New Blazblue game! "Chrono Phantasma"

Does this Blazblue CS sequel interest you

• Hell yes!!!

Votes: 41 52.6%
  • lol no.

Votes: 14 17.9%
  • I might be interested, but I need more info.

Votes: 23 29.5%

• Total voters
Unlocked Terumi and Kokonoe. I'm surprised at Kokonoe, I thought her gatlings would be much harder to use. She's pretty quick and kinda fun, but her challenge mode combos and her drive are pretty hard to grasp.

Terumi, well, I'm having trouble doing his 10 to 20 challenges. He's been really tricky for me.

In other news I finally got 20 challenges for Kagura complete, still working on izayoi and Jin.

Tried to play some more Izayoi, but man are her combos and attacks busy. You're pretty much rolling from forward to back constantly during combos. It's a bit crazy and kinda overwhelming for me. Meanwhile, with Kagura, I'm getting better with charge buffering, but I seem to have trouble grasping how his stances flow from each attack. More precisely, I know 2DC can combo into 6DA, but I don't know how to get 6DA to combo into 2DA. Not to mention his stance super; 5D28D is really tricky on the combo timing. I'm also beginning to realize that Kagura's more focused on the corner than on the mid-screen neutral game. But it still seems like he can play footsies pretty well.

Finished story mode! Gotta wonder what happened to Taokaka, Bullet and the final scene in the Sector 7 episode. Man, the final chapter episodes were pretty lengthy, and a direct pull from Shinto myth too. Lots of lingering questions too. For all the chattiness, they still failed to do exposition properly and explain certain things. The Master Unit, the Boundary et al are still pretty hazily explained.

Despite that, I'm eager to see where the story goes from here. I can already sort of predict which characters might finally become playable in the next game.

Unlocked Terumi and Kokonoe. I'm surprised at Kokonoe, I thought her gatlings would be much harder to use. She's pretty quick and kinda fun, but her challenge mode combos and her drive are pretty hard to grasp.
Nah, just grind that shit out. She has one of the easier challenge modes imo.

And for beginner friendliness. I think "beginner" characters might point to skill floor rather than skill cap. You can definitely just 3B ~ B a lot of new players to death with Sieg. You can also just do Kagura's built in stance overheads and invul cross ups and definitely win against other beginners too.

Nah, just grind that shit out. She has one of the easier challenge modes imo.

And for beginner friendliness. I think "beginner" characters might point to skill floor rather than skill cap. You can definitely just 3B ~ B a lot of new players to death with Sieg. You can also just do Kagura's built in stance overheads and invul cross ups and definitely win against other beginners too.

Well, I dunno if I'd use skill floor over barrier-to-entry, but I think that's sort of the gist of it. The way I see beginner friendliness is when the developers state or intend for the character to be friendly, but also through inputs, combos, and no real glaring weaknesses. Or rather, the character is overall balanced in offense and defense, a Ryu/Ken-type character that covers all the bases, but necessarily a strict copy of Ryu/Ken.

As for Kokonoe's challenges, you probably don't know me that well, but my execution is pretty crummy. I'm having a heckuva a time doing even basic stuff like Jin's 10-20 challenges. I can barely pull off a simple air combo, and I've been playing fighting games since Street Fighter 2 arrived at the arcades (and later championship edition). Kokonoe's combos mystify me, partially because the transcripts don't really specify exactly where (or even how) to put the graviton, and the timing is incredibly tricky for me. Certainly I'm a bit out of practice, but even Jin's advanced combos from CT and CS1/2 were pretty challenging and I could barely do them.

Right now, I think I want to focus on Kagura. I'm not certain just how practical his early challenge combos are (10-20), but he feels a lot easier to me, even though I don't quite get the flow between one stance attack to the next (nothing feels like it cancels into normals). Somehow, its possible to go from 2DC to 5DA to 6DC, but I can't get that 5DA to connect.

The way I see beginner friendliness is when the developers state or intend for the character to be friendly, but also through inputs, combos, and no real glaring weaknesses. Or rather, the character is overall balanced in offense and defense, a Ryu/Ken-type character that covers all the bases, but necessarily a strict copy of Ryu/Ken.
I guess it's more of whether you think of it as "beginner to fighting games" or "beginner to BlazBlue".

As for Kokonoe's challenges, you probably don't know me that well, but my execution is pretty crummy. I'm having a heckuva a time doing even basic stuff like Jin's 10-20 challenges.
I've never touched Jin until this game, but in his challenges his combos seemed a little tighter than what I was ready for. I wanted to learn Jin so that my friends would get to experience more match ups the challenge mode combos were just a huge turn off. A look at Dust Loop shows that his mid screen combos are crouching specific, counter hit specific, big character specific, and spacing specific (if you want to get that 3C in). That was too much for me for a character I didn't really understand.

I can barely pull off a simple air combo, and I've been playing fighting games since Street Fighter 2 arrived at the arcades (and later championship edition). Kokonoe's combos mystify me, partially because the transcripts don't really specify exactly where (or even how) to put the graviton, and the timing is incredibly tricky for me. Certainly I'm a bit out of practice, but even Jin's advanced combos from CT and CS1/2 were pretty challenging and I could barely do them.
There was a time when air combos were overwhelming for me, but I guess that time's gone though I still mess up some jump attack ~ land ~ rejump attack stuff. But you can just watch the Koko demonstrations. You can only put her graviton in 9 places. Cardinal and diagonal directions and neutral.

