Match Up Notes & Discussion - Z.W.E.I vs Leixia

AndyrooSC

IVE WAITED FOR THIS!!!
(this first post shall be updated overtime with new finds and the discussion below)

Overview of character: :sc5lei1:

Properly one of the very few characters with GB pressure game what surpasses ZWEIs. Leixia is a close range fighter with fast and/or safe tools at her disposal to keep frame traps and pressure going while hitting the guard meter quite hard. It should be noted that she is quite deadly when the wall or ring edge is behind them with a variety of moves to splat the opponent including a aGI what GIs 2A. Her punishment ain't half bad either.

General Strategy: :sc5zwe1: vs :sc5lei1:

Close range+ frame traps, no thanks. Zoning this character and punishing mistakes is ideal and dont let her get in your face without good reason. Also one of Leixia's weakness is her damage output, that is something ZWEI excels in so take good rewarding risks to get bigger damage to make her have to work 3 times as hard as you make up for it. I would also go for max damage rather than sets ups in this MU also because Leixia has ways out of certain ones.(crybaby)

Useful Notes:
Break A more than B. A does 10 more damage and you cant tech afterwards. Unless your back is to the ring then tech B.
66B+K is a viable way to escape some of her frame traps, plus unless she has meter or makes a strong read the damage you take will be bearable.
B+K tracks to the left side, the side of WRB and 1B+K

Recommended whiff punishes:

66A+B - Yes. go for that step try and read a FC 3B or a WRB BE and get this whiff punish. The 66A+B > 4(A+B) combo is 89 damage and thats meterless. It takes her 2 meterless launchers and abit more to get that damage.

WRB - Another risk you can go for is guessing highs like AA, 22A, 66A and ducking which would get you a WRB launch. Meterless thats 81 damage and with meter its 100+.

66BA/ A+B - not max damage but easier to react and punish.

Spacing Tools:

Close range

Backstep B+K - Shoutout to ZeroEffect for telling me about a interesting property of B+K. This move is moves ZWEI immune to RUN counter during the animation, this is very useful in this MU if Leixia makes a read on your backstep and goes for 66BB it will not combo because it isn't going to be counter hit.

7K - 7K plus backstep puts you out of range of all Leixia's attacks expect 66BB and CE which would punish you. Its a good way to bait these out. Plus with the newly found backstep B+K that makes one of her few counters ALOT less damaging, from 64 damage(100 with meter) to 14 damage and thats a big deal to Leixia.

66A+B- If the first hit is blocked they must either JG, GI or block the second hit. Once blocked you're at +5 and pushed just outside of her 3B range with a good amount of guard damage done as well. HOWEVER LEIXIA IS 1 OF 3 CHARACTERS WHO CAN CE AFTER BLOCKING THE FIRST HIT OF 66A+B AND PUNISH IT, WATCH THEIR METER INCASE.

Mid range

A+B - This move tip range makes it unpunishable except by her CE, breaks in 10.

B+K - A safe mid with abit of pushback.

Long range

1(B) - Far outta Leixia's range you can be max holding some 1(B). This gets you free meter while preventing the opponent from running straight in.

Punishment.

