My Favorite Final Fantasy Game...

-FFX-2 and FF12 sucked a hard one and a fat one respectively.

Really, the only reason I hated X-2 was because of the girl power vibe of the entire game. Outside of the Charlies Angels' motif, the game wasn't that bad. I actually liked the battle system. Also, being able to switch jobs mid battle (that's basically what the dresspheres were)? Bad-ass. I'll knock on X-2 about it's shitty story all day. However, I'll admit it's battle system had something going for it.

lol the ONLY reason i playedX-2was the girl power. I was hoping for an all chick FF and I got it, and everything sucked about it....... Battle system was bad too Except that it was amazingly fluid.

Really, the only reason I hated X-2 was because of the girl power vibe of the entire game. Outside of the Charlies Angels' motif, the game wasn't that bad. I actually liked the battle system. Also, being able to switch jobs mid battle (that's basically what the dresspheres were)? Bad-ass. I'll knock on X-2 about it's shitty story all day. However, I'll admit it's battle system had something going for it.

No one wants to give props to X-2 just because they don't want to admit they ever played it... but it had one of the best battle systems in ANY FF I've seen.

I tried playing X-2... I made it to Ixion, and then I couldn't play it anymore.

This is what led me to never want to play X-2.
i like the song in the intro, but i recently started to play through ffx-2 again and the whole intro made me cringe. i'd played the game through twice, but this time i played about an hour then vowed never to touch the game again. i'd like to think the lack of HD and my big tv made me stop, but yea maybe it sucked.

Battle system was bad too Except that it was amazingly fluid.

What about it was bad? Seriously, in comparison to the usual FF turn-based fair, I see no reason to say X-2's actual battle system was bad. Job changing mid battle is bad-ass. The only things I hated about X-2 was the overall vibe the game gave off and the retarded story. I hated those things so much if people ask if I liked X-2 I say "No" on reaction but I'll admit I had fun with it's battle system. Oh, and the music in X-2 sucked balls too.

The music was jpop and orchestral mixed together, which sounds cool in my head but was BADLY put together.

the system was terrible, why do people like it is the question? dress sphere finding and changing mid battle isn't FUN in any way, i'd rather gain these damn abilities straight leveling up PER character over per job. Fuck the spheres. This goes for all FF games that did jobs too, however VI did it in a much better way. No summoning at all unless you wanna call these characters GOD mode transformations that, which they aren't. And no summoning in any way is terrible, Aeons/GF/wtfever monster beasts is something that has always been and should forever be input into this crap. Just because Yuna became a whore after the X-game doesn't mean she needs to sacrifice monsters for guns, and by guns I mean ANYTHING since she can be ANYTHING. Hell i beat the damn game 2 times, which is sad because iw as getting 100% ending before i DELETED THE FILE, so after i did the first i just made Yuna-Riku, Riku-Paine, Paine-Yuna and beat the game with ONLY those because I didn't care anymore. Also this game is easy as hell.

I hate you X-2 for wasting my life TWICE. and on top taking away BLITZBALL for POGS, screw you again Square, Blitzball was one of the few things about X i liked, don't make it shit in your sequel.

Okay so why is FF9 awesome?

First I'll acknowledge it's shortcomings, mainly the plot. It doesn't have the great plot, culminating in the good ol' Hey let's chase after this guy because he's causing trouble...and stuff. And oh wait, there's the man behind the man too! Not too original, sure it throws it's surprises here and there but it's not too striking. The game also ignores a good deal of the other characters and seems to be the Garnet show for the most part. Game also lacks a general challenge, except for perhaps Ozma and the surprise final boss (Jerk move by Square), everything else is darn easy.

Now while the plot isn't anything to sneeze about, the story does have its countless heartfelt/awesome moments. Who didn't get a bit watery eyed when the Black Waltz blasted the poor Mages protecting Vivi? How about the opening scene where Tantalus crashes the party? Protecting Cleyra from Alexandria? Steiner and Brahne's near confession or their defense of Alexandria during the attack? Kuja losing it and destroying an entire world? Just to name a few...