Actually typing that out brought back memories of tricky bits. I guess it's worse if you aren't that committed to the character. But it's definitely not that hardest thing you could do if you wanted to do it.[/quote]

Right now, I think I want to focus on Kagura. I'm not certain just how practical his early challenge combos are (10-20), but he feels a lot easier to me, even though I don't quite get the flow between one stance attack to the next (nothing feels like it cancels into normals). Somehow, its possible to go from 2DC to 5DA to 6DC, but I can't get that 5DA to connect.
I wouldn't buckle down too hard yet. Isn't the patch due this month? I think some Kagura players were saying "everything" was going to be changed. From how he is now. I hear he has difficult hit confirms, but it sounds like you're having trouble getting something to connect at all.

Specials don't cancel into normal. There may be exceptions to this, but I don't think there are. You need to link or do some sort of other cancel.

2DC to 5DA? 2DC is the one where he flapjacks the opponent behind him right? I think your combo must be meant to be done off the wall right? Then after 5DA you might be doing a dash cancel... Well actually looking at the frame data don't your stance moves special cancel into each other? I guess I'd have to try this myself to give you real advice, but I haven't had the PS3 in a while. We've had the Japanese version of the game and share it around.

Edit: Oh yeah, and do you play on stick or on pad?

Last edited:
2DC is the two hit move that hits mid then low and bounces them. 5DA is the move where Kagura slams his sword vertically in front of him then punches it. 2DA is an overhead that slams the opponent and supposedly, you can follow-up on this one a number of ways (haven't figure it out yet). 6DA and 6DB are the same move that bounces the opponent for an air combo. The B version acts like a cross-up.

You can do 2DC into 6DA and air combo from there. All his stances cancel into each other in various ways, but getting the timing down on when you can cancel is tricky. Not to mention which moves will effectively combo with other moves. There's a limit to how many stance cancels you can do (3, and you can't do them into the same stance. No 2DC -> 2DA, for example).

Overall, I like Kagura, he's a charge character that's rather cleverly designed. Charge characters have been a rare breed since many recent (and some older) games became focused heavily on speed and execution. Not to mention that Charge characters by their nature tend to be extremely limited on what can be done to improve or add new moves to them.

Edit; sorry, I play on pad, FYI.

Last edited:
Wouldn't mind playing anyone here. I'm in Austin, but I'm usually busy during the day and generally won't be available until 11pm or so.

Finished story mode! Gotta wonder what happened to Taokaka, Bullet and the final scene in the Sector 7 episode. Man, the final chapter episodes were pretty lengthy, and a direct pull from Shinto myth too. Lots of lingering questions too. For all the chattiness, they still failed to do exposition properly and explain certain things. The Master Unit, the Boundary et al are still pretty hazily explained.

Despite that, I'm eager to see where the story goes from here. I can already sort of predict which characters might finally become playable in the next game.

Bullet should be hospitalized after her fight with Azrael in Chronophantasma.

As for new playable possibilities, we have...

Phantom: Projectile zoner.
Mikado/Saya: No idea how she'd play, tbh.
F**KING JUBEI: Because Kokonoe's playable.
Celica: Another puppet makes me sad, but a healing/nullifier drive'd be cool, too.
Any of the Duodecim other than Kagura/Jin/Tsubaki: Other than Mai (from Remix Heart), anyone else would feel too rushed.

Honestly, if they don't add anyone to the cast I'll be ok with that. What I'm more excited about is what the next BB will look like. Have you seen how cool GG Xrd looks? It looks like they got a live action camera team inside of a cartoon (anime). I can't remember the last time I've been this blown away by a graphics engine. I'm still uncertain in some trailers whether I'm looking at a render or something hand drawn (though I kinda want to blame 360p quality).

My only concern is that they'll actually cut a large portion of the cast. No Johny? No Robo-Ky? No Dizzy? Do I even want to play the coolest game I've ever seen?

Bullet should be hospitalized after her fight with Azrael in Chronophantasma.

As for new playable possibilities, we have...

Phantom: Projectile zoner.
Mikado/Saya: No idea how she'd play, tbh.
F**KING JUBEI: Because Kokonoe's playable.
Celica: Another puppet makes me sad, but a healing/nullifier drive'd be cool, too.
Any of the Duodecim other than Kagura/Jin/Tsubaki: Other than Mai (from Remix Heart), anyone else would feel too rushed.

Going by previous games, we could see at least seven new characters. From what I've read, they are having trouble creating a good sprite for Jubei due to his size.

Phantom Nine is pretty obvious, especially after the reveal. I could now see Tenjo becoming playable thanks to the recent outline and Phantom's appearance. Plus, more conflict for Bang and Kagura.

I could see a evil Ragna showing up now. They"ve been hinting at it for a long time. Imperator seems obvious. Bullet's captain, even Amaterasu might make an appearance.

So I could see them throwing the kitchen sink of characters at us.

Gotta ask...

Why in the world did they give Kagura an attack (5B) that's slower than his 5-frame jab (5A) and with less reach? It's really fruity. Charge characters are supposed to have good normals!

Gotta ask...

Why in the world did they give Kagura an attack (5B) that's slower than his 5-frame jab (5A) and with less reach? It's really fruity. Charge characters are supposed to have good normals!
Maybe it's a low? It does have that attached B link.

EDIT: Searched on Dustloop for answers. 5B provides a longer combo time-frame than 5A. If you find combos starting with 5A are dropping, try 5B instead.

Last edited:
It's a "standing low." Which apparently gives it value that I guess I dont really understand. Especially since your overhead is i22 and your 5B is i8.

But really i8 really isn't that bad.

Bloody...

I still can't connect any of the stances. Kagura's throw changed too and I can no longer link it to 6B.

Back