My Favorite Final Fantasy Game...

FINALLY someone agrees with me

I loved 8. The card game was AWESOME. The story was really well woven and open for interpretation. The Laguna segments were fantastic, i fucking LOVE laguna

#8 had a big act to follow, although it was a good game i was slightly dissapointed with it, there was very good imagary , story and music but maybe there was something missing, dont know if it was the battle system or not being able to connect with certain chars, but this is my least played ff game. but then again it had a lot to live up to.

Yeah, it does kind of feel like something was missing. I can't quite put my finger on it. I just get the vague impression of a tall, insanely good looking fellow with a badass 8 foot katana and beautiful, flowing hair the colour of light ash.

That must be it. If only FF8 had that guy in it, it would have been a good game.

Tactics was weak; taking attention away from Tactics Ogre, which was better in every way, is a grave sin.
Final Fantasy Tactics was such a good game. How is Tactics Ogre better then FFT in every way?

I still say IX is the best...but that's just me. I don't think I ever finished VIII, though it was decent if I remember.
I consider IX to be the worst. A trite, typical and two-dimensional storyline with a trite, typical and two-dimensional cast.

The gameplay was basic at best, nothing revolutionary and nothing phenomenal. After VII, it seems like people were set to hate anything that wasn't VII... so VIII suffered. Then after VIII, it seems like people were set to love anything that wasn't VIII... so IX benefitted.

VIII was my 1st FF. My friend showed me some FMV's from FFVII and VIII, I told him to let me borrow one of them because the FMV's looked hot. He gave me VIII. I loved it and then even brought my own copy. Then IX came out. Fail. Tried out FFVII to see what all the hype was about...Nothing special. Then X Came out and instantly became my favorite ^_^.

X > VIII > VII > IX

Final Fantasy Tactics was such a good game. How is Tactics Ogre better then FFT in every way?

Imo. They are both really great games.Tactics Ogre came before FFT, so there are always going to be those people saying the original was the best, but they are way seperate games. They both have really deep, intensive storylines, great job/class systems, and are anti-noob, hardcore rpg fun! Tactics Ogre was the pretty much the founder of godly tactic rpg games, and when you think about it there are only two, so love them both. lol Tactics Ogre and Final Fantasy Tactics.

A few elements of FFVIII's story struck me as odd, which is probably keeping me from liking it as much. I mean, it's great that it's so different from your usual Final Fantasy fare of story, but there were just some things I couldn't accept.

Squall annoyed me, and this was before emo became a fad. His feelings for Rinoa seemed to have an on/off switch that didn't make a whole lot of sense to me. It was like...

Before comatose
Rinoa: "Hey Squall! Let's hold hands and prance around! Tee-hee!"
Squall: "...whatever."
While Rinoa is in a coma
Squall: "Oh GODS, Rinoa...!! I can't live without you...!"
When Rinoa comes back from coma
Rinoa: "Hey Squall! We should totally make out!"
Squall: "...whatever."

I also have issues with the gameplay. I mean, the system is cool, don't get me wrong. Junctioning and drawing magic and GFs and all that good stuff was actually really cool and hugely inventive in its time (and hell, it's still a good system now). My issue is that there were a FEW things in the game that were completely broken that just made the game way too easy.

First culprit: the Aura status effect. I mean, FFVII taught you that Limit Breaks were the WTFPWND move that you can break out when bad shit happens to you so you can turn nigh hopeless fights around with a sudden powerful turnaround strike. With a single spell, that sense of desperation and grandness of the Limit Break is made obsolete by the fact that you can do it infinitely as long as someone can cast Aura-All on the whole party. It made standard attacks obsolete, and it made most magic obsolete by the idea that you could just Aura your way through every fight.

