Matchup Discussion: Leixia VS. Astaroth

I feel like Just Guards are of huge importance in this matchup, moreso than in most others. Because so many of Astaroth's spacing moves are slow, they are much easier to JG on reaction. Landing just one is the difference between getting pushed out for the eighth time in a row, taking massive guard damage, and stopping his pushback cold, getting a solid punishment opportunity to get in and wear him down.

To help train yourself for this, go it to training and spar with the max-difficulty AI for a bit. Taking special note of whatever he's using on you at a distance. Then pick the 3 most annoying of them, record Astaroth's doing each of these moves in a separate recording slot, then set the dummy as follows...

1st action: Guard All
2nd action: Playback, Random

Tap the dummy with one of your own spacing moves, then practice, practice, practice.
JG until you get it 10 times in a row, then practice evading the moves entirely with backsteps and sidesteps until you narrowly dodge 10 times. Now go back and do JG's again. Repeat this whole process with frame delay on to help with online if you want, but don't beat yourself up if you still can't JG slow attacks on 3-bar connections.

If the JG's are really giving you trouble, switch the AI to Leixia's and pick Astaroth, then set her to Just Guard all. Use those same moves as Astaroth, and pay special attention to what stage of the attack animation he's in (in other words, mentally pause at the moment of the JG and find something that visually sticks out to you such as how far down his ax is, or where his arm is located).

i feel this match up along with most of her match ups are a uphill struggle. you have to play twice as well as your opponent' to even come close to making it competitive. frame traps may help but sooner or later your going to have to block and take a mix up. this game just doesn't favour the fast characters short ranged characters if your short ranged and fast your just going to have to make better reads to survive and if you do terrible damage like leixia does, it just means you have to get lucky or work ten times harder to win. trying to space astaroth just plays in to his hands a slow match of i hit you hit me will only play into his hands further. you have to continue to attack and try not to be so caught up on blocking when your at disadvantages. he only needs 2 grabs to win, Leixia has to hit him 20 times.

i feel this match up along with most of her match ups are a uphill struggle. you have to play twice as well as your opponent' to even come close to making it competitive. frame traps may help but sooner or later your going to have to block and take a mix up. this game just doesn't favour the fast characters short ranged characters if your short ranged and fast your just going to have to make better reads to survive and if you do terrible damage like leixia does, it just means you have to get lucky or work ten times harder to win. trying to space astaroth just plays in to his hands a slow match of i hit you hit me will only play into his hands further. you have to continue to attack and try not to be so caught up on blocking when your at disadvantages. he only needs 2 grabs to win, Leixia has to hit him 20 times.

That pretty much sums it up.

Easter egg against Astaroth:

He's so fat that in 90% of CH 8B+K Leixia won't jump over him. This guarantees the following combo:
CH 8B+K AA BE 3B 3B+K, works only on Astaroth.

He's so fat that in 90% of CH 8B+K Leixia won't jump over him. This guarantees the following combo:
Yooo, does this work post guard burst as well? How much damage is that?

good find Kalas, will give this a shot for sure ive got to say i admire your leixia keep it up.
lets hope it doesnt get nerfed like all the new tech she seems to have.

You just repeated what I said.
Not necessarily. It was more the two remarks about spacing and him busting your guard up, then me sort of writing what I was thinking about the matchup as a whole, which could be construed as sort of trying to steal what you said or whatever. So repeating your idea could be just viewed as me agreeing. And now that I reread it, I either misread or looked over the last line where you said spacing/turtling gets your guard broken. So whatever it was a mistake.

Not necessarily. It was more the two remarks about spacing and him busting your guard up, then me sort of writing what I was thinking about the matchup as a whole, which could be construed as sort of trying to steal what you said or whatever. So repeating your idea could be just viewed as me agreeing. And now that I reread it, I either misread or looked over the last line where you said spacing/turtling gets your guard broken. So whatever it was a mistake.

It's cool I didn't mean it offensively.
About the matchup I played him again and yes you do can frame trap Astaroth really easily.
For example he can't really do anything after your 2K on hit if you follow it up with 2A unless he jumps.
If he tries to move you do WR A for a juicy CE combo. If he knows this you can do mindgames with him and keep on 2K'ing or even grab him.

That's also pretty much the same foe your others -2 frametrap moves such as 4A, 4K, WR K. Also at -2 if you throw CE it will score a CH WHATEVER he tries to do.

Astaroth is really scary. But if you don't let him move he can't do his damage.

3B ~ 6A+B combos vs Astaroth for 49 dmg per launch. (better than the 41 from 3B+K). Also means 44[A], AA(BE), 3B, 6A+B combos for 100 dmg.
Yeah actually there are a few characters against whom this works. We should make a list of them. We need all the extra damage we can get.

It's a bug and should be banned immediately. She is not supposed to get so much damage off of a staple launcher.

Imagine the massive damage she would get if she uses it after FC3B.

Clearly the solution is to nerf 22K again and add 3 damage to her CE. That'll fix the problem.

You guys are hilarious.

Is it better to jump over or JG 1AA, or are both equally good? You can do both of them on reaction.

Is it better to jump over or JG 1AA, or are both equally good? You can do both of them on reaction.
From close range, JG will give you a meter bonus and allow a FC 3B punish. If you are too far out for that, jumping forwards can help close the range for a punish.

I miss 66A+K :(

I just remember the match-up as "You have a shot as long as you don't get grabbed" :P I especially dislike the grounded grab where he gets +11 frame advantage - you can't even do anything evasive with that kind of disadvantage! :(

So that's +11? Didn't think it was that much e_e

Unrelated, but with the mentioning of grabs.. I want my crouch grab and command grab back T__T 6AB isn't doing it for me. It doesn't even look right.

About Asta's brave rush. If you think it's incoming, instead of doing a quick low to stop it, you want to JG the second part to get about any punish you want (well not 44[A] but you know what I mean).

It's easier to JG than Pyrrha's 66B BE so I wouldn't even call that a risk, it's guaranteed damage.

Back