A+K is you can control where you go in the air and there is never really a reason not to just hold forward when you do it... Also I havent tested this in practice mode but I havent gotten interupted unless I tried to do it too early and it didnt come out at all)

Ok those are 3 examples I wanted to start with just to show the kind of lockdown potential V has from MCHT Head Toward Specifically not FT because MCFT A+B will roll away from them... So you start with 44 which hits twice, cant get interupted and leaves you in MCHT... on hit you get combos... not going there right now... on guard you can do MCHT A+B or 66 and the opponent cant interrupt unless they do some kind of GI or jump and if you do MCHT 66 and THAT gets guarded too MC A+B can still interrupt anything they want to do.

How this impacts gameplay - Why does it help to know all this? At first its gonna seem awesome and your gonna be like hey I can just do this all day and its lockdown city but when your opponents learn how to defend it you need to apply mixups on them with MCHT K or more pressure with MCHT 6A+K to keep the MC pressure on

well....In SC3
44, BT 2B+K both are pretty great moves leading you into MCHT games.

But In SC4 ,44 get less frame adv, even 44>MCFT K can be interrupted ,also the second part of 44 is GIable.
BT 2B+K has better Block frame than 44 ,but its range getting nerf a lot, :( ( works fine only you're in blank range.

I just found something interesting about Mantis Crawl. It can be crouch thrown only when Voldo is moving otherwise standing throws work instead.

Hm...I never knew that.

I was always under the impression that standing throws didn't work on Voldo during MC.

That's good to know.

Standing throws don't work on him during MC, so I'm not sure what situation they're getting that in. Absolutely right about the crouch throw not working though, so that's good to know.

Standing throws don't work on him during MC, so I'm not sure what situation they're getting that in. Absolutely right about the crouch throw not working though, so that's good to know.

Go into to practice mode and have voldo enter MC. Make sure he is not moving AT ALL, and he can be thrown with standing throws.

Go into to practice mode and have voldo enter MC. Make sure he is not moving AT ALL, and he can be thrown with standing throws.

Okay, it works sometimes for some people. It's really weird...Astaroth can only throw him when he's head towards. Cassy can throw him from both sides, but when he's feet towards she has to walk into him to do it. Voldo is the same. Yun can't grab him on either side. So it's a very individual thing.

What are some good moves/combos that put you into mantis crawl? everytime I try to get into mantis crawl combo It leaves me in the open to get hit what is there a good combo that puts you into this stance to do the combos which requires you to be in it?

44[K] for anyone who's being aggressive against you, they'll end up moving forward while you end up HT behind them.

During several combos, 44 or 1[K] into MC is guaranteed, so you can remain with the 66 pressure or mix it up with LF.

6:6B, 66B, 6:6B, 44 MC 66 (distance dependent ~ )

1[K] 2B+K, MC 66 ~

There's a lot of others in the combo thread ~

I'm liking BCR B+K, is lately getting opponents to freeze for a second and it's somewhat evasive ;

from BS, 2_8 [A+K] evades into MC --

These are what I use, best advice is to really get good at mixing up the transitions between mantis crawl and knowing what to do whether they step, if you connect your hits etc. Practice them like mad =)

-Manta-

Yeah my buddy Lobo found this out while playing Enkindu. I had my doubts at first too when me told me tonight on our drive down to meet up with the local competition but we tested it first thing when we got there and I can confirm that it does indeed work exactly as described in this thread.

Yeah my buddy Lobo found this out while playing Enkindu. I had my doubts at first too when me told me tonight on our drive down to meet up with the local competition but we tested it first thing when we got there and I can confirm that it does indeed work exactly as described in this thread.

I told Lobo on flashchat becuase I couldn't understand why I couldn't get a crouch throw to work.

wht about MCFT/MCHT 6A+K/A+K, can ast A+G it?

I don't think so. When I tried it he was too low.

Something else weird I saw was I could grab MC with Sophie while standing as long as he had gone into MC from LF didnt matter if he was moving or not.

