Mixup Advice

Lemonforce

[09] Warrior
Hi im looking for ways to help improve my NM game and unpredictability along with general fighting "speed"(aggressiveness/pressure keeping upness) if you can call it that and the main thing i think would help the most is mixups more specifically along the lines of NSS to GS mixups. Properly done mixed up NSS/GS to GS/NSS can help keep you on the offensive consistently not giving the enemy much time to do anything but block and wonder whats coming next it could also help with mind games being pressured so much added in with some UB cancelling and quick stepping could make someone panic and let their gaurd down to try and interrupt and end up eating more combos. But im not sure what some good NSS to GS mixups would be so any help here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

NSS K is really fast if you do it the manual way. Also switching in then hitting G to get out tends to make people get nervous because the sword moves around and they think you are going to attack or they have an opening. Also not finishing combos then finishing them later can get people alot.

SCV MAINS: :sc5nm1: :sc5nat1::sc5vio1::sc5pyr1::sc4ivy1:
SCIV MAINS: :sc4nm1::sc1tak1: (r.i.p Taki):sc4ivy1:
First, lets start with the concept of a "main". A "main" is one character that you spend countless hours learning and developing. An "alt" is a backup character you use to mask your fighting style with(sandbag) or approach a matchup differently with. You can not have 5 mains.

Let's talk about Nightmare mixups. At long range or short range Nightmare is very mediocre. The reason is because his good attacks are heavily punishable or require him to get up close (flapjack, WR B) and he can't last for long up close because his fast moves are meant for medium range "poking" if you even want to call agA a poke lol. Basically his mixups start getting good when the opponent starts to become unsure and tutle up. Here are some good mixups:

agA or mixup to 4K or mixup to 3A
FC A+G/B+G or mixup to WR (B)~b:A
1K 1K or mixup to 1K (tip range) B+K, A+B
1K CE
You can grapple instead for any of these, and I highly recommend that. Don't be afraid to grapple four to five times a round. Make these twerps earn their ring positioning.

I think you can have more than one main as it is possible to be equally good with multiple people and does it really matter that much anyways ill probably spend countless hours on the 5 people i listed while just toying around with others so then the 5 would be my main 5

Thanks for your input regarding the topic but i have a question about what you mean for example "agA or mixup to 4K or mixup to 3A" do u mean after agA do 4K or 3A? Or interchange all of those moves

I think he means after, people will start ducking more if you do agA twice in a row on them. They aren't going to want to keep catching guard breaks in the mouth so eventually they will try to duck or punish with a crouching attack.

You'll want to interchange the moves depending on how you condition your opponent to respond:

the agA is going to catch step and check people who guard too much. It gives you a chance to lock them up so you can move around them freely. Inevitably they will get sick of blocking and decide to low guard to punish you or TC, 4K checks this option and stuffs them. 3A is a little risky but it's a medium ranged move that you can combo, check them with, or catch their step, etc.

oh ok so your saying when playing normally if im keeping them from trying to step by using agA everytime they try to throw in 4K when expecting the low gaurd. And if they do get hit by the 4K just continue into 4KK then whatever else right?

Yeah 4K is a good check move. Hopefully throughout the match you'll get an idea of how they defend/move and you can switch out 4K for 3(B) and reap more rewards. Just remember to grapple like a bastard.

NM has some pretty bad and slow normal mix ups. So we have to force our opponent to be true to the low guard. We do this just like you said. And mixing in throws. Also going in and out of NSS and GS without attacking will make a very defensive opponent nervous and hopefully cause a mistake.

I'm pretty sure the speed of Back Flip (FC2 Throw) which is changed to faster in SC5, so no more painful Delay WSB days. Yeah!

I actually don't like NM's low grabs, for a few reasons

1) it's not technically a "throw", because it can be blocked.
2) It's unsafe, by quite a bit actually.
3) Slow and easy to see coming.
4) Can be jumped on reaction.

Between blocking, breaking, jumping, and the fact that it's unsafe and has shit for range, this move hardly ever works for me. I do use it, but maybe only once or twice in a whole match tops.

I only use it sparingly when I've conditioned my opponent to think I'm going for WR B or WR K.

Regarding mix-ups, Sometimes I purposefully whiff 3(B) from very far away, then when they try to dash in I quickly do GS A. It's risky, but sometimes people don't expect you do to off-the-wall obscure tactics.

Sometimes I like to do 66K to GS, then from crouching I either do high or low grab. Of course it's unsafe, but people don't always know what you will do out of GS, so they might turtle up. The reason I like this tactic is because it TC and moves forward a lot to close the distance for those grabs.

Also, I see a lot of NM players not using 66B+K. Good damage, TJ, mid. I don't use it often, but when my opponent is reading me well, I like to throw in moves like this, because they don't expect it. Use this against a slow low.

also, 22AA to GS mixups can be mean too. If the first one counters you follow up with the second A obviously, if they block, After you GS to crouch, K low poke is nice, or to high grab. Or, if they are conditioned to you doing low grab after GS, you can switch it up with FC 3B, which does nice damage.

Ahh... I could go on for days... NM is fucking fun. What I like most about him is his simplicity, not huge move list, but despite this has good mix-ups and different ways to play him. Such a well designed character IMO.

Ya hes really fun to play especially when you get into a grove and are fluidly pulling off attack after attack keeping your opponet locked up wondering if theyll ever get to attack again lol when I have them locked up like that is usually when I start doing the low throws from GS your really in their head after that and thats usually when they slip up trying to panic attack to keep off the pressure. But I always laugh when people say NM is bad because hes slow they havent met a real NM player. But one of my favorite mixups is his random 9K's I have yet to meet someone that actually expects that move lol I love throwing it out when I expect them to try and interrupt with a low and u roundhouse jump kick them in the face and plus it usually leaves them on the ground too

The low grabs are better than they were in the last 2 games partly because now they are i19 instead of i22. Getting a low grab blocked is generally still safer than getting a grab ducked (though it depends on opponent). It also has TC and can potentially grab the opponent out of TC attacks.

That said, I am having great difficulty applying mixups with Nightmare in this game.

The low grabs are better than they were in the last 2 games partly because now they are i19 instead of i22. Getting a low grab blocked is generally still safer than getting a grab ducked (though it depends on opponent). It also has TC and can potentially grab the opponent out of TC attacks.

That said, I am having great difficulty applying mixups with Nightmare in this game.

i19 now? Niceeeeeeee. No wonder Keev was abusing them.

Back