Outside of FF8, I thought the soundtrack to FF9 was very well done. Here's just a small list of the songs in the game: Bran Bal (Played in the titular village and it's appropriate haunting sound), Terra (Again, fits the theme), Hunter's Chance (Who didn't love this song? I played through that entire part over and over for the fun of it), Treno (Who knew ragtime could sound good?), Kuja's Melody, Freya's Theme (Done in a wonderful haunting tone), Burmecia, Lindublum, Esto Gaza and many others.

I believe that the world of FF9 is one of the better designed ones. Each city has its own unique look and culture. Arguably the best designed one is the one city that doesn't get wrecked. It's too bad that Brahne was such a power crazed loon because several of the cities that got wrecked were designed pretty well (Well Alexandria was kind of boring) and I would have loved to see Burmecia in it's glory and not a rain soaked ruin. Even though it was kind of hidden, the waterfall town (Whose name escapes me) was also a cool place to wander around. I do wish there were a few more established kingdoms outside of the Mist Continent...it seems as if they kind of slacked off.

Character designs...well aren't terrible. My main complaint is that Zidane looks girly (He looks like Meg Ryan!) but the rest of his outfit isn't terrible. It fits in with the rest of the world. Garnet's outfit is probably the one who most stands out...outside of Quina...I mean who wears such a bright colored outfit? Steiner and Freya's both make sense, along with Vivi. I couldn't really make sense of Eiko's outfit, haha. Aramant's look is generally awesome. He looks and acts the part of the rebel. Let's not speak of Kuja, the less said the better.

More coming later!

Now while the plot isn't anything to sneeze about, the story does have its countless heartfelt/awesome moments. Who didn't get a bit watery eyed when the Black Waltz blasted the poor Mages protecting Vivi? How about the opening scene where Tantalus crashes the party? Protecting Cleyra from Alexandria? Steiner and Brahne's near confession or their defense of Alexandria during the attack?
Nope. (But then I also shouted "Finally!" when Sepiroth dropped down behind Aeris in that pond.)

Kuja losing it and destroying an entire world? Just to name a few...
Zzz...

Character designs...well aren't terrible.

They're all deformed hell blasted abominations.

lol

Well Kuja destroying an entire world and his own creator is pretty darn good considering what the other FF villains accomplished...outside of Kefka who did literally become a god.

And if they were so terrible, who should have done the designs then?

lol

Well Kuja destroying an entire world and his own creator is pretty darn good considering what the other FF villains accomplished...outside of Kefka who did literally become a god.
Kefka's motivations also made him utterly suck as a villain.

And if they were so terrible, who should have done the designs then?
Anything but deformed big headed freak moppets. Bows around Zidane's neck only added insult to injury there.

Kefka was crazy. I don't even remember his motivations (Or care) since he was generally off his rocker. He was awesome because of his wackiness. That's all.

lol, you really hate the FF9 designs. They're better than FF7 at least. FF8 and X had the best.

Kefka was crazy. I don't even remember his motivations (Or care) since he was generally off his rocker. He was awesome because of his wackiness. That's all.
That's why he was totally boring. Someone's who's evil just 'cause is not interesting.

lol, you really hate the FF9 designs. They're better than FF7 at least. FF8 and X had the best.
Eh. 8's kinda suffered due to the resolution. It was hard to make out what was going on at times. (Emulators solve this issue tho.) X started the creepy androgynous teen idol main character design. (Van being the Zenith of the noxious trend.) Also the obsession with random straps and buckles and asymmetric pants.

7 just had the Popeye overworld character model issue. The battle graphics and the character designs in cut scenes etc at least looked semi plausible.

That's why he was totally boring. Someone's who's evil just 'cause is not interesting.

Eh. 8's kinda suffered due to the resolution. It was hard to make out what was going on at times. (Emulators solve this issue tho.) X started the creepy androgynous teen idol main character design. (Van being the Zenith of the noxious trend.) Also the obsession with random straps and buckles and asymmetric pants.

7 just had the Popeye overworld character model issue. The battle graphics and the character designs in cut scenes etc at least looked semi plausible.

lol

We can't forget about Amano. Firion (FF2) didn't look all that manly to me and let's not even speak of Cecil (That Paladian getup was a wee bit too colorful). And as far as straps and buckles...let's just hope it doesn't reach KH levels.

Luckily 6's plot had very marginally to do with Kefka. His final boss music however is easily one of the most epic boss tracks ever made if you can hear all 30 minutes of it (he literally falls in like 6 or 7 hits).

Back