Second culprit: Unbalanced Limit Breaks. Let's face it, there was NO reason to use anyone other than Squall, Irvine and Quistis (Mighty Guard for All-Aura, anyone?). I mean, sure I guess you could use Zell if you liked him, but Selphie and Rinoa's Limit Breaks were absolute garbage. There's no reason to obtain a Limit Break with Selphie when there's a CHANCE she'll actually do something useful, or a chance she'll deal some mediocre magic damage that you could just deal in bigger payloads with Squall or Irvine anyway. Rinoa's random limit break was just as bad; either Angelo will make your party invincible... or dash out and deal 10 damage to the enemy. I mean, sure it's great that everyone's limit breaks are different (unlike FFVII, where everyone's LVL4 Limit Break was basically a giant beam), but there's a huge case unneeded system gimmicks that made Selphie and Rinoa mostly useless.

Third culprit: Squall never misses! Okay, okay, I know they were trying to do that cool thing where you get to press the trigger and make the Gunblade go off and that was kinda cool and creative in a Mario RPG kind of way, but on a balance standpoint... he never misses! What's up with that!? If they were going to bother with that, why not give a trigger-gimmick to every other character? Well, okay Irvine got some trigger-play for his Limit Break, but he could still miss with his regular shots! It was entirely possible to stat Squall to deal ridiculous damage with just his regular attack, and it never missed! Maybe Square was just intentionally making Squall the best character in the game, I dunno, but that just doesn't sit well with me. It's so easy to twink the game that there's no variety in how to play (unless you want to SERIOUSLY nerf yourself and go through the game with Zell, Rinoa and Selphie. Nothing wrong with that, challenges are fun).

This is just my opinion though, so don't get all uppity. I won't get on your case if you enjoyed FFVIII, because I'm not going to change your mind. I'm just voicing what I thought was offsetting about the game, for me.

...oh, and the card game was AWESOME.

I've only beaten FF7 and X, but i've played 7,9,X, X-2, and even Crystal Chronicals(GC, Nothing like the others lol)

X just had so much going on in it, and so much to do. The aeons are what sold me on that one being my favorite though. Sure, they all had summons, super, but fighting AS your summon, bad-freaking-ass. Blitz Ball, though extremely easy was still enjoyable when you had a team of lesser players. Final Fantasy 7 is a close second, but i mean..once you get your Gold Chocobo it's GG everyone-Ruby Weapon, eat knights of the round! Emerald Weapon, KNIGHTS OF THE ROUND, Bizzarro Sephiroth, etc.

X had that one old guy where you could go fight those ridiculously hard monsters, that by far is the hardest challenge i've seen yet in any Final Fantasy game. Ozma would cower in fear to any one of those monsters. Hm, what else.....oh, right, YOJIMBO IS KING.

I didn't like FF9 all that much either, well, when compared to the other entries in the series anyway. I thought the characterization was very poor. For example, Amarant. When I got him, I was thinking the whole time, "who the fuck is this guy?" and "where did he come from?!" And he doesn't say shit. Wtf why is he in the game
lawlz

@A_Bad_Idea: There was plenty of incentive to use the other characters (maybe not Selphie). Zell is potentially one of the deadliest and comparable with Squall when his Limit Break is abused dubbed "Grand Calamity Symphony" and "Armageddon Fists", which are basically just abusing two of the moves from Zell's Duel Limit (Booya + Heel Drop loop and Punch Rush + Booya loop respectively). With the max 12 seconds, doing that loop can surpass Lionheart's damage at full strength (even more with Meltdown inflicted on the enemy).

I admit I never really liked Rinoa's limits but they have uses, especially Angel Wing. Angelo's Invincible Moon is basically a Holy War, nullifying any sort of damage or status effect (+ healing). Also, her "Combine" limit isn't random, so casting Invincible Moon is controlled by you. The only random thing that happens is with Angelo either attacking or helping himself, which IIRC does not waste Rinoa's turn. Angel Wing is at it's deadliest when Rinoa has nothing to cast but Meteor. With her magic automatically boosted up to 255 when the limit is activated and have the ability to infinitely use a certain magic equipped to her, she can become one of the best damage dealers. Since Meteor hits 10 times, you are looking at 60,000+ damage every turn from her. This move combination alone puts Quistis further down from the best damage dealers, as her best limit for damage is Shockwave Pulsar (which can go at about 35,000+ if you're lucky).

