Matchup Discussion

bushindu

[11] Champion
This thread is to discuss matchups and character specifics.
Please post with name of the character your referring to..
E.g Pyrrha - asB 3b punish
I will transfer relevant information from this thread into the locked thread for reference.
Thanks

Ok guys, if you familiar with viola and another char, can you contribute
I will put some alpha and ivy stuff when I get back

This is a combonation of match up findings and a request for further help on the subject.

To play against Astaroth effectively I have found that the most reliable (albeit still risky) stratagy is to rush him down/stay in his face with 6B+K mix-ups, focusing on 1K and 3A as decent TC moves. The reason I find this stratagy effective is, more so than the rest of the cast, Astaroth destroys Viola at mid range, and to a certain extend her far range, because getting from outside into 1A+B range and further is almost never successful.

However I have found that the main issue with this approach is that I am so totally free to his CE.

Does anyone have any advice for this match up?

For me Nightmare and Seigfried are tricky. Seigfried usually does his mixups (if thats what their called) and nightmare is just idk maybe too strong and fast for his size. What i do usually are B+K mixups

NM is a hard MU for viola due to his speed and range, you will have to learn NM string moves and exploit the the fact his often use high moves so viola's WS K works well, and WR B is great if you can catch the CH as it will give you a nice combo opportunity.

Sieg shouldnt be too much trouble the main thing is not play in a linear fashion, and keep him out of stance mix ups

NM is a hard MU for viola due to his speed and range, you will have to learn NM string moves and exploit the the fact his often use high moves so viola's WS K works well, and WR B is great if you can catch the CH as it will give you a nice combo opportunity.

Sieg shouldnt be too much trouble the main thing is not play in a linear fashion, and keep him out of stance mix ups
Thanks I also seem to be nervous around Yoshi and Voldo. Yoshi's Flying UB move is really hard to sidestep if im not doing it correctly. And Voldo is just wack with lows

I have my Pyrrha matchup that I posted in the last thread. I'll post it again on here. (Plus, it looks much better with just a singular thread.)

Pyrrha
AA – Duck under and WR B
4AAA – Punish with 3B
4AB – Punish with 2B or JG punish with 3B/44A BE

2BB – Punish with 3B
3B – ORB 6A+B (At close range) -- If SET try 6B+K mixups.JG and punish with 3B
4B – Quickstep and backgrab into 44A BE/3B
6B – When blocked backstep to avoid follow up attack; When follow up attack whiffs, punish with 8A+B

B+K B – Punish with 3B/ 44A BE
3A+B – Try JG if anticipating
8B+K – Backstep and punish with 8A+B. Interrupt with 9K/BBB
8[B+K] – JG punish with 44A BE or 3B
WR [A+B] – If spotted when before starts, sidestep and back grab. If spotted too late either backdash and 8A+B or interrupt with 8A+B.

66B – 2A from crouching in case opponent tries to attack or move. Or, JG and punish with BBB into 6B+K mixups. Or 6B+K mixups.
66A – 2A in case of step or opponent tries to attack. Or, JG and punish with 3B/44A BE
66K – Punish with BBB into 6B+K mixups. Or, JG and punish with 3B
22K – Sidestep if you suspect 236B and backgrab. Or, JG and punish with 3B/44A BE

236AA – Punish with WR B
234 B – Punish with 3B

66B BE – JG 2nd hit punish BBB into 6B+K mixups. JG 1st hit, sidestep and backgrab or 3B.
236AA BE – JG and punish with 3B/44A BE. Or after blocking the low, sidestep and punish.
4AAA BE – Last attack will always whiff if string is guarded. Punish with 3B/44A BE. Alternatively, JG first hit, then immediately jump and 3B punish.
CE – Punish with 3B. JG last two hits or at least the last one. Punish with 44A BE or 3B

Sorry for any typos. Hope this helps. :P Tell me if there are any please.

Nice Punish guide for Pyrrha Ninja. I know this is asking too much, but I wish someone would make a punishment video for characters using Viola. I know someone did that for Pyrrha on YT.

Nice Punish guide for Pyrrha Ninja. I know this is asking too much, but I wish someone would make a punishment video for characters using Viola. I know someone did that for Pyrrha on YT.
Thanks. I would but I don't have any recording devices. :(

Thanks. I would but I don't have any recording devices. :(
Its all good, Im not trying to be selfish, but I feel like I learn better when I actually see it. But I can understand it in coding too of course. But anyway! It was a little thought of course. =)

Forgot to put it here, but, if Algol does the flip into bubbles, unless he BEs it, you get a free bomb punish. Just JG the first bomb, do 6B+K, JG again for the second (even if he doesn't do it), then bomb. Probably a lot of stuff I've forgotten to put here.

Back