Mina vids?

I really thought I got more Mina matches, but it seems it was mostly Rock. Oh well. I can say this, I'll take my Mina vs Taki over my Rock vs Taki any day of the week.

I can see that I should probably start using 1_3A+B more to prevent teching, and work on my range analysis, and do more to prevent step. What am I not punishing properly, though? I think there's got to be a lot there.

Anyways, enjoy, discuss.

All casuals, that's why there's so much screwing around.

I don't really talk much when I play online. I prefer to just listen to the absurd things other people say. I have gotten kicked a few times just for my GT, and I've got a few hate mails, too.

After 8B, until your opp techs correctly, ALWAYS do 3B immediately afterwards for the combo. After a backtech (which is what most people do), it's a free juggle to 8A+B if not 66B FC 1B.

8B jumps over Taki's PO unbl.

Yeah, use 1A+B a bit more. And favor 1A+B over 3A+B, since 3A+B damage is pretty lame.

Throw 4A a little more into your mix at close range.

My purely personal biases:

Don't use 33AA ever. More often than not, the second hit whiffs when the first hit connects at tiprange. It is a suck.

Don't use 6K, not even EOIAW. The damage is low, even with the 33KB 2K juggle, it's like -10000 on block with no pushback, and the second hit hit whiffs a LOT on off-axis opps.

Don't pick the 2P outfit. Mina isn't the type of girl that fights in heels. Only "loose" girls fight in heels, and you don't want to associate with those girls. Trust me.

You know I'd pick her 1P, if it was from any of the previous SC games. Except for the heels part I prefer the 2P outfit right now. :/

Ya, I feel kind of iffy about 33AA, too. NCC if it catches step, though.

I really need to lay off the 6K. The only reason I still use it is because I play too much Rock. Got to start working the 6AK instead.

I like your Mina. The voldo is lacking though

Could do with some autoGIs and 2A+B application though.
i don't mind the much use of 8A+B....it's like her best move. It's just unsafe, but everything about it is perfect.

Not really hardcore.....It's just the basics of offense and defense were lacking. You seemed uncomfortable with the character, as if you're now beginning to learn the ins and outs of him. Like his range and sorts. Keep up with the practice and give that mina more fight ;)

Don't know if it was just a minor mistake but when you had your opp low damage and did 3A+B, you didn't do the 3B followup (which likely would've ended the round) and opted for a blocked 44A+B.

Otherwise, solid Mina. If you want to break 8A+B, I'd suggest favoring 66A in situations you might want to use it. Doesn't cover step as well, but it tech-crouches wonderfully and its safe.

I did like your application of 2B+K, and I need to use it more. Even though it's linear and unsafe as hell, it IS her only dangerous move on a crouching opp right next to her.

Not really hardcore.....It's just the basics of offense and defense were lacking. You seemed uncomfortable with the character, as if you're now beginning to learn the ins and outs of him. Like his range and sorts. Keep up with the practice and give that mina more fight ;)

*laughs* I appreciate the input and the encouragement, though I don't need it. Playing the fights was bad enough, watching them afterwards was just painful.

The thing is, it's not that I'm uncomfortable with the character. I mained him for three years in SC II, and have been maining him since I got IV ( skipped 3). My problem is, aside from the two tourneys I went too in the past couple months, I've only been playing good players for abouuuuut, well, once or twice a week for the past month. It's less an unfamiliarity with Voldo (though it should be obvious by that video that I need to mix it up way way way more, I know pretty much all of his moves and how to perform them reliably but I play with my brain off too frequently ((side effect of three years of playing SC II against people who weren't in my league, and as you can see my league isn't really all that high to begin with))

That, of course, results in predictable, repetitive patterns born out of familiarity and not what is logically the best course of action. I use 1A to punish counterhit 66B when I should be using 2A+B, CR K. I don't use 1K even though it's so useful in so many situation ((obviously gonna correct that)). I way over use BB, 66B because I just started using that to punish retaliation against a blocked BB for a while and, for that brief while, it worked beautifully, and I just started going with it so much that when people wised up to it I'd already sort of hardwired it into muscle memory.

The other really big thing is it's not that I'm unfamiliar with Voldo, it's that I'm unfamiliar with *everybody* else. Frankly that acn probably be attributed simply to laziness on my part for not going in training mode myself, test this stuff out, etc. Most of the time I simply don't really know more than the most basic tricks in my opponents arsenal so I'm easily faked out until I've played against that character in many matches. I often times throw out moves that miss not because I don't know the range of the move but because since I often don't know what they can or will do next, I sort of hope they'll just do a move that will run into so that I can be put back on the offense and use pressure. You don't have to tell me, that's a *very* poor strategy but I use it more in casuals against characters I'm not yet or am just becoming acquainted with until I can have a reasonable expectation of knowing what move(s) they will logically use.

