Mixin it up and Makin the Opponent Say WTF

Uber1337

[10] Knight
Alright, I've decided we need a thread to discuss our various tricks and mix-ups with Maxi. You really gotta keep your opponent guessing to win, so I think it would be great if we compiled a list of options off of different moves. I have found that for the most part, Maxi's best mix-ups are out of BL, so most of my tricky stuff involves me going into BL. I will first talk about a couple of Maxi's best ways into BL and how to train your opponents to let you get into BL. Then i'll talk about the options out of BL.

-4B ~ LO

~ LO BK

This is the base string. If 4B hits, you are gonna wanna do this always. If 4B is blocked, the second B can be blocked and the K can be ducked. Luckily, the movement of the K makes it somewhat difficult to hit maxi with many TC moves, so the opponent is somewhat limited in punishment (still, you can't abuse this).

Strategy: I will usually toss this full string out there on block early in the match to gauge the opponents familiarity with Maxi. If they block the kick, I just abuse the crap out of the move and the frame advantage at the end. No contest really. If they duck the kick (or try and GI mid combo), things start getting interesting. I know they know when there opportunities for countering are, and that they are on guard for it. That is when I move to my other options.

~ PSL1 ~ BL
If your opponent has been properly trained with RO BK, this shift is pretty safe. The result of the shift is that you are standing very close to your opponent and you are in BL, which is Maxi's best mix-up stance BY FAR. From here, your best option is usually just KK. If they try and react to the shift, they will probably be too slow to interupt KK unless you were really predictable. If they block the KK, then they really know Maxi. In this case, refer to the section on RO A ~ BL for more tricky stuff from BL.

-3B ~ RO
Your best option is RO A ~ BL. This sets up your best mix-ups. You want to do this a lot. But what if your opponent ducks RO A? Well, that is where the first set of mix-ups come in. Now there are several ways that the opponent will try to get under RO A, and they all (maybe not all, but most at least) have different counters.

1)The opponent blocks 3B, then ducks RO A, then attacks right after the move.: Try doing a RO AK. The kick will interupt any attacks coming after the RO A.

2) The opponent blocks 3B, then immediately counters with a beefy TC move (which goes under RO A). : throw out RO B after 3B. This will most likely counter hit the opponent, resulting in a high damage combo. Just throwing this out once will usually discourage the opponent from trying that again, but if they do, do it again.

3) The opponent blocks 3B, then uses a quick TC move (like 2A). : Use RO K[K]_KA. This will hop over the opponents counter attempt and hit them for a high damage combo. Usually, this will stop them from trying this again.

RO A ~ BL
Ok, now that we've got the opponent to let us actually access this part of our game, we can start with the fun.
Options:
1) BL KK
The low threat. Against less experienced players, this is the move of choice usually. Good damage and knockdown. Against better players, this almost becomes expected, so you will use this a lot less (you'll use option 3 a lot more).

2) BL A
This is for opponents who block RO A, then try to quickly attack with a fast attack before your next attack. This will catch most counter attempts, and results in a fatty combo on CH. If even this move is too slow catch their attack, just use RO AK to make the slow down and think a second before attacking.

3) BL ~ *5 -> Neutral stance
Oh what fun. Now that the opponent is all locked up waiting for the next attack, you can shift to neutral and start all over. This is great because it gives a pretty solid high low mix-up out of BL. I like to follow this up with either another 3B~RO or 4B~LO. Both of these moves come out at close to the same time as a BL KK would, so it can be hard for opponents to read.

Alright thats all for now, I'll add more later probably. Hope that even made sense.

thats good stuff. ill be working on that psl tonight for sure

got any tips for us that are having trouble with yun-sung. seems if i can keep the pressure on its not that big a deal. but if he interupts my strings or combos and starts kicking, its tough to get out of it considering a lot of his kicks are stuns!!

help!!

Doh, I read it earlier and I forgot to write my comment.
Very nice post again, Uber1337. I like reading those, it's very informative. Thank you.

