Matchup Discussion: Leixia VS. Viola

I'm just going to bump this up because this is by far my hardest matchup.. I certainly suck against other characters, but Viola is the reason I even have alts in the first place..

Is there even such a thing as a counter pick to Viola? No idea what she even struggles with honestly.

As far as tips, I'd say try to recognize the orb recalls and duck and punish. Or use 3B/3B+K to TC the orb recalls.

Crybaby will beat alot of that 6B+K nonsense on wakeup where you have to block the orb behind you. (If crybaby hits her the orb stops)

Step a lot at range and make sure you punish her 3B with 6B as often as possible. It's small damage but leaves you at good frame advantage for a quick 66K followup.

If she does the BE where she hits you and the orb does 3 additional hits, (I think it's 44A(BE)) you can GI the orb attack since it's obvious and get free damage that way too.

That's it that I know, other than that Viola's pretty stupid too.

You can 44B+K the orb.
For example VS AAB or BBB. It's really useful on BBB since it's completely safe, even if you duck the orb.
Depending on the range, you get a free 3B ~ 6A+B or 6A+B.

Tech crouches are of paramount importance in this matchup. 3B, the 3A series, 1A, and 3B+K are your best friends here.

Be wary of using 4K, AA, 6B, and 6A as well. Viola has many TC moves that can easily lead to eating a 60+ damage combo on your whiff.

Be patient during her block strings. Find the right moment to step or duck, then counter hard.

Violas I've played seem to rely heavily on her low kick that looks like Leixia's 22K in order to get in. Counter with 9B or a sidestep to scare her into sticking to mids.

Because of Viola's, "Must land a combo" mindset, she tends to turtle up and wait for so she can simply out damage her hopponent by landing a few strings. Leixia can take advantage of this with a solid throw/guard break game. The more patient player typically wins in this matchup. Leixia absolutely cannot crack by taking stupid risks here.

Later this week I'll try to get some solid info on anti-Viola strategies for you all.

Thanks for the tips I'll keep that in mind.. I just suck against Viola in general unless I use Pyrrha or Nightmare..

Unless I'm misremembering, QS actually take you out of range of Viola's weird "Jump forward and land on your knees Low attack" (66K? I have no clue), i.e. if you QS when she does it, she'll whiff and you can then 22_88B her in the face.

Viola's CE doesn't hit grounded. If she does it when you're knocked down (because she's stupid), don't immediately block it so you'll be forced to stand up. Leixia has one of the few moves in the game (if not the only one?) that can beat Viola's CE in Crybaby. Now Viola can just space you and shit, but at least this will allow Leixia to mix-up with rolls and Crybaby to lessen the amount of time Viola gets free mix-ups, to prevent viola from getting a free UB and possibly to get out of the CE shennanigans altogether with well-timed Crybabies and rolls.

You can 44B+K the orb.
For example VS AAB or BBB. It's really useful on BBB since it's completely safe, even if you duck the orb.

For her string recalls, I found 1A is pretty golden here. It'll TC the recall and land a CH if she tries anything. (Step, attack, backstep.) She can block it if you TC BBB, but you're safe and chip away at the guage some while you're at it. Easy to do on reaction with practice.

I play Viola. Look me up on XBL if you want some fun matches. Plus, I have a freakshow of CAS's I like to show off.

You can 44B+K the orb.

In general, Viola's BBB is unsafe on block. Regardless of whether she has the orb or not. AA or 4K dumb play like that.

BBB 6B+K (the move with which she summons the orb) is unsafe though and that string can be interrupted, I think that's what he means. In any case it's a good tip because Leixia can interrupt Viola's blockstrings well.

BBB 6B+K (the move with which she summons the orb) is unsafe though and that string can be interrupted, I think that's what he means. In any case it's a good tip because Leixia can interrupt Viola's blockstrings well.
yes BBB into any pressure or block stings can be countered by using a fast TC attack like 6 A+B, 3B+K or by ducking into a WR move leixia has good tools to counter viola's block strings.
one of the reason's she does well vs her.

She does well in those situations, sure. But Viola can still pressure without her string recalls. (AAB and BBB). And all of Viola's launchers TC and are only AA or 6B punishable at worst except her 1B. If she makes you block those launchers while using SET 6B+K, they are now advantage on block and giver her a free 50/50.

Leixia has answers but it just seems as though she's guessing for her life more times than not.

Leixia has answers but it just seems as though she's guessing for her life more times than not.
I agree 100% with this statement.. I know I'm terrible against Viola regardless but that definitely seems to be the case when I use Leixia against her.. It seems as though there are times when I'm able to absolutely punish Viola and other times where I seem helpless..

This is probably known by most Leixia users, but it's important to know so I'll say it again - if you block Viola's SET 3B, you can always punish with 6KK. On top of that, 66A (one of Viola's better mid-range step killers) can be AA punished.

You should make sure to take advantage of this, because block punishing is one of the few factors where Leixia outshines Viola.

Viola's 6B+K, 2B+K and 4A+B do not agree with you.

I never mentioned those moves. I was just talking about 3B. If she doesn't have the orb on her, you can ALWAYS punish with 6KK. If she does, then the pushback at max range is too far to punish, but then she doesn't get as good a juggle afterwards...

Oh, and another important thing to note: 3B and 33_99BB are safe in this matchup provided you space them well.

When SET 3B was used after 6B+K it's actually positive on block.

I was thinking that maybe it's possible to react to SET 6B+K mixups (like, trying to interrupt Viola with 2A or 2K) but I tried that myself and now I don't know. 3A is the biggest problem imo, SET 6B+K > 3A on hit combos into 3B for a total of 100-120 dmg (or even worse with B+K BE for a half life+ combo). 3A cannot be stepped, on block it's also + frames with SET 6B+K and the orb hits grounded. So it's a win-win situation for Viola, no matter what happens she always has the advantage or gets free damage.

Yeah 3A is the best move, I'm not sure why Viola players use 6B, maybe range? But 3A means you can't even step.

The 6B+K traps seem to good atm. I think the hitstun needs to be reduced so that 3B can't launch afterwards. Getting a safe mid/low mix-up on its own is pretty awesome. Launch combo is too much.

Back