:A::A:
- The first A has small range and if your out of range you can duck and punish the second A with WRB. JGing the first A also works too.
:A::A::B: - The B is -15 on block however AA and 4KB are out of range and BB whiffs. You can K punish for 14 damage, 6B for 12 damage but be at +7 or go for a guard break or throw mix up. You can JG it and get a 3B punish and even GI it but you have to commit which is risky because of AA delay BE.
:6::(A): - if Leixia holds forward this attack is -14. It TCs under AA and 6B so punish with 2A or 3K. However if she doesnt do the hold version 2A and 3k are out of range so you can go for 2k which is in range and a mix up.
:3::A::A: - The second hit is -8 on guard. On JG its -13 for a K punish or mix up. It can be GI'd and also aGI'd with 6A+B.
:1::(A): - When you see her drop to the floor you can 2B or 2K before she has time to crybaby or block.
WR :A: - Often used to catch step from the ground, its only -10 on block but -19 on JG so 3B punish.
:B::B: - This can be JG'd on reaction. However even though its -13 on JG, 2A punishes it aswell even though 2A is i14. This is better because it leaves you at +8 rather than +2 from a K punish.
:6::B::A: - The second hit is a high, punish with WRB.
:6::B::aB: - To duck in case of the A and to beat this out you must do WRB as fast as possible which is hard enough in training. Instead duck see her charge up and step to her left and 66A+B whiff punish.
:3::B: - Her 3B is -13 thats a K punish or go for a GB or mix up.
:4::B::B: - The second hit is step-able. Step and whiff punish 22K
:4::B::K: - If you step and 22K as fast as possible you will beat it out but its difficult. Step and 2A or 4B BE is easier. If you know they are going to 4BK then you can JG it as its -28 and you get a 66BA/3B punish.
FC :3::B: - This launcher is -10 on block which is annoying safe enough to move around afterwards because she can AA you out of 214B or 66A+B, if u do block it try for a blocking mix up or quick delay then attack. Ways around it if you see it coming are to JG it because its -17 and 4B BE or step and 66A+B.
FC :3::bB: - You can react to this move and JG or jump or step. The most damaging option is to step and 22K. on JG its only -15 so not worth it but jumping with 9B or 9K if there back is to the wall is the easiest option.
WR :B: - This evasive move gets her out of alot of pressure but on block its -18 so 4B BE or move out the way and 66A+B whiff punish.
:6::K: - This move is -16. Close range BB punishes it, Mid range only 6B punishes and tip range ZWEI cant punish it.
:6::K::K: - The second hit is also -16 but the only punish he gets is B. On JG its -23 so 66BA or 3B. The delayed version can be stepped and punished with 66A+B.
:2::K: - If you guessed right and blocked 2K you can 2A punish and be at +8.
:1::K: - This low can be blocked and jumped on reaction. Its safe on block so jumping with 9B is the best option(9K whiffs because Leixia is ducked).
:1::K::K: - The second K can be jumped over with 9B or GI'd.
:8::K: - This move is -14 on block. AA punish or go for GB attack or blocking mix up.
:A+B: - This 2 hit move is -14 on block, ZWEI only gets 6B or K close up. On JG its -25 so 66BA/3B punish. It can be GI'd too.
:(A+B): - The hold version does alot more guard damage so its best to JG or step to Leixias left and 66A+B.
:6::A+B: - This move is -12 on block. No punish but can go for a GB attack or blocking mix up.
:3::A+B: - This move is -10 on block. But its possible to JG that second hit and its -19 on JG so 3B punish.
:2::A+B: - This is a reactable low its -21 so 4B BE punish.
:4::A+B: - The second hit of this move has to be either GI'd, JG'd or blocked. Its -10 on block, on JG its -17 so 4B BE however GI is the easy option but gets beat by the other string option.
:4::A+B::B: - The second hit can be stepped so when you see the charge up step and 66A+B dont step to early incase she does the just the 4A+B otherwise it will hit you.
FC :A+B: - This is a seeable low what can be jumped on reaction. Jump and 3B. 9B whiffs.
WR:A+B: - A low then a high. If you guess right and block low then punish with WRB.
WR:A+B::B: - Even if you get hit by WR A+B you can still block or jump this extra low. Its safe on block so 9B.
WR:A+B: :bB: - This break attack low can be stepped so when you see electricity then step and 3B
WD :A+B: - Cry baby is used to get out of oki and set up situations. On hit its -15 so if it hits you always 2B on block though its -26 punish with CE :)
:2::B+K: - The break attack is -27 on JG punish with 66BA/3B the quake stun is -14 but ZWEI is out of range but you can 9B it.
:3::B+K::K: - The second hit can be stepped whiff punish with 66A+B.
:(6)::A: - This move is -14 on block, punish with AA.
:(6)::A::A: - The second hit will punish you if you try to punish the first hit, it is also safe. Not on JG though its -23 so punish with 66BA/3B.
:(1)::A: - this move is -16 punish with WRK because if she trys 11AA WRK will also beat it out.
:(4)::(A): - The second hit is high, duck and punish with WRB.
:(4)::aB: - This is +4 on block and wrecks guard so step or JG on reaction. On JG its -18 so 4B BE and if you step it whiff punish with 66A+B.
:(6)::B::B: - ZWEI cant step this move normally, its save on block you need JG it, its -15 on JG so 4KB.
:(6)::B: :bB: - This version of the 66BB series can be stepped really easily, step and punish with 66A+B. Also its possible to opt for the JG on 66BB then still step the break attack and punish.
:(3)::B: - This is -13 on block, punish with K.
:(3)::B::B: - The second hit will punish you if you try punish the first hit, Its also -13 on block so K punish. On JG its -18 so 4B BE punish and can be GI'd too.
:(8)::B: - This move is -13 on block. K punish or GB attack or block mix up. On JG its -20, A+B punish.
:(4)::B: - This move is -22 on block, punish with A+B.
:(4)::B::4: - If you try to punish 44B with A+B and she uses the aGI then it will be countered. Punish the aGI attempt by running up and 66A+Bing the aGI whiff.
:(6)::K: - This Kick uses as oki is -10 on block. it can be stepped to her right and punished with 66BA. On JG its -21, punish with 3B.
:(8)::K: - A practically unseeable low. If you guess right its -16 on block, punish with WRK.
:(8)::kA: :K: - After blocking the mid she does another mid before a steppable 50/50. opt to JG it as its safe due to this string being 100% hit confirmable.
:(8)::kA: :K: :B: - The last hit can be stepped. Step and whiff punish with 66A+B.
:(8)::kA: :K: :K: - The last hit can also be stepped. Step and whiff punish with 66A+B.
:(4)::K: - This kick is netrual on block and does a tons of guard damage. You can step this on reaction and 66A+B whiff punish.
RUN :K: - Its -22 on block and leaves you in FC, punish with 4B BE.
:A::A: :BE: - On block the last hit is neutral and on JG its -7 so still completely safe. You can step the final hit and 22K punish. If after the AA the BE is not delayed you can GI straight away. If she wishes to delay it then you can step it to her left and 66A+B whiff punish.
:A::A: :BE: :K: - Treat this exactly like her 4B series. You can step and 22K but it has to be perfect. You can JG the break attack then she is at -27 punish with 66BA/3B.
WR:B: :BE: - By using some meter her WRB gets alot better, it gets a aGI and becomes a 3 hit attack which is safe. Its Possible to JG the last hit and get a K punish or GB attack mix up.
:CE: - Her CE is -20, punish with A+B.