Useful but too simple and basic, there's much more required to make them go wtf.

care to elaborate or you got something better? or just a random comment? cause i think he' got a great foundation to start of with. and each different maxi player can go with a ton of different strings, combos etc from that start. i think its pretty good. i was messing with the psl1~bl quite a bit last night. it definetly made all my friends go WTF??? they didnt know what to do.

care to elaborate or you got something better? or just a random comment? cause i think he' got a great foundation to start of with. and each different maxi player can go with a ton of different strings, combos etc from that start. i think its pretty good. i was messing with the psl1~bl quite a bit last night. it definetly made all my friends go WTF??? they didnt know what to do.

random comment?
I did say it was useful, jsut too simplistic, it looks like a work in progress, i assume he'll keep updating hsi firs post. I would elaborate but i'm feeling lazy. He's on the right path, never said otehrwise, but not quite enough for them to go WTF. That's all i said.

random comment?
I did say it was useful, jsut too simplistic, it looks like a work in progress, i assume he'll keep updating hsi firs post. I would elaborate but i'm feeling lazy. He's on the right path, never said otehrwise, but not quite enough for them to go WTF. That's all i said.

first off, im not trying to be offending by any means. sorry if you took it that way. my bad. im a maxi freak! and uber is one of the best maxi players ive seen! (dont let that go to your head uber) im just always trying to get better tips from good maxi players. so if you got more...quit being lazy and spill it!!

ok hotrod, i'll start with 4B since it's what maxi players should use a decent amount.

4B blocked.
You must take into account that if 4B is blocked many characters (anti maxi players especially) have specific counters to thwart LO BK. Thus there is much risk associated with it, so you essentially don't want to do this.
4B -> LO A is a very important string and it's safe. Which is most important. Keeps them from not attacking after blocked 4B. It is interruptable, but they gamble a lot to even try. WL and psl5 are other defensive positions you can take. With these options available at your finger tips, 4BG becomes essentially safe and useful.

ON HIT however, many possibilities are at your disposable. uber recommends 4BBK, and i agree to a point, but the opponent is always going to block and then you have slowed your offense because even though as good as the bs of the Kick is, disadvantage is still disadvantage here and maxi isn't that fast. What i prefer to do is delayed LO attacks along with the following shifts psl3 -> RO, natural shift to RC, and psl2 -> LI.
Delayed LO BK and LO K, is one of the things i like to do, I've noticed when using string offbeat like this, the following usually happens, they attack and eat CH or they forget to counter LO BK properly. I usually always land it on CH when i delay it like this though, it's all a matter of my certainty when it comes to reading the opponent. I only use them when i know they would attack as it is still risky. The delay as well also makes them wary of doing RC based attacks, RC A is the gigas and i use it quite a heap in my game, i usually apply pressure in RC various attacks.

psl3 RO i have access to RO A which gives me free mixups period while simultaneously stopping steps. RO A is one of his best attacks. I can also choose to apply pressure with the RO K strings depending. The other beauty of RO A is the evasiveness. People tend to get antsy when i loop, RO A ensures their reply attack gets countered. Essentially when i loop i tend to choose loops that have evasive attacks. RO A fits the bill nicely, RO K fills that bit for it's TJ.
psl2 LI to have access to the big bad LI B. As explained before i shift to loops with evasive attacks. Li B is a strong pressure move, LI K is one of his best mid attacks and it stops steps. I hardly use LI A although it may be useful vs some. Depending on the opponent i may charge the LI B for additional mind games, and the also for it's extended TC.
psl1 -> BL is a loop i reserve for the end of the round so i can land BL B, for gimmick reasons i reserve it. The above loops are what i use the most.

now i'm tired phew.

first off, im not trying to be offending by any means. sorry if you took it that way. my bad. im a maxi freak! and uber is one of the best maxi players ive seen! (dont let that go to your head uber) im just always trying to get better tips from good maxi players. so if you got more...quit being lazy and spill it!!

So why did you just cut out lastnight ?>? I was planning on picking maxi again... ha you didnt even let me get warmed up with him ;) Told you yoshi was a beast :) lol gg's

So why did you just cut out lastnight ?>? I was planning on picking maxi again... ha you didnt even let me get warmed up with him ;) Told you yoshi was a beast :) lol gg's

i was all bummed. i dunno what happened to that room, i didnt get kicked, i dont know what that was. but i never got an invite back. i really wanted to play some more, i was learning a lot! thought you got tired of me beating ur ass...just kidding...anytime you wanna get a game on, you invite me, ill drop what im doin to come play!!

i was all bummed. i dunno what happened to that room, i didnt get kicked, i dont know what that was. but i never got an invite back. i really wanted to play some more, i was learning a lot! thought you got tired of me beating ur ass...just kidding...anytime you wanna get a game on, you invite me, ill drop what im doin to come play!!

nah man lol you must have got dropped... we didnt play too much longer after you left i had to get up kinda early so i crashed out

haha and beating my ass FUNNY :) How many times did you beat me again? once? lol :) nah they were good games though.. I'd like to play your maxi more as i really didnt have a chance to get into mine yesterday...