I don't think so. When I tried it he was too low.

Something else weird I saw was I could grab MC with Sophie while standing as long as he had gone into MC from LF didnt matter if he was moving or not.

If this is true we really need to study this more.

G´day folks!
The last days I have been thinking a little about LF (or Superwyrm as it´s also called, but I´ll stick with Landfish). Until recently I´ve only been using it sparingly. During a V mirror I noticed how I occasionally froze on LF mixup and at times even felt locked down. I thought that integrating this often neglected stance a little more into my flow so that it´s usage is at least on par with MC might improve my game, general mixup and unpredictability.

1. Getting into LF:
Just from the top of my head. Dunno If I missed something. I included transitions into MC as you can quickly move on to LF by pressing 2 or 8.

LFHT:
  • 4[K]
  • BS 2B+K 2_8
  • BS 236B+K 2_8
  • 44B 2_8
    [*]66[A]
    [*]And all other ways to MCHT 2_8

LFFT:
  • 2_8[A+K] 2_8
  • 2B+K 2_8
  • 236B+K 2_8
  • 44[K] 2_8
  • And all other ways to MCFT 2_8

You can change direction by pressing A+K which is also a low hit.

2. What to do?

Ok so now we´re in LF. Goodie. What are our options?

LF A:
Low hit. Granted, LF A sadly is a tad slow, but it´s the only low you´ve got if you don´t wanna change direction with A+K. Doesn´t really seem safe on block.

LF B:
Kinda my staple. Pretty fast mid, stuns and eats soul gauge for breakfast. NC I think.

LF K:
A backflip, will hit in the direction of Voldo´s legs. Useful to surprise unsuspecting opponents after crawling away from them with LF B.

LF A+B:
Jolly unblockable, so slow you can go take a leak, get yourself a beer, come back and the animation´s still not about to finish. I don´t advise to use this until you´ve conditioned your opponent to expect the other LF options and even then it´s risky if your opponent is good. Using it in the corner might help, as it tracks a little.

LF A+K:
Voldo turns around and thrusts himself where is head is facing now. Hits low and can catch people of guard. Most of the time I use this when I´m at a distance to switch between directions. Also useful if your in MCFT and wanna get into MCHT (MCFT 2_8 A+K 2_8).

LF B+K:
Fuck yeah, V´s doing the crawl! He flings his arms around like mad and moves in the direction his head is facing. You´re on the ground and out of LF afterwards, so it would be possible to go into MCHT with B+K.
Comboender in CH 66[A] LF A LF B+K.

It should be noted that if you do three moves (either LF A or LF B) in direct succession Voldo will have a greater recovery during which he will hiss and wriggle about in an incredibly disgusting but yet arousing manner. This can be avoided by waiting a few frames after your first or second move, possibly netting you a CH. Sadly, this takes away a lot of Landfish´s pressure. It might be good for making your opponent puke though. Or get a boner.

Or both.

Note: It is possible to cancel the long "hissing"-recovery with B+K, catching people trying to punish you.
(Thanks to Outkast)

But I digress. So we end up with following shenanigans:
  • Mixing up LF A and LF B
  • LF K and LF A+K for spacing and stuff
  • LF A+B on conditioned opponents or ones who are more likely to freeze (use very sparingly)
  • Moving away with LF K, baiting CH´s
  • LF + MC + A+K-evades as a general mixup tool -> unpredictability and keeping up the flow, mindfuck potential

That´s everything I can think of for now. How do *you* use LF? Do you use it at all? I´m really curious as to what can be done with it. I don´t think its potential is incredibly high, but it still has it´s place and it´s often underestimated and underused.

Thanks for reading :)

Very nice stuff, thanks for displaying all the info.

Should also mention when timed right, LF B while opponents are grounded give a 'infinite' stun while they're grounded, if they guard, roll, or try and tech, unless they get hit twice.

-Manta-

Back