My first "Real" tournaments outcome.

Laswagga

[09] Warrior
I had fun.
I didn't make it far! but I had fun and I learned alot. I guess thats the best I can hope for without any real competition where I am that i'm actually in contact with. I learned to go "back to the basics" with my setsuka and get in touch with some classic side-stepping, BB action there. I had my girlfriend and my buddy record some of the matches while I did casuals with an awsome cervy player and KurisuKappsu's new and improved Astaroth. I got set against my two worst enemies during my first few matches!

My first match I got set up with ZDAMNCD's Ivy. I stood up to him pretty nicely, we went back and forth for a little while with me winning one match and him winning another and eventually pulling ahead of me by catching me with one of ivy's command grabs and raping my health bar.

My next match, to get back into the tournament I was unfortunate enough to get set up against Ekindu and his crazy voldo. He beat my Maxi 2-0 with pretty much no real trouble, but i'm happy with getting a few good combo's in. Overall they were close matches, but everytime I got close to beating him he went into this hyper offensive mode with Voldo and at that point I couldn't keep up. Voldo's mixups are scarey!

After a few casuals, Sword_Lord got booted out of the tournament so we had our match when he was free. He's not as bad as I assumed he'd be, but ultimately I came out on top at maybe 4-2. (3-2?) But, aside from what was said between us he's actually a cool guy and I wouldn't mind doing it again. Maybe next time i'll have some money for you, and we'll bet on it.

Also, congradulations on getting to the Nationals to RTD and Suirad. I didn't get to fight either of you, I had to leave before Suirad was free and RTD left right after getting into nationals. I recorded matches between RTD and Ekindu, which were insanely tense and i'll have them posted as soon as possible along with some pictures. I know this is a long post, but it was just a fun experience for me. I'll be at the next one in this area.

Is this the one you're referring to? http://www.8wayrun.com/f5/unofficial-atlanta-regional-results-t3273/.

According to the author, 5 ppl from Atlanta are qualified to go to Nationals.

Just a suggestion instead of posting here, post to the link I've specified if itz the correct one.

Itz good that you finally realize what it feels like to be playing with some of the hardcore offline veterans in 8-wayrun.

Does it change your opinion btwn offline and online matches?

Is this the one you're referring to? http://www.8wayrun.com/f5/unofficial-atlanta-regional-results-t3273/.

According to the author, 5 ppl from Atlanta are qualified to go to Nationals.

Just a suggestion instead of posting here, post to the link I've specified if itz the correct one.

Itz good that you finally realize what it feels like to be playing with some of the hardcore offline veterans in 8-wayrun.

Does it change your opinion btwn offline and online matches?

Amazingly enough, yeah it does. But not to an extreme degree. I have realised that some of the strategies that offline players use when compared to online players are a lot simpler, but typically more effective. Even simple things like BB and AA can become a pain in the ass when fighting an offline player who knows how/when to step and when to throw out A or B to interrupt what you're doing. But as far as lag and things of that nature that are specific to online play, I really didn't see the difference. It felt the same to me, I don't know if thats good or bad really.

And as far as five people making it, I was just talking to RTD and Suirad specifically. I don't know about the other people. I didn't pay enough attention, after getting knocked off the list I went to SFIV with a buddy and forgot about SCIV.

The main thing about online vs. offline IMO is your ability to react to things. Mixups online are non-existent offline. It's a whole complete different game. It's not as much a guessing game anymore.

Laswagga: The moment you selected Maxi you determined your fate. Since when do you use Maxi anyway, I thought it was straight up Setsuka for you? Anyway i'm glad to see you had fun and met some hardcore players.

His maxi is good but voldo is hard match up for maxi. Espicailly as far as safety is concerned. Should have stuck to sets oh well at least you had a good learning expiriance that was fun

Laswagga: The moment you selected Maxi you determined your fate. Since when do you use Maxi anyway, I thought it was straight up Setsuka for you? Anyway i'm glad to see you had fun and met some hardcore players.

I got curious about Maxi's ability to stand up to high level players, but you're probably right. I know almost nothing about Maxi's match ups, so I had no clue that he was a bad match against Voldo. And I am straight up Setsuka, but I felt like I needed a change of pace a few months back and decided to pick up maxi also. I'll study up on him more, next time will be different.

And you won a tournament with Maxi didn't you? I was like "Fuck it, maybe I can do it to."

I was wrong.

Don't be fooled.....I only used Maxi twice in the tournament I was in, against my first round opponent who knew nothing about Maxi and then once against Ivylicious who after losing the first game to me picked Hilde and raped the shit out of Maxi, forcing me to switch to Mitsu putting Maxi on the bench for good. Plus you only picked him up 2 months ago and expected to do good with him....against ATL players??!! If anyone is gonna do good with that piece of shit character in this game it's gonna be someone who's been using him since forever like Fhwoarang or hotnikklez.

