Namco gives us the finger

I will never understand why Tekken is more popular than Soul Calibur. Serious let down if this is all I get from E3

Different teams work on the two series. Namco has plenty of man power. They also said its early in development, which means it won't be seeing a release anytime soon. When it is released, it'll be almost certainly arcade first and console later, which leaves a large multi-year gap between any console fighting game releases (which are just about their only profitable games), in which SC5 (or whatever they will call it) can nicely fit in (as it is unlikely to see an initial arcade release, going by SC3/4).

does anybody know how many copies of the latest Tekken has sold vs Soul Calibur 4? i'm sure Tekken is a bigger moneymaker but was curious if Soul Calibur is that far behind where they just leave all the fans in the dark.

Tekken 6 sold 1.8 million, SC4 sold 2.5 million.

Namco is not giving us the finger because Tekken is ass. How long is Tekken 7 going to last if Tekken 6 can barely last a few months?

I was looking at Namco's financial forecast for FY11 and they are doubling the amount of games they are releasing for the PS3 and X360. If Calibur is not in there somewhere, then I don't know what else they are planning to release that is going to sell the amount of units they are banking on Power Rangers and Naruto. We'll see what they got planned. If they don't have shit planned, I'll be playing Triangle For Titties.

i'm sure with that amount of games sold they aren't just going to close down this franchise. i like to think they are spending extra time with the next installment to really deliver the greatest Calibur game we have ever seen :D. Soul Calibur 5 will be released. too much money not too.

I will never understand why Tekken is more popular than Soul Calibur. Serious let down if this is all I get from E3

Tekken is more popular in Japan and Korea, but worldwide if it was so popular, then it would have outsold Soul Calibur. I bet the game wouldn't have sold as much as it did if the game didn't hit the bargain bin a few weeks after release. I bought the game on day one, and after a couple of weeks it was half price. Even the special edition was deeply discounted. Shitty games sell better when they're cheap.

Tekken is more popular in the aspect of there's still tournaments for the game and people willing to sponsor it or give big pot bonuses for the game at tournaments where as Calibur is dead and has been since last year.

it's over for this series NAMCO hates it

Now why would Namco hate one of its best selling franchises? That makes no sense. And Tekken 7 is still a rumor just like SC5 is a rumor. When they make some official statements or see what they announce at E3 or more likely TGS, we'll see.

Malice: SC4 has been out a lot longer than Tekken 6 and isn't too far behind in sales. I love both but SC will always be my first love.

Remember SC falls in the VF crowd like i said in a post before a lot of ppl have trouble learning SC and say tekken is more easy too pick up. I think we gonna get a SC5 just not anytime soon.

Imo, the game itself just doesnt attract and keep people.
On top of that, Namco doesn not even bother to help weakness.
It really is a slap in the face, the only thing we can do now is wait for an official announcement that they dont care about the series. Until then, just keep waiting for some SC5 news.

This announcement is hardly anything to worry about. I don't really get why people carry on this fighting game rivalry. There different games and different people work on them so the fact that T7 is on the way won't really interfere with SC. Also the announcement said the game was in development. That means the game won't be here so soon. I'm honestly not worried about IF they are making the next SC the only issue is when it will be released.

Combining 360 and PS3 sales SCIV sold 2.49 million and T6 sold 2.33 million. At the moment T6 isn't selling all that much. The week of Jan 23rd each version(PS3 360) sold 20,000 copies or less, so now months later there both probably not selling anywhere near that much anymore meaning if the game is lucky it will tie SC4 sales but it seems highly unlikely. That being said it would be idiotic for Namco to just stop developing the game.

Well, Tekken 6 hit the arcades on 2007, I think announcing that Tekken 7 is in production sounds reasonable. Anyway, Project Soul is a different team.

Back