Matchup Discussion Thread

Any tips against Natsu? This matchup seems pretty hard for Aeon because he cannot punish A,A,B, 66B and 33_99A,B. On the bright side, Aeon's 66A cannot be punished by Natsu's A or A6 (not sure about A:6), 8B is pretty good against bombs and 4B+K_B+K~G works well against her since most of the strong moves are high or low (apart from the sick 66B).

I'm having a tournament next weekend and two good Natsu players are going to be there. I'm not sure if Aeon would be a good pick against them.

i feel like Aeon is a better matchup against Natsu than you might think. if you try setting up a command grab early, it can make some Natsu's a little paranoid about coming too close, which gives you an advantage. 66A is your friend, but 66A+B is also a good option to push her back and stop her from trying to rush you down. if you can stay in the mid range and dictate the pace, you should do ok. this is just from my limited experience though, so take with a grain of salt.

I believe that landing 214B+G throw against a character with spammable i10 A,A,B is hard for Aeon.

thats why you have to set it up. condition her to block 66K a few times early on, then if you read an opening dash in and go for it. its worked for me against certain players, so just a suggestion. i will agree that its not something to be tried very often in the matchup though. but landing it just once can have a decent impact on their thought process. thats really just my approach against Natsu, thought it might help.

"conditioning" her to block 66k is horrible advice, that's a free KD for Natsu on block into oki. There's so many better mids to mix up grab with, and frankly, running up and doing a mid/throw mixup has nothing to do with playing a matchup. That's just coin flipping. You can do that regardless of the character selected.

again, this is just how i have approached the matchup, and if it didnt work well, i wouldnt have suggested it. and in certain matchups (i consider this one of them) making your opponent respect command grab is more worth it than others.

AEON V. _____
Algol: 6-4
Alpha: 3-7
Asta: 5-5
Cervy: 4-6
Damp: 5-5
Eizo: 6-4
Hilde: 5-5
Ivy: 4-6
leixia: 4-6
maxi: 6-4
Mitsurugi: 4-6
Natsu: 4-6
nightmare: 5-5
Pat: 5-5
Pyr: 4-6
Omega: 4-6
Raph: 4-6
Sieg: 5-5
Tira: 5-5
Viola: 5-5
Voldo: 4-6
yoshi: 5-5
Xiba: 6-4
Zwei: 6-4

>:I

(BECAUSE NO ONE ELSE WILL)

AEON V. _____
Algol: 6-4
Alpha: 3-7
Asta: 5-5
Cervy: 4-6
Damp: 5-5
Eizo: 6-4
Hilde: 5-5
Ivy: 4-6
leixia: 4-6
maxi: 6-4
Mitsurugi: 4-6
Natsu: 4-6
nightmare: 5-5
Pat: 5-5
Pyr: 4-6
Omega: 4-6
Raph: 4-6
Sieg: 5-5
Tira: 5-5
Viola: 5-5
Voldo: 4-6
yoshi: 5-5
Zwei: 6-4

>:I

are Aeon's numbers on the right or the left? just curious. i assume the left

Mostly I was hoping to generate discussion in a dead forum. I'm okay with being challenged on these, I'm not that knowledgeable on most of those 5-5's lol

I'd say Aeon vs. Nightmare is in Aeon's favor. Also, can you explain why Aeon vs. Ivy is in her favor? I'm not familiar with that matchup.

I'd say Aeon vs. Nightmare is in Aeon's favor. Also, can you explain why Aeon vs. Ivy is in her favor? I'm not familiar with that matchup.
Big Things Ivy can punish meterless:
3B, 66A, 22B, WS B/K

She has option selects that beat both 8b+k SW transition and 66B SW. Her mid range game (the same area that aeon is good at) is rough for him because of 214B (he can't punish it at -14 + range, he can only preempt it with 66a, which Ivy can punish) and 214B/8B is just a really irritating wall that's really difficult for him to push past. On the plus side for aeon, even though she punishes more stuff, it's little damage on things that aeon normally gets destroyed for (like 1K) versus other characters, since Ivy lacks a really heavy punisher at slower frames without meter. (for example, her big i16 punisher requires both meter and blocking while standing)

in general, she kind of plays the same range game better then you, better throws, keeps you out, ignores a lot of your evasive moves with her own safer evasive moves, and she punishes a lot more of your tools then other characters. I don't think she has a better gauge game then you though (not sure off the top of my head honestly...) and she dosen't kill you for attempting a slow low. You also generally hit harder then her, with the exception of dat CH 3B she has.