I'll delete one of my old friends and add you today that way we can play... ha and sorry about putting this in the thread Rekz but its easier that way and i give him skill points for quoting haha ;)

ok hotrod, i'll start with 4B since it's what maxi players.

now see, dont you feel better sharing your knowledge with the world. thats really good stuff, i use a RO A, RO K quite a bit myself. I havent messed with any of the psl's until recently. I always thought they were just fancy show off stuff, and i try to not be a show off. but i say screw it now, those psl's are fun as hell. my only problem is that its hard for me to keep track of what stance im in while doing the psl's. each one has a different loop and some of them dont have all the stances in it. its just something ill have to keep working at. i love watching my oppenent go "wtf?" its great.

In regards to the 4B ~ LO BK setup, after I know they realize the kick can be ducked I enjoy doing 4B ~ LO B, RC WL to GI iWS attempts to take advantage of the kick.

Something else I enjoy that's basic, but pretty annoying is LI A,A,B__PSL_throw.

LI AA still has excellent tracking and people who know Maxi don't interrupt the string once it starts. It's very easy to train since you can work on either of the B enders to show someone that it's not a fun string to try and interrupt. Once they recognize it, shifting into LI lets you start the string over which keeps stepping under control. It gets even more fun when they start to sit there for your transitions into LI so you can start faking LI B which has an extra little step (which can create for a mini double sidestep off LI AA8. This has shown me to be the most consist soul gauge beatdown I get outside of 4B ~ LO tricks.

but i say screw it now, those psl's are fun as hell. my only problem is that its hard for me to keep track of what stance im in while doing the psl's.
PSLs probably shouldn't be used randomly, they should be part of strings that you've prepared.
(But you don't have to prepare from beginning to end, you can prepare PSL-followups for some key attacks.)

hmm.

I think some of you are getting it. 4B leads to LO, not RO. Uber.

LO, BK is a move you want your oppenant to walk into on CH. So its much more effective from an RO PLS3 shift or a LI PSL1 Shift(or the Right A+K RO[6]>LO. RO, AK works in a simular fashion as they both are NCCs.

4B>PSL1>BL>PSL2>RO>PSL3>CH LO,BK = LOL, yeah someone ate that XD.

PSLs probably shouldn't be used randomly, they should be part of strings that you've prepared.
(But you don't have to prepare from beginning to end, you can prepare PSL-followups for some key attacks.)

by all means i dont use em randomly. i throw them in when i come to an end of a string and want to keep the string going. if im not mistaken, WL comes out no matter what psl you are doing. so i throw that out there. as soon as my oppenent see my WL they think they have an opening and then i do B+K AAAB. the problem for me is, while doing those psl's i have a little trouble keeping track of what stance im going in to. so when i think im doing a RO A, sometimes ill miss and Ill get the RC A instead. its just a matter of practing psl's more. ill have it down in no time.

ltrav2k. LO B by itself is horrid that's the problem (even on hit), any decently fast horizontal will interrupt everything u do. WL can't save u, if the opponent is smart.

hotrod.
Mastering the pure soul loop is harder than it sounds, i've been playing maxi since SC1, and i haven't perfected it yet. A good hint to not get confused is watching maxi's arms and observing which stance looks like what. (the movement of the chucks)

hotrod.
Mastering the pure soul loop is harder than it sounds, i've been playing maxi since SC1, and i haven't perfected it yet. A good hint to not get confused is watching maxi's arms and observing which stance looks like what. (the movement of the chucks)

im totally with ya. ive been playing maxi since sc2. all though im pretty good with maxi, i never messed with the loops at all. I only figured out what a RO,RC,LI,BL etc actually look like. uber filled me in on that. that was a big struggle for me. now that i know what they look like, i am just now able to take the advice of these forums and use it. so far i have only been comfortable with throwing out the WL B+K,BBBA. im working on getting comfortable throwing the unlimited amount of strings out of the psl's. am i correct on that WL comes out on all the psl's? but i find these loops to be fuckin awesome. they are really messing with my opponents, and are raping (for the most part)

Yea, WL is available in all stances.
Honestly i think focusing on Maxi's basics is more important than his loops. Keep your strings brief and strong is what makes looping works. I very rarely loop more than twice per string. If that makes sense.

Back