Last edited:
Just finished the rest ^^
Yo. Decent guide man. Just want to point out a couple things.
1. For the 22K/22kA series, I wouldn't go for any kind of aGI on the 2nd mid, imo. That string is 100% hit confirmable. If she stops, you whiff GI and get punished. Better off waiting to JG the 2nd/3rd hit, or just challenge her frames for not committing. I don't think 22K is reactable either... I've never seen anyone who blocks it consistently.

2. One of the best Zwei tactics in close if you have space behind you is poking with single A/single B/2K whatever and then doing backdash B+K. B+K has a weird property that make Zwei IMMUNE to Run counter. In other words, if Lex reads your backstep, 66BB will not combo.

3. 66B+K is also viable to escape frame traps. And unless Lex has meter, (or makes a great sidestep read), you really don't take too much dmg.

Last edited:
Yo. Decent guide man. Just want to point out a couple things.
1. For the 22K/22kA series, I wouldn't go for any kind of aGI on the 2nd mid, imo. That string is 100% hit confirmable. If she stops, you whiff GI and get punished. Better off waiting to JG the 2nd/3rd hit, or just challenge her frames for not committing. I don't think 22K is reactable either... I've never seen anyone who blocks it consistently.

2. One of the best Zwei tactics in close if you have space behind you is poking with single A/single B/2K whatever and then doing backdash B+K. B+K has a weird property that make Zwei IMMUNE to Run counter. In other words, if Lex reads your backstep, 66BB will not combo.

3. 66B+K is also viable to escape frame traps. And unless Lex has meter, (or makes a great sidestep read), you really only take too much dmg.
Thanks man! will add that :)

I've talked to Cross of Ravens about the B+K thing too. It's probably because that move is the only one where the wolf attacks by itself. So since Zwei isn't actually doing anything he doesn't register a CH? I dunno but it's damn annoying.

Double post: B+K also tracks a bit to the left (WS B/1B+K side).
As much as people love A+B and 66A+B, I think B+K is Zwei's best move hands down. But maybe I'm biased because Lex is one of like 2 characters who auto evades to everyone's tracking side

I've talked to Cross of Ravens about the B+K thing too. It's probably because that move is the only one where the wolf attacks by itself. So since Zwei isn't actually doing anything he doesn't register a CH? I dunno but it's damn annoying.
I think your right because the same thing is happening with B+K BE too(no CH). Im just thinking of the backstep counters it gets me out of other than Leixias, for example Yoshi 66B, Maxi 6A, Xiba 6A, Mitsu B6 and less damage taken from a usual backstep catch, for example Pats 66B bnb does 77 damage and counter hit it does 84 damage.

ZWEIs best move is obviously 6K :P. But yeah i have to agree with you there.

Back