First rule of tournaments, never switch to a character you don't know like the back of your hand. Seriously I see people decide to switch to some other character after they lose once thinking they will do better. Only a handful of people can actually do this successfully. Just stick to the character you are best with and think of why you lost, then adapt.

Krayzie didn't win a tournament with Maxi, KDZ did.

not bad laswagga. it looked like ur just frame timing was a little off from playing online (i actually kinda wanted it to be on so that I could GI). and like i said about your online play, you umbrella too much, I just have a hard time punishing it with Setsuka cause I had to remember to 66BA. besides that, pretty good mirror matches.

First rule of tournaments, never switch to a character you don't know like the back of your hand. Seriously I see people decide to switch to some other character after they lose once thinking they will do better. Only a handful of people can actually do this successfully. Just stick to the character you are best with and think of why you lost, then adapt.

Krayzie didn't win a tournament with Maxi, KDZ did.

Yeah, a shit decision on my part. The fucked up thing about it, is that I made the same mistake twice. I could have switched after losing the first time, but I thought that maybe if I tightened up my defense i'd do better and get one round. But now I know what you mean by the difference in skill level online and offline though, ceirnian. I took some of the things I saw people doing offline and applied them to my online play, and its been ten million times easier.

Glad you had a good offline experience. Do you have people near you who play? If so you should start going to offline gatherings more. Not saying to stop playing online, but if you make the effort to attend offline as well I'm sure you'll be able to improve at a nice rate.

Glad you had fun, and welcome to competitive gaming. I've still never gotten past "just above scrub status" since I've been playing. It's all due to my lack of committment to really learn the ins and outs of the game and to my characters. It's still fun to see what you can do, but if you ever play Krayzie, expect no mercy. Krayzie, I still have nightmares about you absolutely destroying me when we got games at your hotel. You know, the one where the secret service pulled a gun on you and told you to go back in your room when Bush was driving by?

Glad you had a good offline experience. Do you have people near you who play? If so you should start going to offline gatherings more. Not saying to stop playing online, but if you make the effort to attend offline as well I'm sure you'll be able to improve at a nice rate.

The only other offline player that I know of in my area is Shinreiatsu, but he hasn't contacted me back for months about getting together for some SC matches. Though there IS an offline community in my area, its really absolutely no challenge for me at this point. They're all casual SCIV players, so all it boils down to for them is mashing for some wtfhaxcool combo's that I end up stepping the hell out of or Guard impacting. My only other competition is Blood-In-the-eye who lives down the street from me, but thats it.

Well, hate to jump in, Laswagga, but you're in my area, so whenever you got some kind of gathering going on, hit me up on here and I'll likely show up. I got one friend who is pretty good with Ivy who lives in Byron who might come too

These are the types of threads we should see more of in the community...
Positive players who ENJOY playing the game and take a loss as gained experience.

Glad you had a great time with some of SC4's best players and Good Luck!

Im up for a few rounds and maybe ill make for good competition.

Xbox live: ja dilla

true that, experience like this is how you become a better player. a positive attitude really helps too. you got the right idea kid

These are the types of threads we should see more of in the community...
Positive players who ENJOY playing the game and take a loss as gained experience.

Glad you had a great time with some of SC4's best players and Good Luck!

Im up for a few rounds and maybe ill make for good competition.

Xbox live: ja dilla

Completely agree!! Whats even better IMO is that the community is supporting this post and encouraging. Rare experiences in both cases!

Well, hate to jump in, Laswagga, but you're in my area, so whenever you got some kind of gathering going on, hit me up on here and I'll likely show up. I got one friend who is pretty good with Ivy who lives in Byron who might come too

I'm going to have a medium sized SCIV gathering this saturday if everything goes according to plan. Its gonna be on PS3 though, hope thats alright. I know of a few Xbox360 players in my area, so if you think you'd rather play on the 360 then just say so.

My cell number is in your inbox, contact me if you have any questions or something.

Glad you had fun, and welcome to competitive gaming. I've still never gotten past "just above scrub status" since I've been playing. It's all due to my lack of committment to really learn the ins and outs of the game and to my characters. It's still fun to see what you can do, but if you ever play Krayzie, expect no mercy. Krayzie, I still have nightmares about you absolutely destroying me when we got games at your hotel. You know, the one where the secret service pulled a gun on you and told you to go back in your room when Bush was driving by?

Haha, yeah of course I remember that...it's one of my favorite stories to tell! The way I walked outside the hotel room down the stairs and that woman cop turned around, saw me, drew her weapon and screamed 'WHAT ARE YOU DOING??!!! GET BACK INSIDE NOW!!!"

Seneca don't give me that 'never got past scrub status' stuff. I still remember the first time I met you when I taped your food match vs Springwood (which I still have on tape and watch from time to time for laughs). Who can forget the famous "it's over, this is about to be win number 3.....RING OUT! OOHH!!".

Back