Last but not least, there is just something about the way Khent plays that neuters me, haha. I go 50/50 with pretty much everybody in our playgroup, including a guy Khent considers better than himself, and yet I just can't seem to gain any ground on that guy. In fact, my win percentage has went down against him in every subsequent session, haha. I started out at 40/60 or so on the first week, went down to 20-30/80-70 or so on the second session, and this last session I did not beat him in a single match. Khent's blend of fantastic defense and his superior mental grasp of the game and its core mechanics just neuters me when you add that to my really sub-par sidestepping skills and lack of safe moves to close the range gap once he's made it. To my knowledge there's deathrose, there's CR A+B, CR A+G throw, CR B+G throw. All the CR moves are easy to simply duck on reaction and punish me with, then there's MCHT which he can sidestep or hit me out of if I'm far enough away. I'm wondering how the A+K side step evade into MCHT would be enough avoid vertical punishment and to get in quickly by surprise. Khent's just got my number for the time being.

I think that's a good thing, though. It's lighting a fire in me to start taking this more seriously in the form solo training mode simply to add more options and combos to muscle memory, as well observe videos of other Voldo players to see what they do right that I do wrong. Everytime I start to feel like I've drastically improved, something brings me down to earth and reminds me how much farther I've got to go and that only encourages me more.

By the way, don't mind me. When I start typing I just tend to keep going until my train of thought is done, which often leads to needlessly long posts, haha.

I've been thinking about mixing some more 2B+Ks in. It should help, because up close I abuse the hell out of her throws (good damage, wonderful pogo follow-ups), and 3B doesn't really get you anything inside tip range.

66A is so great. So, so great.

Yipes! I really need to do my homework on her combos/follow ups. I didn't even know that 3B could combo after 3A+B. I'm gonna have to plead stupidity on this one. Though now that I think about it, it should be kinda obvious. In fact, I rely a little too much on forced blocks instead of damage for other follow ups including when I get a 3B launch.

Heh, another very very good-to-know tidbit is that if you delay 3B off of 3A+B, it will tech-catch into a launch.

here's some casual match

my first time dealing with mina so maybe I make some mistakes

If you have some though and comment about my friend
just let me know. I'll extend it so he can play better :)

THX

Here's just one of my casual Mina matches, I'm not the best Mina but I think I'm pretty decent. Astaroth136(my opponent) is considered one of the best Astaroth's on XBL though, atleast from what I've heard. I do pretty badly the first two rounds, and I did lose this match, and made some stupid mistakes, but it was really close in the end.

Thanks, and yeah I don't know what happened near the end of it, I could have done a few simple things and probably won. I needed to cancel 2A+B a few more times, I only successfully got a hit out of it once then just stopped cancelling it for some reason. A few other things I've realized from watching other vids is that I need to start using 44A+B/66A+B, and 4B+K, along with mixing up her long range horizontals, I need to use horizontals more in general.

About getting more, for one I'm not the recorder, Astaroth is. Second, my Xbox needs to be fixed so I most likely can't play for a while. But I won't give up on Mina even though some have told me to. Heck, half of the 6 characters I use are low/bottom(Mina, Tira, Rock)

eh? Rock is easily mid tier. Easily.

Your mina was pretty decent in the match honestly, it's hard to really comment actually, i need to see much more to give any kind of advice. I thought the Astaroth didn't play very well though. Lacked basic strategy.

eh? Rock is easily mid tier. Easily.

Your mina was pretty decent in the match honestly, it's hard to really comment actually, i need to see much more to give any kind of advice. I thought the Astaroth didn't play very well though. Lacked basic strategy.

For one, I'm really not used to playing against Mina at all. I definitely can't use Asta's long range against her. I'm still not used to her cancels and mixups either.

Secondly, I thought this was a very bad match for me, yet I still put it up for the Mina player. I missed my command throws left and right. I could've stayed closer and used close-range mixups much better. Defense-wise, I was sub-par.

Definitely don't go by this one match and judge me. I even felt off in this match. I've had much better, and I've shown it in other videos in the Astaroth section.

Didn't judge u at all man, we can't always play well all the time. This is why i chose my words very carefully when i said....the Astaroth didn't play very well (in these matches duh), instead of saying, Damn! the Astaroth is a sucky player.
So no need to be defensive at all. There was no attack on my side, and if u felt offended i apologise, however you yourself said, that you weren't playing well though...so it's all good i hope.
I haven't ever played vs Mina either hahaha, i can only play with her :)

If only my Xbox hadn't broken we could get more matches in, and I could try fighting more Mina's for practice

Didn't judge u at all man, we can't always play well all the time. This is why i chose my words very carefully when i said....the Astaroth didn't play very well (in these matches duh), instead of saying, Damn! the Astaroth is a sucky player.
So no need to be defensive at all. There was no attack on my side, and if u felt offended i apologise, however you yourself said, that you weren't playing well though...so it's all good i hope.
I haven't ever played vs Mina either hahaha, i can only play with her :)

Ah, it's all good. I just didn't want you to think that I "lacked basic strategy" in all my matches.

since u were goofing around i'll only do slight comments and not nitpick too much

after the 66KKK CH combo, don't do 6B+K -> 3B, do 6B+K -> 9B+KB4B, or 33KB-> 2K
use your autoGis, seriously ;) you need to implement it in your game, all that predictable spacing verts that she uses = 4B+K bait.
more throw attempts, i know her throw range sux, but u gotta try

Back