I don't know anything about NM. We don't have one locally and every online NM is a scrub. :( Give your thoughts on whhhhyyy so i don't get owned if i ever fight a real NM.

Big Things Ivy can punish meterless:
3B, 66A, 22B, WS B/K

She has option selects that beat both 8b+k SW transition and 66B SW. Her mid range game (the same area that aeon is good at) is rough for him because of 214B (he can't punish it at -14 + range, he can only preempt it with 66a, which Ivy can punish) and 214B/8B is just a really irritating wall that's really difficult for him to push past. On the plus side for aeon, even though she punishes more stuff, it's little damage on things that aeon normally gets destroyed for (like 1K) versus other characters, since Ivy lacks a really heavy punisher at slower frames without meter. (for example, her big i16 punisher requires both meter and blocking while standing)

in general, she kind of plays the same range game better then you, better throws, keeps you out, ignores a lot of your evasive moves with her own safer evasive moves, and she punishes a lot more of your tools then other characters. I don't think she has a better gauge game then you though (not sure off the top of my head honestly...) and she dosen't kill you for attempting a slow low. You also generally hit harder then her, with the exception of dat CH 3B she has.

I don't know anything about NM. We don't have one locally and every online NM is a scrub. :( Give your thoughts on whhhhyyy so i don't get owned if i ever fight a real NM.

Agreed on Ivy. And Liz vs NM is 6/4 or 7/3 lol. Ask Thermidor.

actually, i just looked at the NM v. aeon thread in the nm forums. pretty funny, haha. I still want to play that match up before changing anything, but I understand.

Algol and Maxi is 6-4 in Aeon's favor? Not saying I disagree, but my two training partners use those characters so tell me what I should be doing lol >_<

Aeon 4B+K kills a LOT of Algol's best tools that it shouldn't - BB, 2A - and in general allows Aeon to get in really well and maintain pressure. Important Algol strings run the risk of one of many Aeon's TC moves, Algol suffers at mid range versus 2B/3B, Aeon can punish Algol better then Algol can him, etc.etc. If Aeon gets too far out Algol definitely has advantage, but once Aeon is in 66A range, Algol's pretty much reduced to guess bubbles, which carry thier own risk if Aeon 22Bs. Between Guard and 4B+K, Algol has a really tough time making a close/mid range Aeon sit still.

Maxi is a high damage close range soul gauge damage character with mediocre punishment options, generic mid/throw mixup that dies versus JG and has no direct way to deal with 66A. Maxi has to play your game and take a lot of creative risks to do so, he just gets much higher rewards then you. Outside of his ability to kill backdash, Aeon really dosen't have to fear much in this matchup as long as he maintains range, and even then, he can stand toe to toe with Maxi. You can put up a wall and Maxi will never be able to work his stuff, as long as you learn the character specific stuff, like dealing with 44K/loops/etc, you'll start to understand a lot of Maxi is just smoke and mirrors. He's still fundamentally strong, but Aeon 66A don't care none about that. Learn his lows and, importantly, learn which grab is techable- his grabs are similar in damage, nethier rings out, and one of them allows you to tech and escape a oki situation. break the one that forces you to stay down.

those matchups are two i know the best, so definitely ask any specifics on those! haha

you didn't list xiba. i'd like to hear your thoughts on that one anyways since i gotta play ryujin at a tournament this weekend

NO. I'M GOING TO ASK YOU. >:I

Alright alright.

NM is the one character that needs to move around the most in the whole cast and love to abuse his monster step. That's a well known fact. So obviously 66A is huge pain in the ass for him. Especially after the backash nerf this move eats him alive. Aeon also has very scary option selects for all of his stances such as 66K <3. Furthermore, the lizard can punish some of NM's key moves such as GS A, with 6BBE which is the strongest non-CE punish in the game. He can also punish 3AA with 3B at anything but max range. He can punish 3B with WRB in most situation for meterless 74 dmg. 4B+K is probably the best move in the game to counter aGa and sometimes go under some of his mids like 22A. His ring-out game is better than NM's, which is supposed to be one his greatest assets. That means that NM has to worry on stages that he usually would have the advantage. And Aeon's damage rivalizes with NM's : Aeon 3B combo does around 63 dmg without clean hit. NM 3B combo does around 70. Also you can abuse unsafe shit like a mad man cuz hes only got 6K to punish which is a mediocre punisher and often out of range anyway.

That enough for ya? Long story short if you get beat by NM as Aeon you got outplayed son.

Back