Selphie..well..Rapture and The End are nice...I guess? She is my least favorite character after all. :/ I consider her and Quistis to have the weakest limits in terms of damage but Quistis is awesome and a Blue Mage, so she's forgiven.

FF8 is the pinkerton of video games

pinkerton.jpg

think about it. FF8 did a lot of really unique things, and every JRPG made after 8 had more focus on visuals and story than mechanics. This would shape how future JRPGs would be made. problem was, FF8 came after the legendary FF7 so it got mixed reviews. So now Square will never make another game like 8 and this is why we're stuck with fail such as kingdom hearts.

Pinkerton did a lot of really unique things and most alternate artists were heavily influenced by it, if you really look into it Pinkerton could be blamed for the emo movement of the early 2000s. Say what you will about emo, but if an album is good enough start a new genre (or revive it), that is an accomplishment. Pinkertons only fault was that it came after the legendary Blue Album so it got mixed reviews. So now Weezer will never make another album like Pinkerton and this is why we're stuck with fail such as Red Album.

also note that Pinkerton is based off the opera "Madame Butterfly." and FF8 is constantly compared to an Opera.

I consider IX to be the worst. A trite, typical and two-dimensional storyline with a trite, typical and two-dimensional cast.

I think you are misunderstanding what FF IX did. It was bringing together all of the elements of previous FF's because it was the last one on the PSX console. It brought together everything from FF1-FF8. That is why they brought back the idea of black mage (vivi), Mogs and many other elements from original FF's. Final Fantasy IX was developed alongside FF VIII, but took a different path to return to the series' roots with a more traditional fantasy setting. Consequently, FF IX was influenced heavily by the original Final Fantasy game, and features allusions to other titles in the series. The music was scored by then regular series composer Nobuo Uematsu (Excellent stuff by the way).As the series' last game on the PSX, Sakaguchi envisioned a "reflection" on the older titles of the series. FF IX is also considered by Sakaguchi to be his favorite game as "it's closest to my ideal view of what Final Fantasy should be".

With that said, you can see how i take to heart the fact that you view FF IX as a "trite typical two dimensional storyline with a trite typical two-dimensional cast". You misunderstood what the game was trying to do.

So the fact that the developers WANTED it to be "a trite, typical and two-dimensional storyline with a trite, typical and two-dimensional cast", makes it okay that it turned out as "a trite, typical and two-dimensional storyline with a trite, typical and two-dimensional cast"? I dont think I mis-understood anything. From what you are saying, I am understanding IX EXACTLY as I am supposed to... as "a trite, typical and two-dimensional storyline with a trite, typical and two-dimensional cast".

The Gooch has always had an inability to adapt his stories to the changing times. VII and VIII were the first games in the FF series that brought significant change to the RPG genre. The Gooch has always hate change, we can see this with IX, as well as many of his new games with Mistwalker like Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey. He's creating these old style games that just fail for today's audiences.

Also, if you ask Uematsu personally, he will say VIII is his best work.

The problem with Final Fantasy games is that at the core, the plots are just excuses to beat up a lot of monsters. And somehow a bunch of losers that never read books start crying about how Aeris dies and become convinced that all the subsequent stories were somehow more crappy than 7's. Even FF6, my personal favorite, has a horrible plot, but at least its gives a passable excuse to go kill Humbaba.

There aren't many multidimensional characters in the FF series period, including VIII. Though I do agree the story was typical in IX, the presentation was great and seemed consistent. I can't say the same for VIII.

Also, the school turned into an airplane.

There aren't many multidimensional characters in the FF series period, including VIII. Though I do agree the story was typical in IX, the presentation was great and seemed consistent. I can't say the same for VIII.

Also, the school turned into an airplane.
In VIII, the school turned into a spaceship.

Back