[May 2, 2012] Soul Calibur 5 Online Tournament (PSN)

Spring is a big Season for fighting games here at MLG. The Fighter Arena on Saturday, April 28 will feature Soul Calibur V and Mortal Kombat, and both games will also be played, along with King of Fighters XIII, at the Spring Championship. Now, thanks to PlayStation®, Soul Calibur V and Mortal Kombat competitions will also be taking place on GameBattles all Season long.

The Soul Calibur V and Mortal Kombat Online Tournaments, Powered by PlayStation® will give you the chance to hone your skills for the Spring Championship, and win prize money in the process. They're free to enter, anyone can participate, and you can compete in both games with the chance to take home $5,000! Registration is open now; sign up and show everyone what you've got!

Register for the Soul Calibur V Online Tournament | Register for the Mortal Kombat Online Tournament
Prize Money

$5,000 total is on the line for each tournament:
  • 1st Place: $2,500
  • 2nd Place: $1,500
  • 3rd Place: $750
  • 4th Place: $250
Competition Format and Schedule

The format for both tournaments will be a 1v1 ladder which leads into a 32-player double elimination bracket. Both games will be played on PS3.
  • April 27 at noon ET: Registration opens
  • May 2: Ladder play begins
  • May 29, 9pm ET: Registration closes
  • May 30, 9pm ET: Ladder play ends, and Bracket play begins
  • June 2, 12pm ET: Bracket play begins
Please see the rules and competition format for full details:
Soul Calibur V Online Tournament, Presented by PlayStation® Official Rules

Mortal Kombat Online Tournament, Presented by PlayStation® Official Rules

F.A.Q

What countries can participate?

This is open only to U.S. residents (Sorry Canada)

What happens if the match is laggy?

You should replay the match using a new host. If that doesnt work attempt to reconnect until you have a stable enviroment. If you cant, put in a ticket and have the match negated. If it happens in the bracket stage, you can try the new host again but ultimately will have to play it out.

Color Edits on Default Characters? Those are O.K as long as they don't serve as something that no longer makes the characters appear how they should normally in the game. Faces should be visible and nothing else that would obstruct the characters identity should be added. This means no hoods, masks, face paint, horns etc.

Create a Soul Characters?

No

Will this count for seeding or invitation to MLG Anaheim?

No. Although anyone that wins or participates is able to sign up for MLG Anaheim. Personally my opinion is no player that wins an online tournament should be seeded in an offline one.

We are in a really good position to grow the community with this tournament giving some online monsters the chance to get some bread to make it out to their favorite FGC tournaments as well as maybe get to some out of state or world tournaments. Signups are going on right now and just to make sure people understand there is NO ENTRY FEE.

Is there any regional (north america only, for example) or connection limitations (min 3 bars with host or something) on this?

Due to legal reasons it is only open to U.S.A. and possibly Canada but don't quote me on that.

Noted.

I know some states have laws that consider stuff like this gambling for some reason, so they are at times excluded. EVO 2011 SSF4 online qualifiers for example weren't allowed in some states (Indiana, Georgia, a few others). Just trying to get a feel for the parameters.

Wow. This is a great way for MLG to step up. Thank you so much for the oppurtunity for us online scrubs to play for MLG. Ill sign up for sure, just hopin not to come in last place.

Thank you so much

HRD

Noted.

I know some states have laws that consider stuff like this gambling for some reason, so they are at times excluded. EVO 2011 SSF4 online qualifiers for example weren't allowed in some states (Indiana, Georgia, a few others). Just trying to get a feel for the parameters.

Yea I feel you. All the rules are included and you should all go through the rules page. I think Its not gambling if you're not using your own money. Its free entry.

Wow. This is a great way for MLG to step up. Thank you so much for the oppurtunity for us online scrubs to play for MLG. Ill sign up for sure, just hopin not to come in last place.

Thank you so much

HRD

Dont thank me Thank Sony and MLG. I'm just here to help people get it while the getting is good. The bigger we make this the bigger Sony, MLG, and CBSi will make it. This is the first time that people aren't dick riding capcom and this is the time we can get our foot in the door and start making a difference for everyone not just MK, SVC, or KOF players.

Team BIASF all up in this

Edit: sign up is totally confusing.....doesn't seem to let me reg.

Edit seems to be fine

Yeah sign up was a little weird. It wanted me to get a team together. I dont even like any of you people (specially you bubbles) much less wanna be on a team with yall.

But I just rolled with it and it eventually went through

HHHHHYYYYYPPPPPPEEEE

can we NOT let the offline tounrey winners play? LOL I mean come on. They got they money all ready. Now its my turn!

Hmm.. Having problems connecting my PSN ID. Any idea how to get around this?

Keeps taking me here and does nothing. :(

Edit: And now it says USA only. Guess I'm out >_>

Lol at some of these rules:

"1. Players may not use an Original Character." This is worded so badly, at first, I read that as banning the default characters in the game (as they are the original ones). Depends on if you mean original as unique or not. Should say custom to clear up all of that.

"4. The Random Stage Option must be selected for all Games unless both Player agree on a specific Stage." This is totally unenforcable online, as you can't see what your opponent is doing during stage selection, you have no way of knowing if they picked a stage quickly or hit random.

Lol at some of these rules:

"1. Players may not use an Original Character." This is worded so badly, at first, I read that as banning the default characters in the game (as they are the original ones). Depends on if you mean original as unique or not. Should say custom to clear up all of that.

"4. The Random Stage Option must be selected for all Games unless both Player agree on a specific Stage." This is totally unenforcable online, as you can't see what your opponent is doing during stage selection, you have no way of knowing if they picked a stage quickly or hit random.

When both people are done picking characters and stages. The next screen that pops up will tell you both characters and if the stage was random or not. In between the two player cards towards the bottom it will say "Random Stage" or something like that

I have a problem, upon trying to sign up it says that my country does not meet the criteria yet I live in Virigina, USA? Help?

Back